Don't particularly enjoy biology as major. Is Movement Science okay to switch to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sconnybarry132

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a junior pre-med student who is majoring in Biology. I am contemplating switching to Movement science because i LOVED my anatomy class. I am so much more interested in the way the human body works and would rather focus on this for the rest of my time in undergrad rather than looking at microscopic bacteria for another 2 years. I should also add that i want to become an orthopedic physician, or sports medicine physician, because I have been an athlete my whole life and I would really enjoy treating athletic-related injuring.
However, with this switch i am afraid i will have to do another year in order to fill my required classes for the Movement Science major... will this look bad for medical school admissions? Also, my science-GPA is by no means stellar (3.09), so will switching to a "health science" major hurt me since i will not be able to take as many science classes to boost this (I have only about 6 more science/math classes left i can take). All of my pre-reqs for med school are basically done besides O-chem II (which i am taking this semester), Microbio, and Bio chem. My overall gpa is also not stellar (3.28), but i believe that taking classes i am generally more interested in will allow me to get better grades and really boost it over the next two years.

I have worked throughout college since freshman year, but I just started working as a CNA (<50 hours). I have been volunteering at Big Brothers Big Sisters for a little over a year and I also applied to volunteer at the local hospital near my campus, so i would start that as soon as possible. I am involved in some clubs but not heavily (pre-med, biology, club-baseball, ski/snowboard club). I would really rather not do research, however if you guys believe it would GREATLY improve my chances of getting in somewhere than I would plan on finding something for this summer.

I know i wrote a lot here but my questions are:

1. Is switching to Movement Science a good option for me, even if it means staying for another semester?
2. Would doing research greatly improve my chances of getting in or should i look for a different form of EC?

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

You can do literally whatever you want as long as you've taken:

both parts of Gen Bio
both parts of Gen Chem
Both parts of Organic Chem
both parts of Physics (can be either algebra based or calculus based)
2 English classes
(for some schools) a math class
(for some schools) biochemistry

your major really doesn't matter, at all as long as you have the prereqs, the gpa, the MCAT, recommendation letters, and some ECs. Take eaiser classes to bring up your gpa if you have all the prereqs already.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the response! Although I'm also wondering if it will look bad if I have to stay an extra semester or two, and possibly retake a class?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
You can do literally whatever you want as long as you've taken:

both parts of Gen Bio
both parts of Gen Chem
Both parts of Organic Chem
both parts of Physics (can be either algebra based or calculus based)
2 English classes
(for some schools) a math class
(for some schools) biochemistry

your major really doesn't matter, at all as long as you have the prereqs, the gpa, the MCAT, recommendation letters, and some ECs. Take eaiser classes to bring up your gpa if you have all the prereqs already.

Thanks for the response! Although I'm also wondering if it will look bad if I have to stay an extra semester or two, and possibly retake a class?

It won't look bad. I had a completely unrelated major, lived several years with an office job, quit and took 2 years to do all med prereqs, did mcat, applied, and now i'm accepted.

As long as you can explain your story and are confident about what you had to do to get to where you want to be....you can do whatever is necessary to succeed.

Reactions: 1 user
Major in anything you desire. Work on getting your GPAs up above 3.3 or so and rock your MCAT. You can have great research experiences and other ECs but without a competitive GPA/MCAT, you most likely won't get many interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
switch to the major you're passionate about, kick butt the rest of undergrad and get that GPA as high as possible, do well on your MCAT, and go into the cycle with confidence.

your sGPA is on the lower side and would concern me the most, but you could either retake or do really well on your MCAT.. or both. I think you're worrying about the wrong things: schools don't care about your major or if you take an extra semester/year to graduate. what they do care about are your GPA, MCAT, ability to make good decisions, extracurriculars, maturity, and conviction in this field. especially for osteopathic programs, which tend to be friendly towards non traditional students, your timeline matters very little.

Reactions: 1 users
switch to the major you're passionate about, kick butt the rest of undergrad and get that GPA as high as possible, do well on your MCAT, and go into the cycle with confidence.

your sGPA is on the lower side and would concern me the most, but you could either retake or do really well on your MCAT.. or both. I think you're worrying about the wrong things: schools don't care about your major or if you take an extra semester/year to graduate. what they do care about are your GPA, MCAT, ability to make good decisions, extracurriculars, maturity, and conviction in this field. especially for osteopathic programs, which tend to be friendly towards non traditional students, your timeline matters very little.

^^ This

I think my biggest advice to anyone who is 100% sure on medical school or any professional graduate program like Pharm D, PA, Medicine, Law, Podiatry, Optometry, etc... would be to major in something you are extremely passionate about. If I could go back and do undergrad over again, I would have majored in two foreign languages and done my pre-med reqs, and study abroad for at least 2 semesters. That's my advise to my younger siblings at least :)

Reactions: 2 users