Person3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey..Great SDNers~~ I just need your help~ :)
Here is my stats..
Cum GPA: 3.1
Sci GPA:3.2
DAT: Bio 16 Chem 19 Org 20 AA 18 RC 18 QC 20 PAT 20
I am currently on BU alternate list. and did not apply for 2007.
also, I graduated this year.
here is my plan.....I am going to take some adv science courses since I finished up with only pre-req courses( didnt take adv courses :( ) and retake the DAT aiming for 20's....
Should I go for Post-Bac or it is ok to take just 2-3 courses at the school O graduated from.
I spoke with adm director today and she said I will need to increase GPAs
I really wonder what my chances are.......
I'd appreciate any word regarding my situation....

djeffreyt

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Dallas
Status
Dentist
If you can just take the courses at the school you are at, then do that, why bother with applying to a post-bac program and adding more work for yourself.

So you have decided that if you don't get in off the wait list then you won't apply again until the 2008 cycle? If that is what you were saying then you have plenty of time. Raise the GPA, but focus a lot on long term studying for the DAT and really destroy it next time.

tom_servo_dds

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
djeffreyt said:
If you can just take the courses at the school you are at, then do that, why bother with applying to a post-bac program and adding more work for yourself.

So you have decided that if you don't get in off the wait list then you won't apply again until the 2008 cycle? If that is what you were saying then you have plenty of time. Raise the GPA, but focus a lot on long term studying for the DAT and really destroy it next time.
Great advice! I was in almost your exact situation about a year ago and after graduating in 2005 I kept taking courses to boost my GPA across the board. After having taken 17 credits of science classes and getting all 4.0 in them, I'm in a completely different position this time around. It'll take work and a lot of endurance, but certainly you can still get in eventually. One thing that some people seem to forget is that schools also look to people who have a "stick-to-it" mentality about Dentistry. So really you just need to determine if it's something that you really want to do and go for it - if not, then go just as hard in something else. Do a post-bac if you are really interested in something, but not just to boost your GPA. Looks like you're in even a better position than the <3.0 crowd. That's my $.02, take free advice for what it is and best of luck! :)

About the Ads
OP
P

Person3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
tom_servo_dds said:
Great advice! I was in almost your exact situation about a year ago and after graduating in 2005 I kept taking courses to boost my GPA across the board. After having taken 17 credits of science classes and getting all 4.0 in them, I'm in a completely different position this time around. It'll take work and a lot of endurance, but certainly you can still get in eventually. One thing that some people seem to forget is that schools also look to people who have a "stick-to-it" mentality about Dentistry. So really you just need to determine if it's something that you really want to do and go for it - if not, then go just as hard in something else. Do a post-bac if you are really interested in something, but not just to boost your GPA. Looks like you're in even a better position than the <3.0 crowd. That's my $.02, take free advice for what it is and best of luck! :)
Thanks for your great advice... Yeah...I still have a chance~~YooHOO~~
can you give me your stats before you took extra courses and after.
what science courses did you take??????
thanks aagain for your help.. :thumbup:

tom_servo_dds

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
Person3 said:
Thanks for your great advice... Yeah...I still have a chance~~YooHOO~~
can you give me your stats before you took extra courses and after.
what science courses did you take??????
thanks aagain for your help.. :thumbup:
Not a problem, just PM me when you'd like... :)

About the Ads