Quantcast

Don't know what to choose for gap year

Travel to Ghana on the Ultimate Med Immersion
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suhdude

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I graduated from college this past May. My stats are 3.65 cumulative 3.5 science (strong 4.0 upward trend 2 years). MCATS: 503 last year and 502 this year - I know very very bad. I am going to retake it next April.

1) I have been accepted to a prestigious Masters institution for a MS degree in bio related field. So...I would get a masters degree.

2) DIY post bacc at good school near my house. I want to take Biochemistry and maybe 2-3 other courses in the entire year (for med school admissions as well), while doing volunteering, research, and getting clinical experience.

Which would be the path to take, knowing that I will be intensely studying for MCAT as well?

Last edited:

FMDoge2020

Stay safe folks
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just saw a thread about dropping DO acceptance and apply MD/DO with the same stats....

Master degrees do not help with medical school admission, according to many adcoms on here(unless a SMP).

According to the advice I have seen on sdn, it is probably better to just study for the MCAT and apply DO and a few MD school with lower MCAT requirement.

Sent from my SM-N920P using SDN mobile

TMC07

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Take the money you would spend on options one and two and invest in a Kaplan course, the Kaplan practice exams, and all of the official AAMC MCAT materials.
You don't need to do a post bacc. You need a much high MCAT score for MD schools.

Reactions: 1 user

confidentandgood

Bunburyin' it.
Reaction score
With that upward trend, what you need most is a strong MCAT score, not a GPA boost.

Reactions: 1 user

MareNostrummm

D.O. Class of 2022
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I graduated from college this past May. My stats are 3.65 cumulative 3.5 science (strong 4.0 upward trend 2 years). MCATS: 503 last year and 502 this year - I know very very bad. I am going to retake it next April.

1) I have been accepted to a prestigious Masters institution for a MS degree in bio related field. So...I would get a masters degree.

2) DIY post bacc at good school near my house. I want to take Biochemistry and maybe 2-3 other courses in the entire year (for med school admissions as well), while doing volunteering, research, and getting clinical experience.

Which would be the path to take, knowing that I will be intensely studying for MCAT as well?

Biochemistry is the only class seriously worth taking since a decent amount of medical schools actually have it as a requirement now and more are adding it from the recommended list. Besides that I would take maybe anatomy, physiology, or microbiology. A lot of schools have slightly different requirements for upper division coursework. Make sure you are taking classes that you really need, because otherwise your GPA is fine at this point.