Don't know if this is the right place to ask...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

undergroundcelloswan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, I apologize to the moderators or anyone who could be possibly offended if I introduced a thread that doesn't belong here... I'm a newbie to this (kind of a silent watcher on this forum), and I'm not really sure where to post my question.

Alright, so I'm planning to take the MCAT in either October or November 2009. If anyone is wondering, I have a GPA of 3.8 at my local community college and will have my associates of science by the end of the summer. My choice of med school is Johns Hopkins (my mom went there for her reproductive endocrinology fellowship and I just love that school). I'm just wondering how does the application process work? The application deadline for JH is 10/15/2009, and considering when I'm planning to take the MCAT, I will miss the application deadline. I don't want to wait two years to get into medical school. Is there such a thing as a backdoor entrance? Is there a wait-list sort of system, for instance if someone's dropped their spot, another person in the list of prospectives could take their place? I want to know if there's a chance that I could still try to get into medical school even if I miss the deadline.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It looks like you do not meet the requirements for medical school. First, you must take all of the pre-reqs required. Next, you have to get a 4-year college degree. Finally, you will need some extra-curricular activities. In other words, you still have quite a ways to go. There's no point in taking the MCAT without finishing your pre-reqs and being close to obtaining your BA or BS.

It looks like you do not meet the requirements for medical school. First, you must take all of the pre-reqs required. Next, you have to get a 4-year college degree. Finally, you will need some extra-curricular activities. In other words, you still have quite a ways to go. There's no point in taking the MCAT without finishing your pre-reqs and being close to obtaining your BA or BS.

Actually I have taken all the prerequisites: Human A&P, Organic Chemistry, Physics, Chemistry, Biology... whatever classes required I have taken them. I am also in the midst of transferring to another university to complete my bachelors, I'm just trying to see if I CAN apply granted I have taken my MCAT.

I don't want to burst your bubble but your stats don't look very good for Johns Hopkins...that is best researching medical school in the country. My friend got in last year with 42 MCAT, 3.98 GPA at Berkeley. His stats are pretty much what Johns Hopkins is looking for. You need to have a BA or BS to apply. My friend took a lot of her prereqs at a community college and is having a hard time breaking getting a 28.

Like the previous person mentioned, you need a lot more things before you can apply. Just b/c you mom did her fellowship there doesn't mean they are going to have open doors for you.

Also if you mom is a doctor, shouldn't she have told you that you need to be more competitive?

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed with SN2ed. Also the last date to take an MCAT this cycle (and year) is September 12th. Medical school takes a lot of work to get into. With that said, a four year degree is required and ECs like SN2ed mentioned. Next, you shouldn't set your sights on only Johns Hopkins, it is very difficult to get into ANY medical school let alone a top 5 school like Johns Hopkins.

Hope this helps,

-LIS

I don't want to burst your bubble but your stats don't look very good for Johns Hopkins...that is best researching medical school in the country. My friend got in last year with 42 MCAT, 3.98 GPA at Berkeley. His stats are pretty much what Johns Hopkins is looking for. You need to have a BA or BS to apply. My friend took a lot of her prereqs at a community college and is having a hard time breaking getting a 28.

Like the previous person mentioned, you need a lot more things before you can apply. Just b/c you mom did her fellowship there doesn't mean they are going to have open doors for you.

Also if you mom is a doctor, shouldn't she have told you that you need to be more competitive?

Okay, first of all, I never said I expected Johns Hopkins to take me into their arms just because my mom's an alumni. I do not understand how that is being misunderstood. And the comment of being more competitive? I have been working part-time at a medical office since I was 15 and full-time since I was 18. I'm 23 right now. My job consists of doing the same tasks as a medical assistant and I perform managerial duties as well. I do not mean to be snide by mentioning all this, please excuse me, I just want to clarify since I should have mentioned this in my post earlier.

I do appreciate the advice, really, but I have been preparing for the MCAT since June and I am prepared to take it.

Alwaysbehopeful, thanks for the advice though. I'm right now taking summer classes and I hope my GPA will rise... crossing my fingers.

I was just kind of hoping... oh well...

Okay, first of all, I never said I expected Johns Hopkins to take me into their arms just because my mom's an alumni. I do not understand how that is being misunderstood. And the comment of being more competitive? I have been working part-time at a medical office since I was 15 and full-time since I was 18. I'm 23 right now. My job consists of doing the same tasks as a medical assistant and I perform managerial duties as well. I do not mean to be snide by mentioning all this, please excuse me, I just want to clarify since I should have mentioned this in my post earlier.

I do appreciate the advice, really, but I have been preparing for the MCAT since June and I am prepared to take it.

Alwaysbehopeful, thanks for the advice though. I'm right now taking summer classes and I hope my GPA will rise... crossing my fingers.

If you feel you are prepared, go for it. Since you took all your science classes at a cc, you might want to take some higher level classes at a 4 year institution to show adcoms that your gpa is legit and you know your stuff. You will need at least a bachelors for most schools.

I don't want you to feel discouraged however I just wanted to let you know that according to the MSAR: 75% of people who got in had volunteering work, 75% of people who got in had medically related work, and 75% of people had research. This differs from school to school but overall a large majority of people have volunteered in a hospital, worked as a MA or EMT, and had some research or publications under their belt. Working as a MA is good but its not that special. A lot of people do that for medical school. It seems that your portfolio needs some diversification. For example, try to volunteer at a big hospital where you can get some more clinical advice. I head several programs and one of them we get to perform EKGs in the ED. The busiest shift I would get to observe 2-3 level 2 traumas, perform 8-10 EKGs, and transport 5-10 patients to radiology. This is a lot more active than perhaps a clinic. I have also done clinic work and found it to be mostly front office and slow pace.

If you want to get into Johns Hopkins you need some research for sure. it is a huge research schools so they won't be happy to see no research. I suggest to be different! Instead of looking for a job think of your own research to do and see if you can get some funding. It isn't impossible! It doesn't have to involved a lab, it could be social science or psychology or whatever.

You seem like you want to pursue medicine and that is great but to be more competitive you need to have more experiences. On the applications, you can fill up to 15 different activities and such. They also let you categorize the activies under work/volunteer/research/leadership/ teaching ,etc.... Start compiling a list now and see where your weaknesses are...You have work-medically related under your belt, great start. Now see if you lack leadership? Do you lack research? Do you need to have more involvement in volunteering? Etc.

Most of the people you are up against are going to have some fabulous letters, great experiences, multiple positions, leadership, research, and the list goes on. Go to the Johns Hopkins thread and see what people's profiles are like. That will give you a sense of what you need to improve upon.

Like a previous person said, don't be too picky. Johns Hopkins is ridiculous hard to get into, all medical schools are hard to get into. You should be so lucky to get into one! When I was a freshman I wanted to go to Johns hopkins or UCSF. Then reality hit and I realized that getting into any medical school is a big challenge.

Anyways, I hope your aren't discouraged. I'm just trying to give you some tips so that you will be more competitive for the school of your choice!:xf:

Exparrot, it's clear that you're excited about a medical career. Don't lose sight of that.

In my opinion, your best move right now would be to buy or borrow a copy of a book that will give you an overview of the medical school admissions process. Medical School Admissions Requirements, which gives stats and official info on all the schools, and Med School Confidential, which gives an overview of the whole process, would be good choices. You should also meet with someone at your school who can advise you. If your school has a pre-med office or career services office, that would be ideal. One thing you will learn is that most people apply to many medical schools because they are so very competitive. It's great to have a clear first choice, but it's important to be flexible.

Finally, don't lose hope or patience. It looks like you may not end up at medical school as soon as you thought. But don't worry -- not everyone starts med school at age 22. I for one am currently applying and am in my late twenties. I have spent the last 2.5 years doing a post-bacc, volunteering, shadowing, and now working in research. At first, the idea of spending so much time and energy just to become a competitive applicant was overwhelming, but then I realized that I could think of these experiences as part of the arc of my medical training.

BTW, if you still plan to apply this year, the last MCAT for this application cycle is 9/12/09. However, you really should check up on whether there are any schools that don't require a degree from a 4-year college before you spend the time and money to apply.

Good luck!

Thanks Alwaysbehopeful and IAmMyOwnTwin, I dunno, sometimes I feel like there's some kind of biological medical school clock ticking. Everything has a time and a place, but checking out schools and working on what I look like on paper is something that I realize is important.