Don't Qualify for FAP because of Parents but Need Financial Assistance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_NSC_27

Reaction score
I am taking the time during the quarantine to work on my applications and look more into the actual process of applying this cycle (I am taking two gap years and am finishing my first now). As I'm looking into applying, I was trying to apply for the AAMC's Fee Assitance Program (FAP). I am financially independent from my parents and we are not financially connected nor in a position where I could ask for their help; because of their inclusion on the application, I do not qualify. Does anyone know of another program I could apply to? I work at a nonprofit now so my income is significantly below the 300% FPL requirement, and a part of me taking time was to save up some money for when I start school. Thanks for your help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I am taking the time during the quarantine to work on my applications and look more into the actual process of applying this cycle (I am taking two gap years and am finishing my first now). As I'm looking into applying, I was trying to apply for the AAMC's Fee Assitance Program (FAP). I am financially independent from my parents and we are not financially connected nor in a position where I could ask for their help; because of their inclusion on the application, I do not qualify. Does anyone know of another program I could apply to? I work at a nonprofit now so my income is significantly below the 300% FPL requirement, and a part of me taking time was to save up some money for when I start school. Thanks for your help in advance!

Unfortunately, this is how it works. Because all student's are essentially broke, it is the parent's income that matters when determining FAP eligibility and need-based aid. Many students are in this position, and will need to take out additional loans in medical school for tuition+fees+cost of living.

Reactions: 1 user
If it is safe for you to take a job doing deliveries or something during the quarantine, you might consider that option. The application and interview for admission is an expensive process and the financial breaks are limited to those who come from families with no ability to help (e.g. applicant's single mom makes minimum wage in retail sales).

Members don't see this ad :)
Got it, that's what I figured but wasn't sure. Since I am a year out of school now and am no longer a student and have filed taxes independently at this point I wasn't sure if that changed the situation at all. Was hoping to be able to avoid taking on more debt than necessary especially at the point prior to acceptance. I appreciate the help! UberEats here I come!

Reactions: 1 user
Got it, that's what I figured but wasn't sure. Since I am a year out of school now and am no longer a student and have filed taxes independently at this point I wasn't sure if that changed the situation at all. Was hoping to be able to avoid taking on more debt than necessary especially at the point prior to acceptance. I appreciate the help! UberEats here I come!

Just for some perspective many medical students are 1,2,3 years out of school, filling taxes. One of my classmates is in his 30s, but parental income still counts. AAMC has some great resources on financial preparedness and loan calculators that you can take a look at that may be helpful!

Reactions: 1 users