Dont mention interest in IR during interview season?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RadioRads71

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The program director at my home institution told me that I should not mention that I have an interest in IR during my interviews. He told me that like 75% of students say this during their interview and its looked down upon.

Has anyone else received feedback like this??

Members don't see this ad.

I vaguely recall reading/hearing this from like one source ever. Supposedly, there are a subgroup of students interested in surgery and its subspecialties who apply Rads as a backup (for the IR pathway); it could be assumed that students who are just interested in IR may be a part of a subgroup like this and not care for radiology in general.

I doubt it's really that big of a deal but maybe you could just not bring it up unless they ask just in case.

It probably won't hurt you unless you make it clear you have no interest in diagnostic radiology at all. Then it will hurt you.

Most interviewers will internally roll their eyes at a superenthused applicant only interested in IR... 'cause many of these same applicants will be applying to MSK fellowships in three years' time. It's not a deal breaker since many of these IR onlyandallthetime applicants will end up being great diagnostic rads.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just be honest. Who cares what other people think? (I say this because PD's ultimately don't care - mine makes it a game and writes down what you want to do on day 1 so she can compare when you graduate) If you want to do IR right now, say, "Right now I want to do IR." It's not that difficult.

Also be honest with yourself. You know nothing of what DR is like, so don't act like you'll never switch your mind, because you might miss out on something that you really love.

Reactions: 1 user
Just be honest. Who cares what other people think? (I say this because PD's ultimately don't care - mine makes it a game and writes down what you want to do on day 1 so she can compare when you graduate) If you want to do IR right now, say, "Right now I want to do IR." It's not that difficult.

Also be honest with yourself. You know nothing of what DR is like, so don't act like you'll never switch your mind, because you might miss out on something that you really love.

I know, its so early on I haven't made my mind up about anything other than I want to do some type of radiology. I want to learn everything about DR and IR and then make up my mind from there.

Just have a good reason for wanting to do what you say you want to do. And be able to express the understanding that you may change your mind...

80% of med school applicants (made-up number, but honestly not that far from the truth) either want to be neurosurgeons, cardiac surgeons or pediatric oncologists. I'm pretty sure you know how that turned out by now...

75% of radiology residency applicants are "interested in IR" (again, a made-up number, but probably not far from truth). Minds will change. PDs know that. It's ok to have an interest going into residency. It's not ok to be disinterested in everything else. Capisce?

Don't be the applicant talking up their interest in IR and talking up the program coordinator/PD/some IR attending and then know next to nothing about SIR/SIRs free student membership/ the plans of this transition in detail. Can make for an awkward silence among applicants during interview tour time, trust me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't be the applicant talking up their interest in IR and talking up the program coordinator/PD/some IR attending and then know next to nothing about SIR/SIRs free student membership/ the plans of this transition in detail. Can make for an awkward silence among applicants during interview tour time, trust me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And, if you know more than the PD about this process, don't argue with them about it. This happened to me at MUSC. She was way off base with what she said about the transition (specifically speaking to me in front of all the other applicants), and I just said, "Okay. I guess I'll deal with it when I get there. There's a lot more to Radiology than IR." Boom.