Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Don't Believe the Hype!

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by Skip Intro, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Skip Intro

Skip Intro Registered User
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    For those of you who have seen this story...

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/09/13/alligator.alley/index.html

Don't believe it! I know these guys personally. This hypersensitive, overactive woman apparently miscontrued a conversation she was eavesdropping on. And, if you read the article carefully, there was absolutely nothing found in the cars or the background searches that link them to terrorism.

They were, in fact, only driving from Chicago to Miami to start the Fifth Semester program. They obviously stopped for the night in Georgia, and this woman - who'd probably NEVER before in person seen someone wearing a tagia - thought they were suspicious. Suddenly, a common conversation about the travails of studying medicine, and their friends who've been left behind in Dominica, turns into a terrorist plot.

I'm all for doing the right thing as a U.S. citizen, but I hope this woman apologizes openly - and that gets the same press that this story did - when the full truth about this gross mistake comes to light. This is the kind of wreckless journalism that gives the Caribbean a bad name. Furthermore, this kind of racist profiling is a terrible, terrible example of precisely how the U.S. gets a bad name in the world.

When the truth is told, everyone will see that this was a HUGE misunderstanding. I am 100% confident in that.

-Skip Intro

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. WowMD

WowMD Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yeah, I just heard that news too. I heard that these 3 middle eastern med students are from Ross! Carib rep will be bad to worse now...

4. Skip Intro

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well, the let them go. And they didn't really mention Ross straight-out or on the TV at all. That's good, I suppose. Yet, I heard that the Miami local news did like a 10-minute segment on Ross during the coverage this afternoon.

But, I know these guys. I'm sure that the lady in Georgia was giving them dirty stares or something, if the prank thing is true at all. (I believe very little of what I see in the media at face value these days.)

-Skip

5. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You guys, please post in the pre-allo thread entitled "OMG...etc." I'm copying a link to this thread in it. Seems people are all for jumping to conclusions.

6. marleybfour

marleybfour Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Skip,

I too believe that the lady probably gave them a dirty look, but I also believe AND they admitted to the police that they said the things about 9/13 to freak her out. I find their behaviour incorrigible. If you want to "pretend to be a terrorist" be prepared to be treated like one. They probably cost this state a few thousand dollars today, never mind the problems involved with the closing of a major roadway. At bare minimum I would expell them from school.

7. blueflamer

blueflamer New Member

to marleyb4,

"I too believe that the lady probably gave them a dirty look, but I also believe AND they admitted to the police that they said the things about 9/13 to freak her out. I find their behaviour incorrigible. If you want to "pretend to be a terrorist" be prepared to be treated like one. They probably cost this state a few thousand dollars today, never mind the problems involved with the closing of a major roadway. At bare minimum I would expell them from school."

how can you be sure of this? there is no evidence of their conversation (i.e., no recording), not even other witnesses besides her son. Everything is based on heresay.

I think those medical students should sue both the woman and the police for the embarrassment and emotional hardship that they've been caused. they didn't deserve to be treated like the way thery were and who knows, maybe the woman was just looking for some attention since she has nothing to do. Who knows? she could be a terrorist??? maybe i'll call up the police and report on an alleged conversation by her. that's exactly what she did to those med students.

that's my 2 cents USD (~ 4 cents AUD)

8. Skip Intro

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Actually, Amman, one of the guys involved (and the guy who I know), has categorically denied saying anything of the sort. Again, I totally 100% believe him. I know his character and I can tell you that he is one of the nicest, most open, gentlest people who walks the face of this earth. He is such a straight shooter that I believe if the OTHER two had started joking around about it, he would have told them to stop because it wasn't funny.

Now, having lived in that part of Georgia, I can tell you that there are a bunch of racists types there. Also, knowing at least one of the key players involved - a future physician - and the likelihood that some waitress in Georgia got the story right, who should I believe?

Like I said in the title of this thread, "Don't believe the hype." I too hope this story comes out and she's exposed for the liar she is. She reacted - or overreacted - to a situation that she maybe thought was there, but actually wasn't. Again, I seriously doubt she'd ever seen a guy who looks like Amman before in her life (he's got a long beard and wears a tagia all the time). Now she's lying trying to backtrack. That's my read.

9. I excerpted this from CNN.

NAPLES, Florida (CNN) -- The Georgia woman who prompted Friday's terror scare was "flat-out lying" when she told authorities she overheard three Muslim men at a restaurant laughing about September 11 and making suspicious comments, one of the men said late Friday.

"How many other people witnessed this event that supposedly took place, first of all? Did they ask the server who served us? Did they ask anybody else that was in the restaurant? How is it that one person can pick up a phone and make any statement that they will and we end up [in custody]?" said Ayman Gheith at a rest area shortly after they were released.

"What she has said is obviously a lie."
    Gheith has a bushy black beard and was wearing traditional Muslim headgear. "She saw obviously the way I was dressed, and maybe she put a little salt and pepper in her story," he said.

Asked about his "suggestion" that the woman might have lied, he said, "I'm not suggesting, I'm telling you she's flat-out lying."

This smells of prejudice to me. 3 Muslim Men eating at a Shoney's in the deep South. Not exactly a place one would go
    to talk about causing terrorist acts. This either the story of a bigoted lady, or very very poor judgment on 3 medical students. I'm very suspicious about this.

Click here for a free newsletter for IMGs

10. IRON_DUKE

IRON_DUKE MEDICAL RED NECK ROYALTY
    7+ Year Member

In times like these better to be on the safe side and make sure that these guys were cool .

I believe that the police over reacted . Why so much hoopla ? I mean a couple of agents and a day or two to interview I am sure would have been enough . But jeez high speed chases and all that crap , just makes things worse . Seems to me some LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY or BRASS wants to get famous for catching the next 9 11 . FORGET IT . I dont think that SHONEYS is like the terrorist hot spot .

Now they did not help the situation by BLOWING PAST THE TOLL BOOTH ( according to the newspaper ) . But hey lots of people like to have a RUSH , and that is no big deal .

I am sure these dudes have not been busting their tales in med school to run off and do dumb things .

11. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member