Dominican Republic Medschool??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slatka000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend said he may be going to the Dominican Republic to attend some med school there. He said he can transfer there without even finishing his major, that is cheaper, and that when he is done all he needs to do is take a test to validate his studies. he also mentioned he doesnt even need to take the MCAT!
how much of this is true?
would this mean he is going to be under student visa?
what is the catch? what are the requirements?
please help, i dont want him to make a huge mistake
thank you for your time

Members don't see this ad.

The catch is that he'll likely be one of the stunningly high number of students who fail out of Carib schools, or that he'll have extreme limitations on where and how he can get a residency. And that he'll likely have a debt load on the other side that prevents him from having anything like a comfortable life for a long, long time.

Maybe somebody can correct the following, but didn't I just read that the big 4 Carib schools won't even let you take the boards if they don't think you'll pass?

Fast & easy is really not the way to go to med school, imho.

This is correct. They base whether or not you are ready to take the exam on your ability to do well on the shelf exam. If you don't do well, you can't sit for the boards.

Also, 3 or the big 4 require the MCAT. The only exception is Saba that will waive it if you did not receive a C in any pre-req and you did not take any classes at a cc. The fact that the person claims not MCAT is required tells me that he/she is likely not going to one of the Big 4.

The problems are amplified ten-fold if you are at a Carib med school which is not one of the Big 4.

Maybe somebody can correct the following, but didn't I just read that the big 4 Carib schools won't even let you take the boards if they don't think you'll pass?

Fast & easy is really not the way to go to med school, imho.

I speak from experience when I say that if you have any chance whatsoever to attend a US medical school, you should do so.
You suffer to get in, but afterwards you'll have your choice of residency (for the most part).
Pay the piper now or pay him later....
The experience in the DR can be very frustrating to someone used to an american lifestyle.