MD Don't Know How to Choose

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rishikish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm currently a junior in college and I don't plan to apply until I graduate, but I still am planning to take the MCAT this August. Here are my stats so far:

3.61 cGPA/3.55 sGPA
Assistant manager at Dunkin Donuts for two years until it shut down
Treasurer of two clubs during sophomore year
Taught English in Kenya for 3-4 months over the summer
Part of a local hindu temple summer tutoring program for about five years (tutoring high school kids and middle schoolers)
Volunteering at Grady Hospital for almost two years now
Cofounded a NGO in Kenya that provides health supplies to women and free medical checkups

Few notes:
Economically disadvantaged (Dad makes 16,000 a year, and it is a major reason for me going into medicine)
Transferred schools (It was getting expensive to commute by car, so now I take MARTA to GSU)
Non-URM

Members don't see this ad.

What's your questions?

And there is no point guessing your chances without your MCAT. You would additionally need some shadowing or more medically related experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I meant to ask what schools to choose to apply to that don't emphasize research.

What's your questions?

And there is no point guessing your chances without your MCAT. You would additionally need some shadowing or more medically related experience.
I plan to shadow a doc senior year, but I do have some medical experience:

Volunteering at a hospital for almost two years now
Starting a medical NGO

Sorry, I meant to ask what schools to choose to apply to that don't emphasize research.

I plan to shadow a doc senior year, but I do have some medical experience:

Volunteering at a hospital for almost two years now
Starting a medical NGO
The MCAT is the lynchpin around which an application spins.
Most schools emphasize research but may overlook its absence depending on other strengths.

Well, then I guess I'll have to wait till I take the 2015MCAT.

Well, then I guess I'll have to wait till I take the 2015MCAT.
No need to worry about those things too much in advance. Enjoy the last year of your undergrad and continue to build up your application.

To me this kind of sounds like you are going into medicine for money. I would have a good way to explain why this is your major reason.
Oh no, sorry I was on mobile so I didn't feel like typing out an entire explanation. Growing up, my dad has always had medical problems (mostly in the lumbar area and kidneys). Because we couldn't afford to see the doctor, me and my sis had Medicaid so we were fine, he had to (still does) work part-time at my uncle's convenience store (my uncle has helped us a lot!) The reason for me going into medicine is because I have seen first hand how not being able to see a doctor and get treatment causes a severe drawback in everything: owning a house, being independent, and having a good foundation for a family-a ripple effect if you will.

Last edited: