Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Dont drive a car in Boston

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Dr.BadVibes, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Dr.BadVibes

Dr.BadVibes Membership Revoked
    Removed

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Calculus1

Calculus1 G.V. Black Fan
    7+ Year Member

But Avin, it's a "lifestyle".

4. SillyRabbit

SillyRabbit Trix R 4 Kidz
    10+ Year Member

I wonder if Tom's wife is a dentist.... :laugh:

5. Dr.BadVibes

Removed

I just wanted to barf all over myself after reading that.....

6. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

Boston is for SERIOUS drivers only... this is not a place to practice.

7. drPheta

drPheta Some random guy
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Yeah, I've said it before, and I'll say it again. BOSTON SUCKS NADS FOR DRIVING. It's easily THE WORST place I've been to with my car. Luckily, I only use my car to drive to the grocery store and home to NJ. Otherwise, I wouldn't even have her up here.

8. Balki

Balki The Perfect Stranger
    7+ Year Member

Guys I just wanted to add to that I drive in NYC all the time and it's pretty raugh. (cabbies, cabbies). But one gets used to it. But BOSTON is whole other world, there is some serious stuff going on in that city. and Besides there is like absolutely NO praking in there. So be ware!

9. Bickle

Bickle future NYC taxi driver
    10+ Year Member

Balki, you drive in Manhattan?? I thought that would be suicide??

10. drPheta

drPheta Some random guy
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Another note about Boston, the pothole situation is horrendous. The state blames the contractors, and the contractors blame the state. Are the potholes still there? YUP! Even the ones that have been reported. Additionally, the state can't even print out a list of the existing reported potholes...so much for efficiency and responsibility.

Did I mention how much I hate driving in Boston? Mind you, I'm a bridge and tunnel guy from the Tri-State area, and I love NY city. At least they fix their potholes.

11. UBTom

UBTom Class '04 official geezer
    10+ Year Member

LOL, driving in NYC is actually not too bad... You just have to learn the etiquettes of the road, such as leaning on your horn loudly when a yellow cab cuts you off, roll down your window, and give the cabbie the finger accompanied by some choice language. :D

Seriously though, in Manhattan the driving itself isn't so bad... It's the slow-moving traffic and gridlock that really grates on the nerves. And the lack of parking space.

In all the other boroughs you drive normally.. Only Manhattan seems to be its own little world. :p

12. Balki

Balki The Perfect Stranger
    7+ Year Member

I do drive in Manhattan, but I have a very small civic, and with open windows screaming at the cabs +driving like a cab I am ok:)
    Well depending on the time of the day it's not so bad. Nights are actually much better and then I know that rush hour and FDR don't go together. : :D
    You can actually find Parking in NY, again depending on the time. But Boston is infamous for having NO parking available. At least my impression when I was there

13. gryffindor

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    That's why when I get my own over-priced closet (aka studio) in Manhattan come July, I am leaving my green Civic behind in Buffalo. I hate driving and am overjoyed at the thought of getting rid of my car.

No need for a car, I'm gonna buy me some sneakers (and Manolos when I can afford them) and walk Manhattan block by block!

14. Bickle

Bickle future NYC taxi driver
    10+ Year Member

Wow! I LOVES my car....LOVES my car!! A car is an absolute must up here in Calgary. Thats the one thing I'm not looking forward to in Boston; I'm going to have to abandon my fuel efficient civic in Cowtown. :mad:

15. Dr.BadVibes

Removed

hahah......I guess someone really likes to drive their car in Boston and took offense, cause someone gave me bad karma for this thread...cheers! :cool:

16. UBTom

10+ Year Member

My take on owning a car in NYC...

For the complete NYC experience, one really needs a car. Because as wonderful as the NYC subway system is, once you venture outside Manhattan, public transportation gets spread out and does not reach all the outlying (and interesting!) areas of NYC.

If one wants to get around in Queens for the weekend for example (such as dining out in Flushing), or go shopping at Roosevelt Field in Garden City on LI, or those huge department store malls in New Jersey like Paramus, or Jones Beach on a nice summer day, or go for a round of golf at Clearview, a car is mandatory.

That's why whenever I go home to Queens for the holidays, I drive my trusty Jeep down there. :)

17. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

What do Boston and Paris have in common? - Their crazy Taxi drivers. :)

Taxi drivers in Boston are the most notorious drivers of all. They will run through red lights, pedestrian crossings, even run the opposite direction on one-way streets.

It's a Jungle out here. :D

18. sxr71

sxr71 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

You can take the train from 34th street station to Newark International Airport and get a rental car for $20 and then use for your weekend jaunts. I say this as someone who won't be able to afford park my car in Manhattan.

In any case, I actually love driving in Manhattan from the days when I used to live in NJ. There's a certain feeling about driving there that cannot be had elsewhere. Living there, I will miss driving my car in the city though (maybe I can ask my parents to bring it over when they visit from Ohio).

The one time I took my car to Boston, it was a living nightmare.

As for the prices on these spots, I'd actually have to say that they look like good investments. If your daily parking rate is $30, then your monthly rate for 22 working days can add up to over $600 which as the article mentions is getting close to the monthly payment on a mortgage for the spot. The 175,000 spot must be right next to the pedestrian bridge or a nice ground level one next to the elevator. I'd lease that spot out for $40 a day or put a little credit card machine that validates your parking for a day for $40 (j/k). I can't even imagine how that spot will appreciate in value. It's actually a good way for a small time real estate investor to leverage the real estate market in a major metropolis.

19. UBTom

10+ Year Member

LOL, problem with that scheme is, you got to spend half a day just getting or returning the car. :p

There might be a potential compromise though.. Lately there has been some nice waterfront developments on the Queens side of the East River and on the Jersey side of the Hudson. These places have an awesome view, and are close enough to Manhattan to make commuting less painful but at the same time lets you keep a car.

I checked out Queens West but the rent there is kind of steep.. $2800 for a single bedroom. Convenient though-- Parking not a problem, and the #7 train is right there, 1 stop to 42nd and Lex/Grand Central Station. Wonder what those riverside apts on the Jersey side costs..

Then again, I'll probably move to Long Island in a coupla years anyway. :D

20. sxr71

sxr71 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

^^^ Do you really think it takes that long to get or return the car? I remember from 3 years ago that it took maybe 15 minutes to get from NY Penn Station to Newark Penn station and maybe another 15 minutes to EWR. Maybe it's changed recently or I'm not thinking about it right. I remember that Elizabeth to the Lincoln tunnel was about a 20 minute drive at most and on weekends there are usually no delays getting into or out of Manhattan. However I can see how this can become a 2 hour adventure and if you return it the same day that would be 4 hours of your day wasted (which is half a day). I would probably just keep it over the whole weekend and pay the $$ for overnight parking. I love exploring new places, and I'd look at it as a mini vacation.

As for Queens West - I'm beginning school, not getting ready to reap the payoff! :D

On a more serious note, Edgewater, NJ wasn't insanely expensive when I checked 3 years ago. Apartments there cost less than in Manhattan, but I'd have to take the ferry into NYC if I'm not mistaken. Hoboken and Jersey City had some good areas to live and they both have access to PATH if I remember correctly. I think I'm going to mix up my living experiences over the 4 years I'm there, probably start with an apartment in Manhattan, then maybe try NJ, and finish off with the Brooklyn or Queens experience. What a city!