Don't know whether to Self-Report conduct history or not? (Institutional Action question)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThatCheater123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am going into my senior year at a large state school. During my Junior year I was caught receiving "unauthorized assistance" on an exam in one of my classes, and as a result my grade was dropped from a B to a C in the class. Besides the C on my transcript, there is no IA or asterisk anywhere on my official transcript (as I ordered it from the school). I was placed on conduct probation for 6 months, and had to complete a short online academic integrity workshop. After that I was placed back into good standing.

I called my undergraduate institution and they told me they don't release my conduct file to any schools without my permission. My school does not have a pre-med committee, so there is no committee letter that could possibly list my violation.

My main question is, does this count as an IA and do I have to mention it on the AMCAS application? Even though schools will probably not find out about it, is it something I should mention? I called my undergraduate institution and they declined to mention whether or not it counted as an IA, so I honestly have no idea. I understand the implication of reporting an IA, which is why I am hesitant to report it if I don't have to.

I called a medical school in my state and they mentioned that having this violation on my record (If I owned up to it) would not necessarily keep me out of their medical school. Thanks to anyone who helps me out in my predicament.

Members don't see this ad.

My main question is, does this count as an IA and do I have to mention it on the AMCAS application? Even though schools will probably not find out about it, is it something I should mention? I called my undergraduate institution and they declined to mention whether or not it counted as an IA, so I honestly have no idea. I understand the implication of reporting an IA, which is why I am hesitant to report it if I don't have to.

They won't tell you whether it's an IA or not? You should probably call (or visit) back and make sure. I think it's best to be honest about it. It would make you look worse if you don't say anything and they find out about it on their own. It sounds like it's an IA though, because of the probation and the workshop. Best of luck.

I understand your predicament, but your school did take "action" for something that you did. You were placed on probation, lowered grade from C to B, and forced to take a workshop. So technically it is definitely an IA.