Don't know what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc Abby

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm so upset because I worked so hard to do well on my bio test. I studied the same way I have for all my pre-med classes and have always managed to get A's. This test was a killer. Even though I attended all the lectures, wrote notes in the margins of the lecture notes and on regular notebook paper, read the six chapters twice, took notes on that, and had my boyfriend quiz me for two days before the test, I still only managed a 70%. I knew the material. I could explain it to him even so it isn't like I memorized. I knew it. But the test was so conceptual that I messed it up really badly. I was able to eliminate most answers, but when it came to choosing between two, I apparently chose the wrong one several times. I'm so discouraged because this isn't just a bad grade, it's that I don't know how to fix it so that it doesn't happen again. We have another test in 2 weeks and I'm so worried that I'll get another 70% or worse.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm so upset because I worked so hard to do well on my bio test. I studied the same way I have for all my pre-med classes and have always managed to get A's. This test was a killer. Even though I attended all the lectures, wrote notes in the margins of the lecture notes and on regular notebook paper, read the six chapters twice, took notes on that, and had my boyfriend quiz me for two days before the test, I still only managed a 70%. I knew the material. I could explain it to him even so it isn't like I memorized. I knew it. But the test was so conceptual that I messed it up really badly. I was able to eliminate most answers, but when it came to choosing between two, I apparently chose the wrong one several times. I'm so discouraged because this isn't just a bad grade, it's that I don't know how to fix it so that it doesn't happen again. We have another test in 2 weeks and I'm so worried that I'll get another 70% or worse.

Dude chill out its just one test...besides you need to look at what you got compared to the average of the class no based on the strict scale...it will probably be curved

Relax, it's not the end of the world! Now you know what the exams are going to be like, so you can better prepare yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is probably the kind of thing where you will get more sympathy if you complained to your classmates rather than strangers over the internet.

Also keep in mind that we all have tests that we do poorly on. All of us. Suck it up. Find out what you did wrong. Study a different way for the next test.

But that's just it. I don't know that I can better prepare because I feel like I really understood the material this time. It was very conceptual but on even the ones that I knew what the answer was before I read the answers, I saw that they were so similar that I couldn't distinguish between that. I couldn't figure out the right answer from two very similar ones.

I wouldn't be worried about this test if I knew it's just the first one and I can still earn a good grade in the class, but I don't know that because I don't know what I did wrong. I just don't know how to fix this problem in only two weeks so I can do better on the next one.

Hey, Doc Abby!

I just took a hard bio test as well and, like you, I was disappointed in my performance. I wonder if we go to the same school because mine was very conceptual and I have another one in exactly two weeks. LOL

Anyway, what I plan to do is use my teacher's office hours to ask if she has any suggestions for how I can better prepare for the next one. Like you, I read the book, printed out her power points, and took notes on her lectures. We were also given online pre-tests. You could take as many as you wanted. I took a total of four and got one 95% and three 100%'s, so I was a little surprised that I ended up with a much lower score on the test itself. I guess I should have taken more, but I figured with three 100's in a row, that I was ready.

The only thing I can tell you is to talk to your teacher and try to keep in mind the type of questions you encountered this time when you study for the next one. That's what I plan to do. Let's hope it works out for both of us!

But that's just it. I don't know that I can better prepare because I feel like I really understood the material this time. It was very conceptual but on even the ones that I knew what the answer was before I read the answers, I saw that they were so similar that I couldn't distinguish between that. I couldn't figure out the right answer from two very similar ones.

I wouldn't be worried about this test if I knew it's just the first one and I can still earn a good grade in the class, but I don't know that because I don't know what I did wrong. I just don't know how to fix this problem in only two weeks so I can do better on the next one.

Try using a supplemental source or asking your professor for suggestions as to better prepare yourself. It's not about knowing the concepts as it is knowing what your teacher expects you to know.
-Dr. P.

So you didn't do as well as you'd hoped. Don't let that get you down. Whatever you did to study for this exam may have worked for other classes, but something about the approach you took for this exam wasn't "enough." Take what others have said so far. Stay positive. Go to office hours. Use a different studying approach. If possible, get a hold of past exams and see what your professor looks for as far as content. I can relate to your situation. I remember studying a week before an Ochem exam and still got a 19/100. :scared: Keep your head up! You'll do fine!!! :luck: