Don't do what I did--double check your interview day!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

megkudos

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow I thought I'd share a story of my stupidity with you all. So I'm still on break and I've been sleeping a lot, working a little, and bumming around with friends for 4 weeks.

I got an interview at UMDNJ-Robert Wood about a month ago. It was gonna be on this Thursday...or so I thought. I had it in my head for the past month that I was interviewing the Thursday before my classes started.

So last night I'm trying to go to sleep it's like 2am and I'm laying there.....all the sudden I get this weird feeling and I jump up and look at my med school folders and I look at my Robert Wood folder and I look at the letter they sent me and whoops....my interview is WEdnesday (today)!!! at 11am.

The funny part is the only reason I realized it is I was thinking...gee Americal Pie 2 came out on video today, Jan 15th. Then I vaguely remembered that my interview date was Jan. 16th....hmmm that means it's....tomorrow!!

Anyway I called my boss and told him that I couldn't go to work and went to my interview and it went pretty well I think.

So the moral of the story is....double check your interview date. Good thing I live about 3 blocks from Robert wood and not a state away or I would have been screwed!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Good catch!

When I went to my Rochester interview, we were one person short in the interview group. "Why?" you might ask... Well, it seems that person X booked a flight to New York, as in CITY, and thought that he/she would take a cab to Rochester, which is approximately 6 hours away from New York City. He/she thought that it would be close by because, well, Rochester is in New York and so is the City.

Moral of the story: When you are double checking your interview date, check a map as well. States can be big.

(By the way, the story was verified/told to us by the student he/she was supposed to be staying with. The secretary thought it was pretty funny.)

mma

wow, I wish I could be that laid back about the whole process!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I can just imagine the cab driver when that guy hopped into his cab and said "Rochester".

:D :D :D

It's like in Splash with Tom Hanks tells the cab driver "Cape Cod"--same level of ridiculousness. (Although, maybe if she had flashed hundreds of dollars at him some miracle might have happened for her! :D )

I wonder if they rescheduled her interview...

;)

mma

oldernotwiser--
Had this interview been a month ago I would never had been that laid back. I have been fortunate enough to have gotten into another school that I am pretty sure I will attend next fall. I don't want to cross Robert Wood off my list just yet though because it is in state and I am not totally sure yet. Well anyway I apologize if I sounded like an indifferent fool in my original post :) I didn't mean for it...I think I was still hyper from the days events....

Originally posted by mma:
•Good catch!

When I went to my Rochester interview, we were one person short in the interview group. "Why?" you might ask... Well, it seems that person X booked a flight to New York, as in CITY, and thought that he/she would take a cab to Rochester, which is approximately 6 hours away from New York City. He/she thought that it would be close by because, well, Rochester is in New York and so is the City.

Moral of the story: When you are double checking your interview date, check a map as well. States can be big.

(By the way, the story was verified/told to us by the student he/she was supposed to be staying with. The secretary thought it was pretty funny.)

mma•••

speaking of checking maps and states being big, it turns out that states can exist too. i'm from iowa (not the most populous/popular state, i realize) and was interviewing yesterday when another applicant asked me where iowa was (we were in ILLINOIS). he went on to mention that, until a few days earlier, he'd thought that illinois bordered canada. so, geographical ignorance may not be as uncommon as you think.