sulki916

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2006
40
0
Status
hello sdn! =) i just took my DAT and these are my scores.

BIO 20 :confused:
GCHEM 29
OCHEM 29

PAT 18 ( :( expected... i suck at pat)

RC 23
QR 25

AA 25 TS 23 :)


Here is the confusing part.. as you can see.. avg of my science score should be 26, but the report I recieved says that my science score is 23. It says on my report that " total science is NOT the average of the three science standard scores." :confused: i thought it was the AVG.... very confused. any thoughts?!

here is my two cents on orgo and chem- KEY to doing well is DOING PROBLEMS over and over until you MASTER them. ochem and gchem are much easier on DAT! BIO is really TRICKY!! ( i really do not know what i did wrong.. BIO was my HIGHEST scores on th practice test! do not trust your test scores!) and everything else is the same. i used kaplan, topscore, dat achiver, and my biology textbook...


for those who havent taken it yet.. hang on tight it will be over soon! =)

feel free to ask questions.. ill try my best to answer them! :luck:
 

Chrono1984

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2006
314
0
Chicago
Status
Dental Student
The AA is the only score that is the average of all sections (exluding PAT).

Your TS is your raw score out of the 100 questions. As in 92/100 or whatever you ended up with. The three sections are not averaged out.
 
About the Ads
OP
S

sulki916

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2006
40
0
Status
im happy with my scores.. but unhappy with how i found about the total science...
 

issa

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2005
561
0
Status
did you do the problems in the chemistry and organic chemistry books or not?
and did you get any biochemistry questions in the organic chem section?
which topics did you see a lot in the science sections?

congrats, 25AA is going to get you in for sure.
 

sonysonysony

10+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
23
0
Status
Pre-Dental
really really nice scores. how did you study for your gchem and ochem? Did you find kaplan sufficient for these or did you find them insufficient?

Thanks

sulki916 said:
hello sdn! =) i just took my DAT and these are my scores.

BIO 20 :confused:
GCHEM 29
OCHEM 29

PAT 18 ( :( expected... i suck at pat)

RC 23
QR 25

AA 25 TS 23 :)


Here is the confusing part.. as you can see.. avg of my science score should be 26, but the report I recieved says that my science score is 23. It says on my report that " total science is NOT the average of the three science standard scores." :confused: i thought it was the AVG.... very confused. any thoughts?!

here is my two cents on orgo and chem- KEY to doing well is DOING PROBLEMS over and over until you MASTER them. ochem and gchem are much easier on DAT! BIO is really TRICKY!! ( i really do not know what i did wrong.. BIO was my HIGHEST scores on th practice test! do not trust your test scores!) and everything else is the same. i used kaplan, topscore, dat achiver, and my biology textbook...


for those who havent taken it yet.. hang on tight it will be over soon! =)

feel free to ask questions.. ill try my best to answer them! :luck:
 

caroochy

Bigger than yours
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2005
38
0
Status
Pre-Dental
any topics covered that were unexpected or out of the ordinary??
 

RockstarDMD

sUcCeSs iS mY OnLY OpTioN
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 17, 2005
501
0
Accepted
Status
Awesome scores. Congrats!
 

ddsjymaeng

dentalschoolgogogo
10+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2006
437
0
35
Status
Pre-Dental
just curious... with that stat
which state r u in?
 

thehipster

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2006
312
0
NYC
Status
Dental Student
Did you take any Topscore or DAT achiever tests? What were your scores on those?
 

tom_servo_dds

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
244
0
Status
Pre-Dental
sulki916 said:
hello sdn! =) i just took my DAT and these are my scores.

BIO 20 :confused:
GCHEM 29
OCHEM 29

PAT 18 ( :( expected... i suck at pat)

RC 23
QR 25

AA 25 TS 23 :)
Congratulations, great scores! :thumbup:
 

sgdorfl90

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 12, 2005
281
0
Status
where are you applying....25 has become a norm nowadays.
 
OP
S

sulki916

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2006
40
0
Status
:) thanks everyone!

- took chemistry three years ago and I did not remember one single thing from my class, so kaplan review notes helped me with the basics then i solved the problem sets and practice tests. i got so many of them wrong at first, but i kept doing the problems i got wrong until i got them right. i did not use my chemistry textbook. i really do not think it is necessary. chemistry covered in kaplan is more than enough in my opinion. just make sure that you nail everything that are covered in the problem sets and the practice tests.

- did use my organic chemistry textbook to study, but i only read certain chapters. i found just reading kaplan did not really help me to understand the reactions.

- did not solved problems from my textbook. i had plenty of problems from kaplan, achiever, and top score.

-hese are my achiever scores, but i did these tests while i was studying not when i was ready:

BIO: 16,15,17
CHEM: 19,15,17
ORGO: 19,19,18

i am not going to post my scores from top score because I did those test twice and my scores are not accurate...

- did see many tricky questions in bio but they were not detailed questions but i still thought they were tricky. for orgo and chem.. nail your basics! reactions, pv=nrt, periodic trends, sn1,e1sn2,e2...etc.. you get the idea :rolleyes:

-dsjymaeng- i am also korean :) living in ny but i am not an international student. i am applying to columbia, upenn, nyu, tufts, stony,buffalo, bu michigan, and temple and maybe usc. (geezz.. i need to send them asap!)


i hope i answered all the questions... goodluck everyone! i got so sick of studying in the middle.. but just hang on! :oops:
 

Clover

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2005
125
0
Status
Pre-Dental
awesome scores! thanks for answering my questions. good luck with your applications!
 

messenger

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2006
214
0
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
sulki916 said:
:) thanks everyone!

- took chemistry three years ago and I did not remember one single thing from my class, so kaplan review notes helped me with the basics then i solved the problem sets and practice tests. i got so many of them wrong at first, but i kept doing the problems i got wrong until i got them right. i did not use my chemistry textbook. i really do not think it is necessary. chemistry covered in kaplan is more than enough in my opinion. just make sure that you nail everything that are covered in the problem sets and the practice tests.

- did use my organic chemistry textbook to study, but i only read certain chapters. i found just reading kaplan did not really help me to understand the reactions.

- did not solved problems from my textbook. i had plenty of problems from kaplan, achiever, and top score.

-hese are my achiever scores, but i did these tests while i was studying not when i was ready:

BIO: 16,15,17
CHEM: 19,15,17
ORGO: 19,19,18

i am not going to post my scores from top score because I did those test twice and my scores are not accurate...

- did see many tricky questions in bio but they were not detailed questions but i still thought they were tricky. for orgo and chem.. nail your basics! reactions, pv=nrt, periodic trends, sn1,e1sn2,e2...etc.. you get the idea :rolleyes:

-dsjymaeng- i am also korean :) living in ny but i am not an international student. i am applying to columbia, upenn, nyu, tufts, stony,buffalo, bu michigan, and temple and maybe usc. (geezz.. i need to send them asap!)


i hope i answered all the questions... goodluck everyone! i got so sick of studying in the middle.. but just hang on! :oops:
thank you and congrats! could i please ask you about the tricky topics that you are talking about! :) just an idea? thank you!! enjoy! :)
messenger.
 

4thQtrDreams

Good times, for a change.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2004
455
0
San Francisco
www.predents.com
Status
Dental Student
Great scores!

After your post i decided i will not spend much time on orgo theory (ie reading through chapter by chapter). took orgo 1 & 2 all with a year and got A's .. I feel im forgetting my orgo and i havent started studying it yet but i will just leaf through the kaplan review notes, and perhaps my text book.. then do problems and dig for answers when needed..

Does this sound like a good idea?
 
OP
S

sulki916

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2006
40
0
Status
4thQtrDreams said:
Great scores!

After your post i decided i will not spend much time on orgo theory (ie reading through chapter by chapter). took orgo 1 & 2 all with a year and got A's .. I feel im forgetting my orgo and i havent started studying it yet but i will just leaf through the kaplan review notes, and perhaps my text book.. then do problems and dig for answers when needed..

Does this sound like a good idea?

im not sure how much you remeber from your classs, but i would take the diagnostic test and see how i score in orgo and go from there... if you do well then you can just review.. i think personally, orgo is easier to study for than bio and chem since it is limited to reactions..

good luck with studying! :)
 
About the Ads