Don't surgeons get tired of doing the same procedures over and over and over?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MStewart

Pre-Med
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Doesn't it kill the soul? I've been doing some OR shadowing and I'm starting to see the "glorified plumber" angle.

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't it kill the soul? I've been doing some OR shadowing and I'm starting to see the "glorified plumber" angle.
to me thats when it will become fun, i hope

i feel like im spending soo much time as a resident learning how to do operationsa and care for patients that i feel like there is no time for the art of medicine, caring for the family and the pt as a whole

once youve done 500 choles, im thinking it just becomes second nature
(buts thats when you have to be careful!)

What about the internists who treat CHF, asthma and DM the same way on every patient? What about the pediatrician who sees ~200 RSV cases in the ED any given season? The obstetrician who delivers a baby? I guess my point is there is repetition to every specialty. Despite how much it may seem to you that every appy or chole is the same, there are subtle differences that keep you intellectually in the game. Then, at the end of the procedure, you know you have "cured" the patient of that specific disease or illness, something not found in the treatment of CHF, asthma or DM...

Members don't see this ad :)

Its a little more fun actually doing the operation than watching one.

Yes, some days you feel like you'd rather be doing anything but your 500th Lap Chole but this is true for any job. Show me a career which doesn't have repetition and drudgery.

Its a little more fun actually doing the operation than watching one.

Yes, some days you feel like you'd rather be doing anything but your 500th Lap Chole but this is true for any job. Show me a career which doesn't have repetition and drudgery.

This is a valid point I agree. Unless you are something exceptional like a CEO or the president, you're going to have repetition. I think repetition is a fact in medicine and other mechanical professions where practice makes perfect.

This is a valid point I agree. Unless you are something exceptional like a CEO or the president, you're going to have repetition. I think repetition is a fact in medicine and other mechanical professions where practice makes perfect.

I would venture that even those jobs have their fair share of repetition and drudgery. Unless you've been in business meetings, you have no idea how much of the stuff discussed has been talked about at length in prior meetings.

I'd rather spend the rest of my life doing lap choles than sitting in meetings discussing the same old crap over and over.

watching someone else do something can be painful. Actually doing it yourself is VERY different. Don't be fooled into thinking what they are doing is easy. People that are skilled at something make it look easy.

I would venture that even those jobs have their fair share of repetition and drudgery. Unless you've been in business meetings, you have no idea how much of the stuff discussed has been talked about at length in prior meetings.

I'd rather spend the rest of my life doing lap choles than sitting in meetings discussing the same old crap over and over.

Fair points. I just think in surgery the problem and the solutions are virtually the same for every procedure. A CEO, for example, would face new problems (shifts in the industry, new competition) and would have to come up with new solutions (product development, hr work). Theres quite a bit more analysis, creativity, and risk involved.

Fair points. I just think in surgery the problem and the solutions are virtually the same for every procedure. A CEO, for example, would face new problems (shifts in the industry, new competition) and would have to come up with new solutions (product development, hr work). Theres quite a bit more analysis, creativity, and risk involved.

But that is where you would be wrong.

For example, I practice what many consider to be a very limited surgical scope. But every patient is different and there are many issues which need to be considered before recommending surgical procedure A over B, etc.

Every patient I see gets an individualized analysis and I'd venture, there is more risk to me than most medical practitioners (or captains of industry).

Yes, but that "repitition" is often peppered with nuances with each patient that make it interesting enough.

Every job has its reptitiveness. Even your "exceptional" CEO and President of whatever fictitious company will have to endure repitition on an occasional basis. With shifts in market come the same reports. With shifts in supply chains come the same reports. Sitting in the same chair with the same people around the same mahogany table, and you'll likely go nuts.

So, please, before you tell us what it's like to be a surgeon, try holding the knife in your hand and saving a life with it and then tell me how you really feel. I think it's a far superior feeling to do that than to make another million or two. (OK, maybe a billion or two would cut it?)

So, please, before you tell us what it's like to be a surgeon, try holding the knife in your hand and saving a life with it and then tell me how you really feel. I think it's a far superior feeling to do that than to make another million or two. (OK, maybe a billion or two would cut it?)

Don't get defensive man. At the end of the day, companies create jobs, products, reduce state intervention, and are the back bone of the modern economy. On the flipside, everyone hopes to keep the surgeon away.

It depends on the personality I suppose. Bill Gates could never be Harvey Cushing. Cushing could never be Gates.

I will go ahead and say what others are thinking.

Stay away from surgery and go into business.

It seems to be what you are touting and you can make a heck of a lot more money with much less hassle than declining reimbursment, ungrateful patients and the constant threat of being sued.

Although you would never get the pleasure of knowing how it feels to cure someone or take away their pain.

Choices are tough.

Members don't see this ad :)
... I think it's a far superior feeling to do that than to make another million or two. (OK, maybe a billion or two would cut it?)

Another million or two wouldn't do it for you? I don't know, I think i've perfected the "no really, i'm completely paying attention" look I pull out for lectures and rounds and I think if I could swing a million or two sitting down and not actually using my brain... that's a tempting thought.

Plus, if you went the route of Patrick Bateman from American psycho, you'd still get to cut :D

Don't get defensive man.

Sorry. Didn't mean to come off sounding defensive.

It depends on the personality I suppose. Bill Gates could never be Harvey Cushing. Cushing could never be Gates.

It probably does depend a lot on personality. I look at it this way.

Gates is a college dropout who happened to be pretty bright. He built a software company and through a variety of kosher and not-so-kosher practices. He's a businessman purely at heart who found a great "get-rich-quick-scheme" that Americans love and respect much more than hard work.

Cushing is the father of modern neurosurgery. He's the father of a lot of things in medicine and surgery. He's practically a god amongst surgeons. To us he's a role model, someone to whom we (sort of) aspire. The average American has never heard of Cushing because he doesn't have the flashing lights and spinning tassels of a guy like Gates. "What? If Cushing was so important, why wasn't he filthy rich?"

Americans, unfortunately, equate success with money. And they love celebrity and get-rich-quick individuals even more. I don't see it that way. We may piss and moan about money, but that's just the realities of modern day medical practice. Few of us would trade what we do for a few extra bucks, I think, or else we'd all be pretty damn successful on Wall Street.

Don't get defensive man.

Get over yourself. You come on here and basically tell us our jobs are boring and we should be CEO's running a company. Show a little respect.

Do us all a favor and stick with the MBA. We'll stick to the real work.

Fair points. I just think in surgery the problem and the solutions are virtually the same for every procedure.

I think I thought so too, when I was an MS-1.

As an MS-3, with a (marginally) better understanding of how surgeons approach operations, I have a much better appreciation for how unique each case is. Two people with the same problem may have totally different symptoms, and require two totally different approaches. I don't think I would have understood that until I went through the first two years of med school.

In any case, I think that each surgeon tries to improve on his last procedure. Maybe you could do the next lap chole a little faster, or a little more smoothly.

I also think that an element of repetition HAS to come into play in surgery. As the chairman at my school sometimes says, "Each stitch should not be an adventure" - in other words, you should know what to expect, and not have a lot of surprises in the OR. That can really only come with preparation and a lot of practice.

We get it, we get it: Your **** is huge.

No need to keep waving it around all the time. ;)

roflmao.gif

i also think you may be forgetting something in this post. Bill Gates is an unusual case where he was the big man from an early age in his field. Most people who are CEO's dont pop out of the womb as CEOs. Many of them had to deal with the repetitive drudgery of lower positions for a while before the opportunity came about to lead a company. Many of them also had to play a lot of political games to get to the top, which to me is miserable. Although it's true that a good deal of CEO's are in a good position by the age that one becomes a surgical attending, it's a good bet that many of them also have years to go before they are advanced to CEO status.

Also, even the most limited of general surgeons will be trained in gallbladder, superficial soft tissue, bowel, hernia, breast, thyroid, colon, appendix and wound care operations. This offers some degree of variety if you prefer the buffet over the entree. there is always fellowship if you like vascular, hepato-biliary, cancer surgery, peds surg, gastric bypass, CT, critical care, trauma etc etc........

Just wait until a radiologist is able to do your procedure less invasively or some new guy in your town is willing to do it for 25% less. Economics could care less how big your ego is.

I agree with the point that there are tradeoffs to every profession and surgery by nature requires repetition to master it. There is no "superior profession" and certainly no one is (or should be) above the market. Its all about personality. Like I said there is no way in hell bill gates or michael dell or whoever would have the patience to work in an OR for most of the day. Some people like systematic procedures better.

Just wait until a radiologist is able to do your procedure less invasively or some new guy in your town is willing to do it for 25% less. Economics could care less how big your ego is.

What you may not understand about economics and reimbursement is that General Surgeons don't make more. Radiologists make MORE than surgeons for doing the exact same procedures.

I should know...I do this everyday and see that the reimbursement for image guided biopsies and procedures is higher for the radiologists. Insurance companies are starting to realize this and prefer that their patients see surgeons for the procedures because, for the time being, they can pay us less for the very same thing. They also decreased reimbursement to the radiologists as well but its still higher than for surgeons.

If the "new guy in town" wants to contract with insurance companies and medicare to take 25% less, then so be it...but he will be unable to sustain a practice. General surgery is not plastics or "boutique" surgery...most patients have insurance and insurance covers their surgery. Most insurance companies offer a standard reimbursement which varies little between companies because its based on Medicare rates.

Those of us who work smarter are able to negotiate higher rates, so if the new guy in town wants to negotiate lower rates for his practice, he can have them. But he will soon find that he is unable to sustain his practice unless reimbursement for general surgery changes.

This is not about ego but rather a recognition of how the system works .

I agree with the point that there are tradeoffs to every profession and surgery by nature requires repetition to master it. There is no "superior profession" and certainly no one is (or should be) above the market. Its all about personality. Like I said there is no way in hell bill gates or michael dell or whoever would have the patience to work in an OR for most of the day. Some people like systematic procedures better.

Honestly, why are you posting here? I don't see that you're open to learning about surgery, rather you seem to be ranting about how boring surgery and monotonous surgery is, and at the same time surprised that actual surgeons don't take too kindly to your disparaging remarks.

You say:

I've been doing some OR shadowing and I'm starting to see the "glorified plumber" angle.

Nice start to the thread. I can already see you're open to learning and discussion since you came to a SURGERY forum with those remarks.

I think repetition is a fact in medicine and other mechanical professions where practice makes perfect.

Again, you're simply stating conclusions you yourself have made despite remarks to the alternative from actual surgeons. I just don't get it. Now tell me, why not simply take their word for it, since they do it for a living while you apparently sit in a classroom hoping one day to get a good grade from these people.

I just think in surgery the problem and the solutions are virtually the same for every procedure.

Awesome that you've obtained this point of view as a pre-med. Despite the alternative point of view given here by actual practicing surgeons, you, as an apparent pre-med, presume to judge the whole field and simply it by saying essentially "it's plumbing and all problems are the same". Again, why are you here?

A CEO, for example, would face new problems (shifts in the industry, new competition) and would have to come up with new solutions (product development, hr work). Theres quite a bit more analysis, creativity, and risk involved.

You've never been a surgeon, or a CEO presumably, and yet you think you stand in a position of judgment. Nice.

Don't get defensive man.

Why not? Seriously, read what you're typing.

The point is, the radiologist has chosen a field where they don't stand in the OR for hours a day or deal with pre and post op management of the patient. They've chosen a profession where that's not part of the job, invariably because they didn't want to do the work of a surgeon. And vice-versa, the surgeon doesn't want to sit in a dark room reading studies.

Less invasive surgery is a reality, but the surgeons are doing the less invasive procedures the same as they did before. There will always be a need for the general surgeon.

Ego? You should've checked yours before you posted here. As a pre-med you've held strong to a pretty closed-minded position on surgery despite postings to the alternative by actual surgeons. Amazingly, you seem surprised that people haven't taken kindly to your remarks. My experience has been that judgment in the face of inexperience and closed-mindedness have gone right along with those who have ego problems themselves.

Best of luck in your pursuit of medicine.

Hiiii...

Am a medical student in India and am right now in Dallas for a small leave.. I want to do shadow program for the time am here... I wanna do under surgery and am totally lost as to how to search about it.. N if you could just give a li'l idea about the procedures that wud'v been great..
waiting for a reply....

Just wait until a radiologist is able to do your procedure less invasively or some new guy in your town is willing to do it for 25% less.

From what shoddy internet source did you pull this garbage data out of your butt?

Perhaps neither being a surgeon nor a CEO of a major multinational is in your future. Sounds to me like you'd be an excellent politician.

I can't offer significant input to the surgery part, but my uncle is a CEO of a fortune 500 company. The job does get repetitious. The shifts in the industry are not by any means instantaneous and it isn't like he can walk in and go "I'm going to do it THIS way today". He has endless mountains of paperwork, bickering about development sites, and lots of meetings where they pretty much show a bunch of charts and tell you what you already know. Is it challenging? Heck yea, and as his 10 bedroom mansion overseeing his favorite skiing area testifies, it is also lucrative but every job has repetition every day in some form. You couldn't pay me all the money in the world to do the consulting I was offered to do (they offered me A LOT), that is just seen as drudgery to me and I can think of a lot more places I rather be than in an office or hotel room having clients not listen to me and dealing with idiots 1000 miles away who can't follow a project plan. If you've ever written project proposals, they get really really redundant really really fast too. After a while it essentially is a large form where you sub in your client's name and specifications and then kiss their a$$ to try and offer the best deal to get the project. After that point, you will work for 6 months dealing with headaches on every level and then the company will decide it isn't where they want to go and fire you to hire someone else......not that I'm bitter.

From what shoddy internet source did you pull this garbage data out of your butt?

Perhaps neither being a surgeon nor a CEO of a major multinational is in your future. Sounds to me like you'd be an excellent politician.

OH SNAP!

I have to get one of those in every week.

Go! Throw a left! Throw another left! Work the gut!
box.gif

Just wait until a radiologist is able to do your procedure less invasively or some new guy in your town is willing to do it for 25% less

Just wait until you actually get into med school ..........

Maybe it's hearing you whine about how the "procedural" medicine specialties are stealing all your cases with good reimbursement?

This is what happens when a lay person reads a "medical website" and thinks he's now a physician.

This is what happens when a lay person reads a "medical website" and thinks he's now a physician.

"Lay people" are actually quite a bit smarter than physicians. You know all that equipment in the OR? The things that actually saves lives? Those were invented by the "lay people".

Awesome that you've obtained this point of view as a pre-med. Despite the alternative point of view given here by actual practicing surgeons, you, as an apparent pre-med, presume to judge the whole field and simply it by saying essentially "it's plumbing and all problems are the same". Again, why are you here?

I've followed top surgeons, seen procedures, sat in med school courses, I've started and run my own company. I think I have the exposure to make judgements. I make these conclusions and trust my intelligence, which has been quite reliable in the past. I was willing to challenge them by posting here. Good luck to you as well.

"Lay people" are actually quite a bit smarter than physicians. You know all that equipment in the OR? The things that actually saves lives? Those were invented by the "lay people".

I am curious what "lay people" invented pieces of surgical equipment you are refering to.

Have you taken anatomy yet? Not watered down undergrad A&P that's sufficient for nuclear med techs etc (that wasn't meant to be inusulting.) For me, I liked the idea of surgery, but in the beginning of last semester I didn't really get what was going on. Now that I've taken anatomy, I have a much better appreciation (NOT understanding per se--I think that will require much more training) for what's going on. Once you know where the structures are/what innervates what/what supplies blood to where, you can get a feel for why the surgeon might have a certain "operative plan." It's much more interesting because you get to say "man, she's a few inches away from the so-and-so that means that we're near the blah-blah and have some idea what would happen if maybe things went awry. Don't share that thought out loud though. When you do those scary "clinical cases" in anatomy that go like 'Doctor X cut Patient Z's whatever artery and they bled to death. Why?" you realize that the surgeon is tip-toeing around a lot of important stuff and maybe neither you or a plumber, in all your glory, could do it (without extensive training.) Also, during most of the head & neck surgeries I have seen, the surgeons have explained to me why the patient actually needs the operation and how it will improve their quality of life. To me, thinking about how the procedure actually treats or even cures the patient's pathology is very exciting. If you don't feel at least that, I'm not sure if you'll just be able to "grow" that awe. Just an M1, and maybe I'm just as uninformed/annoying to real docs as you are. If so, these guys will call me out on it, and you can ignore my whole post. (yet another thing you'll grow to appreciate about surgeons when you're in med school and they get to call you out on your dumb thought/wrong anatomy--which I prefer to being called a 'unique snowflake' by my FM "doctoring" professor.)
Edit: who cares if some 'lay people' are smarter than physicians (and vice versa.) If a doctor is damn good at what she does, who cares if her kid's pre-school teacher can solve a rubix cube faster? I doubt all doctors care about being "smarter" but they know a hell of a lot more about the human body and all the crap that can go wrong with it (even my super-smart physio prof lost that battle when he said "brachiocorpalic" in class the other day. Unless that really exists and I'm just dumber than originally thought.) Good thing I kept that monkey wrench and plunger my grandfather gave me so I can get a job more suitable for me when I'm finally shown up. Crap I wanted one of those smirky blue smilies here and can't find it.

oh young padawan,

the spirit is strong in you but your youth shows. looking up at positions we tend to idealize the positions. look at CEO's and presidents as the pinnacle of business. the person that makes decisions and changes with in the company. But, in truth, the a successful leader is only as successful has his/her support. the position as head is not all glory as most may believe. there is drudgery of business meetings, and the monotony of dealing with always being wrong in someones eyes. the position of Head Honcho is not all a rock star life.

people look at the technical aspect of surgery and wonder, like you, how can you do the same thing over and over. the thing is people are not like man made machines. not every case is exactly the same. not every patient responds the same to treatment. the technical side of surgery is what get most people initially interested in surgery, but it is the intrigue of the differences in the human body and human experience that keeps physicians going.

are there things in surgery, medicine, and business that are monotonous? yes. i actually look forward to those nice easy days. the days when i don't have to think so hard or worry. problem is that most days (in my practice) are not the same. everyday is a school day.

so my young friend, MStewart, you are judging without perspective. we are here to give some perspective from the other side. not everything is as it seems when looking up at it. most of what we do in surgery is written in books with pictures. (i am just a bone doc, so i just look at the pictures :D) patients always forget to read the books.

btw ... lay people, although many are educated do not all truly understand what we do. no matter how much they read and that is ok. that is why we are here.

I've followed top surgeons, seen procedures, sat in med school courses, I've started and run my own company. I think I have the exposure to make judgements. I make these conclusions and trust my intelligence, which has been quite reliable in the past. I was willing to challenge them by posting here. Good luck to you as well.

So basically, you've shadowed a bit. I've been where you are now, and I can tell you from experience, you know nothing. In time you'll realize that.

You remind me of the scene in Good Will Hunting where Will looks at Robin William's painting on the wall and judges his whole life's experiences based on that one painting.

You've got a lot to learn, and it'd be in your best interest to actually be open to learning rather than show the spirit you've shown here. But for me, I hope you approach your 3rd year of medical school as you've approached this thread. Tell the surgeon they're just a glorified plumber. Tell the internist they do nothing but give the drugs others smarter than them created. Tell the orthopedist he's just a carpenter replacing parts created by lay people who actually invented something he lacks the intellect and ingenuity to invent himself. I'm tired of working with students like yourself.

Your ignorance is amusing. You believe that the equipment in the operating room is that which is responsible for saving the patient's life while underoging a major operation?

Then you're a bigger ***** than I thought initially.

Oh, wait... Let me apologize. This inanimate object (yes, the computer) sitting in front of me wrote that.

You have only seen the tip of the iceberg, ("just the tip, and only for a second"). Like many people, from your brief and limited exposure you gather that you have seen enough to know what it is like to be a surgeon. It would be like me stating that after grabbing a beer with a CEO and reading Forbes magazine I would know what it is like to be a CEO, CFO, or C3PO. That after watching "flip this house" I could be a plumber, an electrician or a carpenter. Many medical students start their third year clerkships and think they know what surgery is about, and find that they were wrong. Many take weeks to learn the differences in cholelithiasis, choledocolithiasis, biliary colick, acute and chronic cholecystitis, biliary dyskinesia, cholangitis, biliary pancreatitis, miritizzi's, when to order a US, HIDA, or MRCP, when to preform a cholecystostomy, or lap chole, and the highly variable anatomy is likely never appreciated. Many physicians in other fields have forgotten. Trust the experts. You are Wrong in thinking you understand surgery, and we feel that it is no more monotonous than other jobs in which people save lives.

It takes a little experience to appreciate the subtlety of seemingly monotonous procedures. I did three mediport insertions today. All had the same incision, and if I were student, might have looked pretty monotonous. But all three presented various technical and strategic challenges that made them unique. Only by doing do I now realize that the intricate variables make all the difference.

Has anyone considered the possibility that MStewart may be foreverLaur in disguise? The posts sound eerily familiar.

I thought he could be a troll myself, but the guy's been registered since 2005 and has a few hundred posts. He's a lurker to be sure and has come to one of the most stupidly presumptuous conclusions I've ever read about surgeons and surgery.

I'm almost thinking this could be a Wiccan incarnate of Cheisu. Has anyone seen his MySpace page recently? Perhaps he's gone from wanting to be nothing but a surgeon to wanting to be a corporate raider.

:laugh:

You sat in on random med courses, shadowed some surgeons, watched them perform some procedures and you think you've got medicine all figured out?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I thought he could be a troll myself, but the guy's been registered since 2005 and has a few hundred posts. He's a lurker to be sure and has come to one of the most stupidly presumptuous conclusions I've ever read about surgeons and surgery.

Curses! Foiled again! It seemed like such a good explanation. :p

I'm almost thinking this could be a Wiccan incarnate of Cheisu. Has anyone seen his MySpace page recently? Perhaps he's gone from wanting to be nothing but a surgeon to wanting to be a corporate raider.

You check his MySpace? :barf:

:D No, ******s.

He provided a link to his MySpace page on his SDN User Profile way back in the day. I guess I must've been the only loser to actually take a peek at it, and boy, I really wish I hadn't. He had all this satanic ritual crap on it and all this nonsense about the "Wiccan religion."

Then when we busted on him for that here, he either took down all that crap or put a lock on his profile so that only his 85,000 MySpace "friends" could see it.

Yeah, he definitely lost cool points for admitting that. ;)

When he said that his motivation for becoming a surgeon was watching Gray's Anatomy, I don't think he had any "cool points" left to lose.

That, and saying that dating was "overrated." :confused:

When he said that his motivation for becoming a surgeon was watching Gray's Anatomy, I don't think he had any "cool points" left to lose.

I think he meant Castro.