Don't know what to do . Dental School Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dan95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So Im about to graduate with an accounting degree (BA) but originally in my college career i was pre dental. Here are some of the science math courses that i took:

Bio 1: NC (took it as a first semester freshman i had failed it and got Freshman Forgiveness which lead to me getting an NC
Bio 2: W First time
F Second time
Chem 1 : B
A in lab
Chem 2: B+
B- in lab
Psych Stats: B-
Calculus 1: C (Taken my first semester as a freshman)
English 1: B+
English 2: A-
Psych 101: B+
Psych 214 (adolescent) : B-
Psych 215: (developmental) : A+

I never took Organic Chem physics biochem cell bio micro bio or anatomy

Let's say i delay my graduation and i retake all these courses mentioned above (even the ones i got a B- an the english courses). Can i still get into NYU dental, Stony brook dental? I regret majoring in accounting. Or should i do a post bacc? I honestly don't know what to do

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Didn’t you post the same thing yesterday?

Members don't see this ad :)
So Im about to graduate with an accounting degree (BA) but originally in my college career i was pre dental. Here are some of the science math courses that i took:

Bio 1: NC (took it as a first semester freshman i had failed it and got Freshman Forgiveness which lead to me getting an NC
Bio 2: W First time
F Second time
Chem 1 : B
A in lab
Chem 2: B+
B- in lab
Psych Stats: B-
Calculus 1: C
English 1: B+
English 2: A-
Psych 101: B+
Psych 214 (adolescent) : B-
Psych 215: (developmental) : A+

I never took Organic Chem physics biochem cell bio micro bio or anatomy

Let's say i delay my graduation and i retake all these courses mentioned above (even the ones i got a B- an the english courses). Can i still get into NYU dental, Stony brook dental? I regret majoring in accounting. Or should i do a post bacc? I honestly don't know what to do

Take courses like OChem I and II with labs, physics I and II, anatomy, physiology, biochem, microbio, cell bio. No need to retake any of the courses you mentioned if you do well in these upper level sciences. Make sure to maintain a high GPA here on out( 3.7+) and get 20+ on DAT. If you can do this, post bac shouldn’t be necessary. Apply broadly though.

Take courses like OChem I and II with labs, physics I and II, anatomy, physiology, biochem, microbio, cell bio. No need to retake any of the courses you mentioned if you do well in these upper level sciences. Make sure to maintain a high GPA here on out( 3.7+) and get 20+ on DAT. If you can do this, post bac shouldn’t be necessary. Apply broadly though.
Yea but to show dental schools like NYU should i still retake to show them i can do good in these sciences

Yea but to show dental schools like NYU should i still retake to show them i can do good in these sciences

If you do well in upper level sciences and get a high TS on your DAT, you don't need to retake any of those courses. They’re not D’s and F’s. I was in a similar position but I took a bunch of higher level science classes and did great in them. The only glaring weakness you have is a F in Bio after a W. NYU also has a higher DAT avg around 21 so focus on that. Hope this helps and good luck!

If you do well in upper level sciences and get a high TS on your DAT, you don't need to retake any of those courses. They’re not D’s and F’s. I was in a similar position but I took a bunch of higher level science classes and did great in them. The only glaring weakness you have is a F in Bio after a W. NYU also has a higher DAT avg around 21 so focus on that. Hope this helps and good luck!
The Psych courses I should've gotten an A in. I'll be honest i had a tough circumstance at the time which is why i did bad that semester.

The Psych courses I should've gotten an A in. I'll be honest i had a tough circumstance at the time which is why i did bad that semester.

As long as you bounce back, everything will be alright! You’ll have to retake Bio 1 and Bio 2 because those are pre-reqs. But remain focused and you’ll get that acceptance letter!