Don't know what to do!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iskky

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I really need some advice. I'm currently a freshman doing pre med. I have a horrible cummulative GPA (about 2.8) and my science GPA is even worst. I was working full time during the school year to pay for tuition and I had a lot of trouble managing my time. I know I should've done better regardless. I have no intention of giving up pre med because that's the only thing I really want to pursue. I've improved my grades from first semester, but not by much. Right now I'm thinking about transferring to UIC because of financial reasons. I'm just worried that med schools wouldn't like to see that I left Loyola with such a bad GPA. So I'm wondering if this would be the case? And also would I be ruining my chances of getting in anywhere because of the transfer (on top of the low freshman GPA)? Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Transferring will not hurt your chances at all. Go to UIC, and get your grades up. You might be asked about the move in an interview, but it sounds like you have excellent reasons.

I think that transferring for economic reasons alone is valid. Protecting your GPA is the most important thing for you to do as a pre-med, and working fewer hours will allow you to concentrate on your studies more. I agree with MilkmanAl that transferring to UIC will not effect your chances at an admission, provided you have a steep upward trend from that time forward and fix the low GPA.

But can you get into UIC with a GPA that low?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the quick responses! That's a relief to know the transfer won't affect my chances. I checked and UIC's minimum GPA requirement is 2.5, so I can make it in (barely). I also had another question, is it bad if i retake Chem 101 at UIC instead of Loyola? I got a C-, which is a passing grade, but i know med schools want C and above. Loyola won't authorize a retake of this class because i got a passing grade.

It's no problem at all retaking Chem I at UIC where it will also be sufficiently difficult so as to prepare you well to take the MCAT. Try to get an A in it to balance out the poor first grade, as both will be included in your application GPA by AMCAS, the MD med school application service.

Alright thanks for all your help!