Don't know if its worth applying this cycle, Serious Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WorriedPreDentStudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
----

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reapplicants are not frowned upon --unless you have done nothing different to really improve yourself &/or application since last applying. I had several friends reapply 2-4 (yes, 4) times and finally got in. Usually there are sections for reapplicants to explain (in essay) what they have done differently. Make sure to change up your personal statement & LORs. Apply broadly & you'll be fine :)

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't bank on Howard. Since you're not URM. Being a re-applicant isn't a disadvantage at all. If anything it would make you more competitive as long as you make improvements to your application between cycles.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Banking on Howard as an Asian (not URM) tells me you haven't really done a lot of research regarding dental school selections. Re-applicants are usually looked upon favorably (as long as your app is strengthened); it shows you want to get in.

You said you have 2 "okay" letters; you should do everything in your power to make your application as strong as possible. How do you know they aren't that great?

Not sure where you heard that they looked down upon reapplicants...as for being Asian you're more of a ORM (over-represented minority) rather than URM so don't bank on Howard

Thanks everyone for responding.

The reapplicant thing was mentioned by the predent committee advisor at my university to all the predent students. Idk why she said what she said then. Maybe shes trying to prevent people from applying who wont make it so she can boost the university's acceptance rate stats?

As for Howard, I know exactly what you mean. I originally did not have it as an option at all. However, one of my good friends (Who is Indian), got in 2 cycles ago and told me to definitely apply there. He said there was actually a surprising amount of asians that got accepted (I'm indian btw, but asian is the ethnicity we select). That's why I chose to add it on there.

But based on my stats, what would you guys say my chances are?

You said you have 2 "okay" letters; you should do everything in your power to make your application as strong as possible. How do you know they aren't that great?

I never really got to know any my science professors like that. So I kinda just asked some chill ones that I got an A with. So idk how much they can say exactly, im going to meet with them soon and discuss things, but just expecting the worst possible scenario. (I know they'd write positive letters, just dont know how good they will be)

Id take advisor committee advice with a grain of salt.. I've even heard the opposite, that some schools look in favor of reapplicants (take that with a grain of salt as well).

As far of LOR, I wouldn't stress about how good they are. I wasn't close to my professors but I did well in their classes. You seem like a competitive applicant to me. I would think of a good answer to how you improved your application since the first application as they might ask that.

What were your stats the first time you applied?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Id take advisor committee advice with a grain of salt.. I've even heard the opposite, that some schools look in favor of reapplicants (take that with a grain of salt as well).

As far of LOR, I wouldn't stress about how good they are. I wasn't close to my professors but I did well in their classes. You seem like a competitive applicant to me. I would think of a good answer to how you improved your application since the first application as they might ask that.

What were your stats the first time you applied?

This is the first time Im applying, I'm asking incase I dont get accepted and what to do to strengthen my application either now or for the future if I have to reapply >.<

Ty tho!

This is the first time Im applying, I'm asking incase I dont get accepted and what to do to strengthen my application either now or for the future if I have to reapply >.<

Ty tho!

Oh sorry I read your post wrong! You're talking about applying this coming June then? You should be totally fine, maybe add a couple schools to your list. Don't worry so much yet! Apply early.

Oh sorry I read your post wrong! You're talking about applying this coming June then? You should be totally fine, maybe add a couple schools to your list. Don't worry so much yet! Apply early.

Yep! Thanks man, seriously worried here :/

Hey guys, just wondering if its even worth me applying this cycle. I really want to get into dental school ASAP but I heard reapplying isn't a good thing to do since dental schools tend to not favor reapplicants. (Applying to schools twice isnt an issue $ wise, ive saved up enough and I have solid fam support)

State of Residence: Maryland

Attend a Maryland University

Ethnicity: Asian

Major : Biology, History Minor

Expected GPA: 3.45, Science: 3.23, BCP: 3.19 (No real upward trend >.>, 3 Cs in science courses, one was Biochem, had D in a class because I got seriously injured, retook it over summer but only got a B >.>)

DAT: 22AA, no section under 19

Shadowing hours (expected): Around 130, 90 with 1 General Dentist (who is writing my letter)

Personal Statement: Haven't started writing yet, but hopefully it can be strong. Always liked writing so gonna do my best

Letters of Rec: Great Dentist one, Great History Professor one, 2 OK science professor ones (4 total)

Volunteer Hours: Havent finished tallying but easily around 300-400, might be more. (If sunday school counts, then like 600 minimum lol but Im assuming it doesn't)

Schools: Maryland, Howard, Temple, Pitt, Lecom, ASDOH, MW Arizona, Louisville, Nova, Case

Not really applying to anything up north because I'm not trynna put myself in that much debt >.> Really banking on Maryland or Howard chance.

If I don't have a chance, what would you recommend I do? Im graduating next fall so if I were to reapply, i was planning on taking a heavy science courseload in fall and just pulling my BCP gpa up to a 3.3 (did the calc, it works out) and overall to a 3.5+. Also perhaps retaking Biochem.
Also was looking at dental assisting as an option.

However, I heard reapplicants aren't look at well? I thought it'd show persistence and stuff, but I guess not? Idk, what do you guys think. OR, do you recommend maybe applying only to a few local schools, and if I dont get in, reapply next year again more broadly. (Again, not really worried about the $ of applications, just the stigma of reapps. I know dentistry is what I want to do, but I dont want to put myself in insane debt to do it, if thats possible)

Thanks so much guys, I know its a long read >.>

Do more real volunteering and shadowing. Direct volunteering and not indirect volunteering. By "real" I mean serving special needs, homeless, dental clinics, etc. Don't listen to anyone who says to retake the DAT. Plenty of people get in with 18 and higher. Your GPA is fine.

Yes, lots of people apply more than one cycle. There's a thread on here about someone applying 6 cycles to get in. Mathematically, all applicants are almost competitive to each other so even the best will sometimes not get anything just because it's sometimes like a lottery system. And if you need to reapply, keep in touch with the admissions staff. They NEED to know you've applied already in the past. This actually gives you an advantage over someone who never has because they see your dedication and commitment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't listen to anyone who says to retake the DAT. Plenty of people get in with 18 and higher. Your GPA is fine.

Not trying to pick a fight but this isn't necessarily true. OP's DAT is fine as its a 22 with nothing under 19. As an Asian/Indian though an 18, 19, and sometimes even 20 doesn't cut it. I've met a good number of asians who were told by schools that to be competitive you have to have or beat a 21 because so many asians do. His GPA is at best OK. Nothing much to be done about that now. I do agree that he should apply but it's not as though this gpa is the most confidence inspiring.

I say this as someone with far less than stellar stats

Not trying to pick a fight but this isn't necessarily true. OP's DAT is fine as its a 22 with nothing under 19. As an Asian/Indian though an 18, 19, and sometimes even 20 doesn't cut it. I've met a good number of asians who were told by schools that to be competitive you have to have or beat a 21 because so many asians do. His GPA is at best OK. Nothing much to be done about that now. I do agree that he should apply but it's not as though this gpa is the most confidence inspiring.

Isn't that illegal?

This isn't a job interview this if for a school, they don't have to play by the same rules, especially if the school is private.

I'm pretty sure most private schools receive some sort of federal funding. Um, federal loans? Research grants? That makes them tied to the State...and they have to follow their rules. I highly doubt there's any private dental school out there that's completely privatized to that degree. That being said, this is a clear violation of anybody's Constitutional rights. That school clearly said "you need a better score, not to be competitive compared to other applicants, but competitive over other Asians." Come on now, really?

I was asked if I was a Democrat or Republican in an interview. I guess they can ask whatever, even though the legality of it may be a little blurry.

This is different though. They never openly discriminated you for that. Now, if they said something like, "apply again and be a democrat next time," then yeah, that's a clear problem.

So from what I've seen, everyone's advising to go ahead and apply and if I dont get accepted this cycle anywhere to just keep in touch with adcoms and show I'm interested in reapplying?

So from what I've seen, everyone's advising to go ahead and apply and if I dont get accepted this cycle anywhere to just keep in touch with adcoms and show I'm interested in reapplying?
Pretty much.

What schools were those? I applied to more than a dozen schools and not one said that. I know plenty this cycle who got into NYU and other schools with 18/19. Sure, the trend is increasing, but at the rate these people on SDN are going, you're basically saying in 5 years the average will be a 26. When will it approach 30? Matriculation average is still 19 although by next cycle it'll be 20. Ivy Leagues currently boast 22. Remember to account average with standard deviation, etc. Some get in with way lower. Some have way higher.

My understanding is that schools categorize into white, African American, Hispanic. White includes Asians, middle eastern, etc. I didn't know they further classified them. Maybe you're right.

the ones who got into NYU with a 18/19 are the ones who didn't get into any other less expensive school and have to suck up the opportunity to be a dentist (likewise USC). Im sure other people who get in NYU have higher stats but these 18/19 usually talk about their admission the most because hey, 18/19 DAT makes dentists.

it is widely known, at least to me and my friends, that schools accepts students based on quota in order to maintain demographic diversity. For example, School X can only take X number of Asians, Y number of Caucasian/European, Z number of Hispanics/African Americans, and H number of other people. However, since so many many asians and caucasian apply to professional school, the asians compete with other asians to become the X number. Hence, since much few Hispanics/African Americans apply, the competition is less intense for one to compete with another to be the Z number (this is sometimes assumed to be affirmative action (can be true or not)).

so yes, if other asians in the pool have 19 20 and many others have 21 then you, being an Asian, should have a 21 to be competitive. if a lot of Asians have 3.4 and 3.5 with many having 3.6, then yes, you, being an Asian, should have 3.6 or above to be competitive.
Don't rely too much on the schools' average stats because it does not break down stats based on demographics.

OP's GPA is on the low side according to his racial demographic.

Reactions: 1 users
I know how you feel in a way. Your DAT seems fine but maybe your grades could use a little boost. This doesn't count you out completely; nothing says that you're a particularly bad applicant. Apply to a lot of schools and maybe some of the ones with lower stats. Don't give up and do the best you can to improve your app from now to then. My grades won't be very good either and I definitely do not have demographics on my side. But YOLO as I have always said lolll