Don't like science, still applying to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shildebrecht

Ragnar
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't like science but having shadowed many physicians I really like what ceretain doctors do everyday for a living (surgeons, radiologists). Does anyone relate? Comments?

Members don't see this ad.

Ummm yeah....have you taken the MCAT yet? You might want to look into that.

shildebrecht said:
I don't like science but having shadowed many physicians I really like what ceretain doctors do everyday for a living (surgeons, radiologists). Does anyone relate? Comments?

The first 2 years are sure gonna be rough. Its all basic sciences. Day in and day out you will breathe, think and literally dream basic sciences.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I took the MCAT, in August 2004,- 35 (10, 13, 12)

you might definitely not like studying for the science section of the mcat; but i think part of being a physician is having a curiosity for science and keeping up with new research to hopefully better serve your patients.

but as someone said "attitude not aptitude determines altitude!"

good luck. :luck:

shildebrecht said:

Medical school is definitely at least half science. And the MCAT is 2/3 science (the writing sample doesn't count much). Maybe you should look into Australian medical schools, I've heard they focus a lot more on clinical care. Of course, how can you be a good doctor if you don't know the way the body works?

Still, I can kind of see your point. I'm a science major and after four years of science, your brain feels like it's on overload (or at least my brain does), especially if it's O-chem. But I think you have to at least tolerate science and be able to do well in it if you want to go to medical school.

shildebrecht said:
Yeah I took the MCAT, in August 2004,- 35 (10, 13, 12)
something's fishy... if u don't like science who cares, u got ur MCAT

shildebrecht said:

I guess it matters just how much you don't like it. From your mcat, it seems that you can do it even though it's not your thing. What do you mean when you say you like what surgeons, radiologists "do" everyday? Work with people? Those specialties can be a little repetitive, but I can understand looking for a little bit of that in your career. I think those not looking for too much repetitiveness tend to go into research. I say go for it if you think you would love it.

I wouldn't apply to med school if I didn't like science. Would you go into teaching if you liked what elementary ed teachers did every day for a living but you didn't like kids?

Maybe he can be one of those doctors that don't integrate science into his/her care of patients.

I can kind of relate to what the OP means. My main draw to medicine is the patient interaction and clinical side of it. I wouldn't go so far as saying that I don't like science, 'cause it does interest me and I find it interesting, but its also not my favorite cup of tea.

MWillie said:
Maybe he can be one of those doctors that don't integrate science into his/her care of patients.
Uh, that would be nearly all of them. Although there is a scientific basis to some medical treatments, what doctors spend their time on is pretty far from science in most cases. If the OP feels he/she has a good sense of the daily life of a physician and would enjoy it, then I don't see what the problem is.

i hate science too but i'm in med school now and i like it fine. just make sure you balance your coursework with non-science things, e.g. reading fiction, writing, whatever. 1st year coursework especially can be boring regardless of whether you like science or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
jrdnbenjamin said:
Although there is a scientific basis to some medical treatments
No way!

MWillie said:

what a jerk :thumbdown:

oh so you attend medical school with an intense two year study of sciences as they pertain to medicine and then don't utilize that knowledge because "what doctors spend their time on is pretty far from science in most cases." I'm attracted to medicine mainly because of the people interaction part of it too, but I've always had an interest in science, which also attracts me to the profession.

mr_bertman said:
i hate science too but i'm in med school now and i like it fine. just make sure you balance your coursework with non-science things, e.g. reading fiction, writing, whatever. 1st year coursework especially can be boring regardless of whether you like science or not.

yeah, from what I hear, it's all memorization, so the ppl who don't care about science probably have an advantage :)

I can't believe you all are claiming to love science. One of the major reasons I'm becoming a doctor is because I know research is not for me. Not because I don't like repetitive boring tasks (I'm sure as a physician I'll have plenty of that to do!) but because I don't give a damn about what I'm researching about.

To the OP: I can totally relate. I enjoy learning science in the same vague way I enjoy learning anything, but it's never been a favorite subject. I'm not worried that it'll make me a worse doctor.

Scarletbegonias said:
oh so you attend medical school with an intense two year study of sciences as they pertain to medicine and then don't utilize that knowledge because "what doctors spend their time on is pretty far from science in most cases." I'm attracted to medicine mainly because of the people interaction part of it too, but I've always had an interest in science, which also attracts me to the profession.

when did the OP say he wasn't going to utilize the knowledge he gained from science? Why does "liking" the subject have anything to do with how well you learn/use it?!

swifteagle43 said:
STOP POSTING! THIS GUY IS A TROLL!!!

hmm, i kinda wondered about that too. A poster claiming not to like science on SDN!!! GASP :eek:

umm, what's a troll??
even if the OP is a "troll", i can understand his point... that's one of the great things about medicine.. it encompases so many different fields--philosophy, anthropology, sociology, business, policy, and of course the natural sciences. there are many reasons to dig medicine... just find your niche.

Medicine = Science. Its all about applying both scientific information and scientific processes to individuals.

I would have a pretty hard time imagining someone who doesnt like science really loving medicine. But then again, the science and the idea of the the bridge between the science and other people was what drew me to medicine.

funshine said:
hmm, i kinda wondered about that too. A poster claiming not to like science on SDN!!! GASP :eek:

I don't like science particularly...

What I mean by that is I would reather be studying many other things than science (I'm a film school student). I can do science (I did fine on my MCAT). However I'm drawn to medicine for the incredible impact physicians have in people's lives and I believe that I can master the science necessary so that I am an effective clinician.

But, would I even consider doing an MD/PhD or being extensively involved in non-clinical research? No Way.

logos said:
Medicine = Science. Its all about applying both scientific information and scientific processes to individuals.
No, if anything the relationship is more like that between science and engineering. The goal of medicine is not to generate knowledge, and the goal of science is not to treat patients. Also, "applying the scientific process to individuals," i.e. experimenting on people to see what happens, will get you thrown in jail in this country, or at least sued for malpractice.

Many people apply scientific knowledge in their work and yet are not scientists. For example, you don't have to love physics to be a pilot, although it may help a little.

Let me clarify. I like science insofar as it helps explain or allows me to do something meaningful in life.
I was wondering if anyone else out there did not like studying the enzymes of the Krebs cycle, BORING. But it sounds like other people can relate.

As a corollary, I do not want to work with kids, hyperchondriacs, or any bodily excretion (except blood, blood is fine). I am not being inflammatory, I just see so many insincere bleeding heart premeds that I wanted to get that off my chest. I like bones and the brain and the muscles. There is a specialty for everyone in medicine.

don't worry about what these naive premeds have to say. there is very little true science involved in the study of medicine. the practice of medicine uses scientific principles, but encompasses so much more.

ps. you'll have to get used to bodily fluids, as there is a lot more besides blood.

logos said:

I would have a pretty hard time imagining someone who doesnt like science really loving medicine. But then again, the science and the idea of the the bridge between the science and other people was what drew me to medicine.

medicine doesn't equal science. if anything, you were more correct by saying that medicine is a bridge between science and people, but even then it's not like we can just use terms like "medicine" and "science" as if they were well-defined concepts. if, when you think of science, you think of the citric acid cycle and memorizing the names of all the muscles in the leg, then i don't think there's any real harm in disliking science, as long as you're able to keep looking ahead towards the big picture of your actual medical practice, when knowing those things probably won't matter anymore. but, if you dislike scientific process in medicine, e.g. forming and investigating hypotheses in clinical settings, appreciating the benefits of a new medical intervention, etc, then you run the risk of letting your distaste for clinical science affect the treatment of your patients.

the bottom line is that, aside from a fundamental understanding of certain scientific principles, the majority of factors that ultimately will decide how much you enjoy medicine will have little to do with the nature of the work you're doing. you're much more likely to be dissatisfied (or satisfied) with your income, your hours, administrative duties, or any of a dozen other practical things than with the amount of "science" you deal with in your doctor-ly work. like someone else in this thread already mentioned, there are so many specialities and subspecialities, and by the time you're done your training you'll have already picked something reasonably compatible (i hope) with your affection for science.

There is so much more to medicine than science. From a humanitarian perspective, from a religious perspective, from a civics perspective, from an economics and policy perspective. Lots of interesting stuff out there beyond the science. And good for you, OP. Be honest with yourself.

I remember the day I gave up on the biology major and the sciences in general. I was just getting sick to the stomach. A gooney professor had just told some feable joke, and all these science people around me just cracked up.

Part of it was that half of these people were just laughing because they were suck-ups. And that, I've learned, is a big part of why I hated the sciences, I think. All these kids pretending to be enamored with enzyme pathways, with rat pups. But when it came time to fight for an A, the love of the subject matter just disappeared. No discussions on the intricacies or new developments at hand. Nope, just complaints about how terrible life was as a science major. So I left. It didn't help matters that my humanities professors almost universally cared more about their students, would go out to a cafe and just talk with their students.

Recently, I've gotten into science, though. I've started working out a lot more, learning how my body works, understanding how supplements affect (or for the most part, don't affect) the body. Learning about the vitality of rest and nutrition. That kind of stuff is cool and practical. So I'll go seeking out abstracts on my free time when it comes to that kind of stuff.

Otherwise, I'd rather be studying Gothic churches or reading a 19th-century novel. Far more interesting than liver diseases.

Strictly speaking, the TCA cycle, glycolysis, etc are not science. They're just information. Science is a way of thinking.

logos said:
Strictly speaking, the TCA cycle, glycolysis, etc are not science. They're just information. Science is a way of thinking.
STOP F**KING POSTING! THIS KID IS A TROLL

swifteagle43 said:
STOP F**KING POSTING! THIS KID IS A TROLL

Umm, yeah... mr. pot, meet mr. kettle. Your own trollocity level far surpasses anything posted in this thread.