Dont Know What to do now................

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scutmonkey

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i havent got my CSA results yet, and i was hoping some IM prog in NY wouldnt fill up, but they all have. so have most of the general surgery progs.I dont hink any positions will be available after the scramble is done. This is depressing.....cant even get a job, either overqualified or underqualified. Noone is even giving a research position. Can't even get a job at Burger King.......

Members don't see this ad.

There are over 50 Categorical spots in Surgery and hundreds of Prelim spots out of state. Granted most of the Categorical spots would have filled yesterday presumably but have you TRIED?

I cannot remember your career goals but you might consider taking a residency position out of state and then seeing if you can transfer sometime down the line (given approval of your PD). Time is running short man - you need to start considering other options (and Burger King ain't one of them!)

Best of luck.

Can't you pick up a rotating internship for a year to buy some time? I know it's an extra year but there are worse options, right? Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
No time to lick your wounds just yet. There'll be plenty of time to do that later. Start with the FREIDA and hit all [that's ALL] prelim/transitional places even if not listed as available, in all the areas closest to your state and then fan out. Remember, too, that the Scramble comes in two waves: first one being now, and the second in late May, early June, even in July when folks do not honor their contracts and don't show. You MUST hit this very aggressively now, and be prepared to travel with your information packet to programs directly. Their phone and fax lines may be disconnected by now. Also check out psychiatry which usually is wide open and then consider switching next year. But first you MUST get into the system any way you can. That's your focus now. Revise your personal statements according to the specialty and get crackin'.

Remember: It ain't over till it's over. Good luck!

Nu

I would find a good prelim surgery spot to do if you want to do surgery. If you do a great job, many programs will offer you a job. If not, a not unsubtancial # of 2nd year spots will open up thru attrition. Don't give up, if you want a job in gen. surgery there will be one for you if you put your time in

good luck