Don't mean to beat a dead horse, but...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

No Imagination

I
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression the US government banned the transport of horses for slaughter to other countries (like Mexico and Canada), but after a debate with someone, i could find no evidence of this. Sorry, can anyone clarify?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought they only banned the slaughter here. I'll learn more next week....there's a debate on the topic happening here.

I thought they only banned the slaughter here. I'll learn more next week....there's a debate on the topic happening here.

I was under this impression as well. I know a few states (Mass?) are currently in the process of drafting legislature that would ban the sale and shipment of any horse for slaughter. I'm not sure if there are any bills being drafted at the federal level.

And since we are already beating the dead horse, I'm going to take it one step farther: If there is a vote to ban transport to slaughter, I hope it fails. A bill like that will never succeed until someone comes up with something to do with all the unwanted first, and if it passes now, I believe it will only cause more problems and more hardship for the horses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm... good to know. I actually think I made this same mistake once before (and on these forums) - Not sure why I keep thinking they banned the transport of horses for slaughter into Mexico and Canada.

Thanks for the clarification (again)

Just this semester in my horse production & management class, we were given stats that 75,000 horses that originated in the U.S. were slaughtered in Canada and Mexico, and that flow to both those countries has increased. It is perfectly legal as far as I understand. We also talked about the MA law that was mentioned by cowgirla.

Those stats were current (according to the prof) as of Aug '10, but I haven't tried to verify them myself. She's pretty up on these things =P

I'm pretty sure that horse slaughter was never banned in the states. I think the last 2 horse slaughterhouses went out of business/were shut down.

I'm pretty sure that horse slaughter was never banned in the states. I think the last 2 horse slaughterhouses went out of business/were shut down.

Yeah, technically that is correct. They simply removed all funding for USDA inspections at slaughter houses for horses, thereby making it illegal to move the meat from such slaughter houses across state lines, thereby, essentially running them out of business.

After doing some (more) research, I must admit, my opinion on horse slaughter changed.

We've spent so much time in our food animal class learning what drugs cannot be given to food animals (and many of these drugs are OK and commonly used for equine), I am kind of surprised we ever allowed the meat to be consumed (by anyone, in country or out) - unless of course the horse was bred specifically for slaughter and proper records were kept.

We've spent so much time in our food animal class learning what drugs cannot be given to food animals (and many of these drugs are OK and commonly used for equine), I am kind of surprised we ever allowed the meat to be consumed (by anyone, in country or out) - unless of course the horse was bred specifically for slaughter and proper records were kept.

I completely agree... regardless of all the other arguments for/against horse salughter, this is the one that I've never heard a good counterargument for.

The only counterargument I know of is that even with drugs, often the risk with the meat from animals here is less than the local supplies in some countries.

not saying it is a good argument, but I've seen animals slaughtered the same day they were given Abx injections in some countries.

I thought Illinois was an outright ban?

I admit, I'm not an equine person, so I'm on the periphery of this one.

Yeah, technically that is correct. They simply removed all funding for USDA inspections at slaughter houses for horses, thereby making it illegal to move the meat from such slaughter houses across state lines, thereby, essentially running them out of business.

This is correct. There were 3 plants in the US, two in Texas and one in IL. In order for meat to be sold for human consumption, it needs to be federally inspected, which was funded by federal dollars. Since about 90% of profit from the plants was for human consumption, they could no longer make money. The other 10% went to zoos, where horse meat is a common meat fed. Makes sense when you think about lions eating zebras: equus zebra vs. equus caballas.

In 2006 before the slaughter plants closed, there were ~138,000 American horses slaughtered. ~100,000 in the US, ~12,000 in Mexica, ~25,000 Canada. As of 2007, there was a 312% increase in American horses exported to Mexicao, and 41% to Canada.

I don't necessarily agree with how the horses are handled at these plants, but you cant close the plants and expect 100,000 horses to just disappear. They are in the process of trying to ban the transport of horses for slaughter across foreign borders. But there has been an increase in exportation of horses for "athletic" purposes across the Mexican border. We are not going to stop horse slaughter... people will find a way to get them one way or another. I saw a horrifying video of people in FL that are actually slaughter horses out in their fields or stalls at night. Horse meat goes for about $40/lb on the blackmarket.

Cite for mexico and canada %'s.
.http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/jan08/080115a.asp.

I don't necessarily agree with how the horses are handled at these plants, but you cant close the plants and expect 100,000 horses to just disappear. They are in the process of trying to ban the transport of horses for slaughter across foreign borders. But there has been an increase in exportation of horses for "athletic" purposes across the Mexican border. We are not going to stop horse slaughter... people will find a way to get them one way or another. I saw a horrifying video of people in FL that are actually slaughter horses out in their fields or stalls at night. Horse meat goes for about $40/lb on the blackmarket.
This is frighteningly true. A good friend of mine is from the Miami area and has come back nearly every break with a story of people finding horse heads and intestines in the stall, the body stolen for sale as meat.

A few stories from South FL:
http://www.netposse.com/Florida_horse_theft_slaughter.html
http://netposse.com/Floridahorseslaughter.html
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-10-05-horse-meat_N.htm

Dr. Tom Lenz delivered an absolutely fantastic keynote speech at the 2010 AAEP Convention in Baltimore on the issue of the unwanted horse. He made some FANTASTIC points and I wish the speech was posted on youtube because I want to send it to anyone who has anything to do with horses!!

Also, as of Jan 1st, 2010, horses slaughtered for human consumption in Canada must be accompanied by a record of every drug they've been given for the 6 months prior to slaughter. It's the responsibility of the veterinarian to ensure this is up to date. How many equine veterinarians that treat a horse think that it will likely go for slaughter in 6 months? Food for thought...

Certainly interesting... In Canada, are horses considered food animals? Are there the same limitations on what medications you can give to a horse as exists in traditional food animals (Cows, Pigs, ect.)

Any why only 6 months? Perhaps Canada has stricter rules for food animal medication, but the we have a few with 18 month withdrawal times.

PS: Would LOVE the video if it is ever made available!

Also, you said it is up to the vet... even if the vet has that information, how is the vet supposed to necessarily KNOW that the horse is being slaughtered? What if a client uses one vet for normal stuff, and gets there NSAIDS from another vet? Never the twain shall meet.

Also, you said it is up to the vet... even if the vet has that information, how is the vet supposed to necessarily KNOW that the horse is being slaughtered? What if a client uses one vet for normal stuff, and gets there NSAIDS from another vet? Never the twain shall meet.

That is true in any food animal, though, except in areas where there really is only one vet serving the population.

Yeah, i guess I didnt really word it right, but you are correct.

Also, i guess what the poster means, that IF you WANT to slaughter your horse, you need to have 6 mn of vet records which show that the horse hasnt had certain drugs in the last 6 months, which would make sense!

Horse meat goes for about $40/lb on the blackmarket.

In what black market where?

Just seems odd it would be that pricey when you can walk into a canadian supermarket and pickup horse meat for $7 a pound.