Don't Know What to Do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychpei

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having the worst time deciding on what degree to go for. I really want to get a PsyD degree but there is so little funding. I just can't take out the huge loans that is neccessary for this type of program.

My 2nd choice is a PhD in clinical psychology. I just don't see how I am going to be able to get in anywhere. I do have a pretty good GPA (3.7) but my problem is that I have no research experience unless you count an experimental class (which I don't think counts). I did try to get onto a research team at my school this summer but they did not have any spots open, so I will try again this Fall. I only have 2 more semesters until I graduate with a BA and I know 2 years research experience is preferred to get into a PhD program. Then there is the matter of taking and getting good scores on my GRE. I have no doubt I will do well on the writing and verbal portion, the math portion is what I am worried about. I have been studying for my GRE, which is exactly one month from today, since mid Spring.

I am so frustrated that I have begun looking into other types of programs such as LPC. I have also considered applying to MA programs in psychology and working my way up once I have proven myself worthy.

I just don't know what to do and could use some sound advice. Should I apply to a bunch of PhD programs and hope for the best or should I get my MA first or look into other therapy/counseling programs? :eek:

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

With absolutely no research experience (that experimental class isn't going to cut it), you have no chance at a PhD program. I suspect your chances are also limited at PsyD programs (not sure if you have any clinically relevant experience as you didn't mention any?) unless you end up at one of those questionable programs that simply want to take your money in the end.

Your next step is really going to depend on your goals. Do you need a PhD or will a terminal master's suffice? It doesn't sound that a master's program is really a "stepping stone" for you as you already have the grades. You simply NEED the research. There is no way around that bit. Without it, you're not going anywhere.

You may be looking at delaying a year or two to put some research experience under your belt before applying for PhD programs at a later time (in which case you could potentially delay taking your GREs)--or you could opt to enter into a master's program. Again, this is going to depend upon your goals in life and what you want out of it.

To add a bit to what paramour mentioned re: gaining research experience, the two most common options people seem to take are to apply to a slew of paid and volunteer RA positions (at local universities, teaching/research hospitals, etc.), or to enter an experimental psych master's program. Generally people seem to opt for the RA route initially (unless, as paramour mentioned, your GPA is low), as this saves you from having to take out tuition loans.

The only harm in applying to Ph.D. programs this time around would really be the associated application fees, which can start to add up pretty quickly. If your research and clinical interests aren't yet very refined, though, you might be better off deferring for a year while you get everything settled and in order.

Thanks for your input! I realized too late the importance of research experience. I really wished I would have looked into PhD program requirements several years ago rather than now. If I would have known this, I would have the research experience neccessary to apply.

I think the best option for me is to first of all see my advisor. I really need some guidance. Doing all of this on my own is driving me crazy! I will probably end up taking a year off to gain research experience and most likely retake the GRE.

I just need to take some time to get everything straigtened out.

Thank you.