Don't know what to do!!! = (

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

perkypup6260

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I have wanted to become an Emergency Physician for quite some time now and am pre-med... but I have always struggled with my classes... mostly because I didn't really know if this was truly what I wanted to do with my life... and now that I became a phlebotomist and worked in the ER at our city hospital... I LOVED IT!!!!!! I KNOW THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO DO NOW!!!!... but I just recently visited my pre-med advisor and he told me that because of my current GPA (2.91) and science GPA (2.44) I would most likely not get into any medical schools:bang:.... I want to raise my GPA really bad, I am serious now and more determined than ever to get into med school now that I know its what I want... so how on earth should I raise my GPA... I am a junior so I only have a year left... not much time to work with but I am willing to stay an extra year or shoould I graduate with my BA and go back as a non admitted student to take more science classes and raise it... WHAT SHOULD I DOOOOO!!!! I AM DESPERATE!!!!! PLEASE HELP ME FIGURE THIS OUT!!!! Any suggestions and advice would be GREATLY appreciated... thanks...:(

Members don't see this ad.

With a year of straight As, your GPA could be at 3.18. With two, it could go to 3.34. With a 34+ MCAT score you might get an allopathic acceptance. With an MCAT of 27+, you might get into an osteopathic (DO) med school, some of which consider GPAs that are lower with very high MCATs, unusual circumstances, or an SMP (Special Masters Program).

An SMP is a way of overriding a low GPA via a paid (expensive) audition to med school. Most want to see an MCAT of 30+. See the Postbaccalaureate programs Forum for information.

Another way to raise your GPA is to apply through AACOMAS to DO (osteopathic) schools only, as they only count the most recent of retaken classes. You could repeat any D, F class, or C in a prerequisite and raise your GPA quickly this way. AMCAS (MD) averages in all retakes and does not have a replacement policy.

but I have always struggled with my classes... mostly because I didn't really know if this was truly what I wanted to do with my life...

That's not really an excuse to not try your best....I know I'm not going to major in English or Math, but I still performed as well as I could in those classes....

That being said, you need something extra to boost you over the hump and make up for your GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
First and foremost: do not panic, and do not get into a self-defeating mindset of "I can't do this...". If you want to do it, you can; just believe in yourself and your abilities!

I was in a similar (albeit not as low GPA) position a year and a half ago. I wasn't really motivated, didn't really know what I was working towards in the first place, and was ready to give up on pre-med. I had to take a step-back and reboot my thinking. I asked myself a series of questions, in this order: 1) "is this what I want to do?" (volunteering/shadowing can help re-inspire you) 2) "why?" (helping people? money? both? neither?) and 3) "what do I have to do to make it happen?" (pull up grades, study more, etc...?).

I realized my "lack of motivation" was more of an excuse for my general academic laziness - I knew I could do the classes, and do them well, but didn't want to give them the time I needed to actually earn good grades. I would have rather gone out and partied, or watched TV than open the textbook to pre-read for the next day's class - an unsustainable way to go about learning. I changed my mindset, hunkered down, and went from being a ~B student to being a straight A-/A student for my final year. I used the same mindset to study for the MCAT and did decently well.

You ultimately need to rethink your motivation and studying habits. How much time do you really spend studying for your classes? Do you pre-read and post read? Are the study strategies you are using effective, or are they not leading to the results you want? What do other successful studiers in your class do differently? If you feel you are doing as much as you can, and it still isn't working, you should talk to your professors and get their advice on what they would really recommend doing to earn a good grade in their class (each class may be different, and your profs may be able to give you some good supplementary materials, etc...)

If this is what you really want to do, re-focus. Don't let anyone tell you that it can't be done. And focus on one thing at a time. Rather than saying "I need to get straight A's from now until I graduate so I can go to med school and blah blah blah..." use the mentality of "I need to give this particular class everything I've got". Lock-down on school; it should be your primary focus for the next year. And see how things shape up; if you can have a very strong upward trend in your GPA and rock the MCAT, you would definitely be in decent shape for many excellent SMP programs out there, and if you perform well in those would have a great opportunity to prove your dedication and capability to medicine. Alternately, you could re-take the courses you did worst in, and pursue a route through D.O. schools, another excellent choice to enter medicine.

Either way, remember, STAY POSITIVE AND BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!! :)