Domestic violence to disorderly conduct..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hfastinks21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this non stop for the past year and I need some perspective as to whether or not this is a permanent roadblock for me and I should give up on medicine. I can't give my classes that special degree of interest and dedication with this hanging over my head.

Back in 2010, Me and my older brother got into an argument over the most incredibly dumb thing in the world (A pick-up basketball game result), against my better judgement, I was being a ***** and kept the argument going, eventually we were in each others faces and he shoved me down a small flight of stairs. I tumbled all the way to the end and bashed my head against the wall, and had a seizure. My mom saw all of this and called 911 for an ambulance, however, instead...the police showed up.

I was taken to the police car and questioned about what happened, my brother told the cops that I threatened to slit his throat after I woke up from being knocked out. They asked me if I needed medical attention to which I replied "No". I was then arrested for "Domestic Violence" and spent the night in jail, got out, lawyer'ed up, and eventually it was reduced to Disorderly Conduct - Persisting, a 4th degree misdemeanor. The charge was then sealed, however, I know I still have to disclose it. (He was charged with felonious assault).

This 10 second lapse of judgement feels like its going to cost me a career in medicine. I know AMCAS says not to list sealed offenses, but I will be applying AACOMAS most likely.

Am I screwed?

Members don't see this ad.

This is purely my opinion, but if this situation played out exactly as you described, I do not think that this is a deal-breaker for you. I think it helps that it was your brother, rather than a spouse or girlfriend. Everybody has altercations with siblings, and it is unfortunate that yours escalated to violence. I think you will have to explain why you said you were going to cut his throat though. That's troubling, to say the least.

I'm not sure why I said it, I was extremely angry at the time, and felt some emotions I never experienced before right at that moment. Without turning this into a defendant turned victim scenario, I'm not really sure how I would word this on applications. I'm thinking that even if I got accepted to school, Wouldn't I have an impossible time finding residency matches?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure why I said it, I was extremely angry at the time, and felt some emotions I never experienced before right at that moment. Without turning this into a defendant turned victim scenario, I'm not really sure how I would word this on applications. I'm thinking that even if I got accepted to school, Wouldn't I have an impossible time finding residency matches?
You have a single misdemeanor. It isn't a sexual offense or drug related, so I don't see why it would affect licensing, therefore it shouldn't be a problem for you for residency applications. Obviously talk to school admissions offices (call them without giving your name, of course) and see what they say about it.

Unless the sequence of events you describe, including the threat you uttered, are a matter of public record, you don't have to tell anyone exactly what you said. A simple "I was involved in a fight over a stupid and immature argument with my brother. I was charged with a misdemeanor and he was charged with a felony. I learned ___ and ___ from this, and I have grown from this event by ___ and ___." should be plenty of explanation.

More questions might be asked, and it would look like a negative on your application, but I don't think it would completely eliminate your chances of medical school.

Only thing is, on the criminal complaint, it says "threatened to slit his brothers throat, in violation of XXXX.XX orc " and I have no doubt that the background check will produce this document.

So the doctrine of competing harms comes to mind here, do I mention what I said and be totally and completely honest, and probably have the interview people stare at me and give a polite grin before they pop my app in the garbage as i walk out the door, OR do I simply say I was convicted of this crime because I got into and argument with my brother and threatened him after he pushed me. This was a terrible mistake on my part, and I accept full responsibility for it.

I just don't know.

Only thing is, on the criminal complaint, it says "threatened to slit his brothers throat, in violation of XXXX.XX orc " and I have no doubt that the background check will produce this document.

So the doctrine of competing harms comes to mind here, do I mention what I said and be totally and completely honest, and probably have the interview people stare at me and give a polite grin before they pop my app in the garbage as i walk out the door, OR do I simply say I was convicted of this crime because I got into and argument with my brother and threatened him after he pushed me. This was a terrible mistake on my part, and I accept full responsibility for it.

I just don't know.
Pay to have a background check run on yourself, and see what actually pops up. It is better to know than to not know, going into this. If there are no specifics, you could easily avoid bringing it up.

Thank you for all your replies so far, I greatly appreciate it. I have done multiple background checks on myself, and nothing at all comes back, however, the medical schools use a different check called Certiphi, and they can see all the sealed records clear as daylight.

I called Certiphi and they told me they will not run a "AMCAS/AACOMAS type check on me without actually sending in applications (Which I am quite aways from doing).

Thank you for all your replies so far, I greatly appreciate it. I have done multiple background checks on myself, and nothing at all comes back, however, the medical schools use a different check called Certiphi, and they can see all the sealed records clear as daylight.

I called Certiphi and they told me they will not run a "AMCAS/AACOMAS type check on me without actually sending in applications (Which I am quite aways from doing).
Ah, interesting. I was under the impression you could get a full Certiphi background check, the same as the application one, simply by paying for it. In that case, maybe talk to your lawyer about how to access the information about exactly what the report will say, maybe you can get that report despite what the person at Certiphi said....

I think, though, telling the adcoms what happened, that a heat-of-the-moment threat was made after being knocked down a flight of stairs, would counter the face-value impression the phrase "I'll slit your throat" leaves. Not sure the best way to explain it, if they will see the full report, but I still think you could have a chance, if this is your only red flag (i.e. numbers are strong, EC's, etc.) :luck:

I just don't know.

No it will not, it will simply say convicted of Disorderly conduct dropped from domestic violence. It will not mention the throat slitting details or any details of the actual incident at all. On the Certiphi report it will simply list charge, conviction, dates and penalties (fines, jail times) that's it! so don't worry. Honestly, this will hinder your chances by a bit but it should not be a deal breaker though especially since it was a childish fight with your brother. Everyone fights with their siblings, just because the cops showed up and started putting charges doesn't mean you're a criminal. I'm sure ADCOM will understand that. So, don't sweat this and try to wait a couple years, hire a lawyer and try to get this expunged. Once it's expunged you won't even have to list or explain this whole fight with your brother.

Last edited: