dont know what to do?? Please help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Have you done your research? Some of the schools don't take OOS of state applicants and some only take very strong OOS applicants. You do not have any shot in AZ, KS, SC or UT. All of these are not at all friendly to OOS applicants.

Add UMass, U of Washington and North Dakota and you'll have all the state schools you have no hope at.

Last edited:
I would mark down that you are retaking the MCAT. What I would really do is hold off an extra year if you can.

Schools will not look at you if you have indicated you are taking another MCAT. They will wait until the scores have come in. I am not sure what will happen if you don't indicate you are taking another test exactly. I am sure that it probably would not turn out well for you. Just a hunch. I'm sure you're not the first person to think of that.

And those schools you are applying will not accept you. OOS applicants need to be really good applicants and must have strong connections to those states. Consider schools in your own state for any "safety schools."

If I were you, say you are retaking it in August. It is late in the cycle, but if you do really well, then your stats may be good enough to get you in somewhere.

If you can, consider applying next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am pretty sure that both LSU-S and LSU-NO won't even look at OOS applications unless you are applying MD/PhD or if one of your parents went to school there. Just wanted to give you a heads up. :)

I know this is a little old, but we haven't heard back from MD786 and I wanted to help them out a little if possible.
First off, there's really no such thing as a safety school in medical school admissions, regardless of what some people on here like to tell you. I have known applicants with high 30s MCATs and 4.0 GPAs (from reputable undergrads, with research) that were declined by multiple allopathic schools for poor interviews, so do keep in mind what this process is like and that the whole package needs to be appealing to a med school. They want you to be a good long-term representation of their program.
Now for the less fun part. There's nearly zero chance of getting an interview at Arkansas with the score where it currently is, and LSU doesn't look at OOS applicants (or they didn't when I applied) without a parent/alumni connection of some sort. I also believe AZ is an almost exclusively in-state school aside from a few OOSers that must have had amazing stats.
I would definitely wait until I had my August scores (I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that they went up!) in hand before applying to these programs, or you're going to be wasting a lot of time unnecessarily.