Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Don't know which service to do

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by BlueElmo, Jan 5, 2009.

1. BlueElmo

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    hi guys,

I'm thinking of either volunteering at a hospital ER or working in a free clinic. But free clinic offers dental services to patients only and I would be helping out with that. I only have time to do one, and which one do you think I should do? I don't know if volunteering at a dental clinic would count much in adcoms' eyes. Thanks.

2. funkymunkytoes

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you don't have much clinical exposure, do the hospital ER gig. Second, I have volunteered for three years running for the Mission of Mercy program, which provides free dental care to those who need it. Adcomms don't seem to mind it. So long as you have adequate clinical exposure, extra volunteering--no matter in what field--is always a big plus.

3. Dr Lyss

Dr Lyss Professional Student
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    like funky said, depends on your situation. If you already have some clinical exposure under your belt go for the free clinic. It will be something unique that you can talk about & not many other premed have done.