dont want rotations to start... can anyone say something to make me feel better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hippocampus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
after hearing about 3rd year rotations (divorces, mean residents, misery), i'm scared about the rotations and don't want them to start.
can anyone say something to make me look forward to it instead? any happy way of thinking about it?

Members don't see this ad.

after hearing about 3rd year rotations (divorces, mean residents, misery), i'm scared about the rotations and don't want them to start.
can anyone say something to make me look forward to it instead? any happy way of thinking about it?

think of it as the worst year of your life followed by the best

i mean, the 4th years are all giddy now but after that, they're heading on to intern year.....

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't take the horror stories that you've heard as the absolute truth of what will happen to you. SDNers tend to use this as a place to vent so you get to read the worst of the worst.

As with everything you do, it's what you make of it. If you go in with a nervous/apprehensive attitude thinking that it's going to be crappy, it's going to be crappy. If you go in with an open mind you at least allow the possibility that it wont completely suck. I'm not trying to blow sunshine and rainbows up your butt, I'm just saying don't automatically assume that it's going to blow goats because of what you read on here.

For what it's worth, I'm starting up third year in a week and a half. I got a copy of 250 Mistakes 3rd Year Med Students Make and it's been helpful to make things a little bit more digestible. Good luck.

Rotations are awesome. I mean not all the time but in comparison to the first 2 years they are frickin great.

I wouldn't take the horror stories that you've heard as the absolute truth of what will happen to you. SDNers tend to use this as a place to vent so you get to read the worst of the worst.

As with everything you do, it's what you make of it. If you go in with a nervous/apprehensive attitude thinking that it's going to be crappy, it's going to be crappy. If you go in with an open mind you at least allow the possibility that it wont completely suck. I'm not trying to blow sunshine and rainbows up your butt, I'm just saying don't automatically assume that it's going to blow goats because of what you read on here.

For what it's worth, I'm starting up third year in a week and a half. I got a copy of 250 Mistakes 3rd Year Med Students Make and it's been helpful to make things a little bit more digestible. Good luck.

Congratulations, your admission in the last paragraph nullifies everything that came before it.

Having just finished third year roughly a half-hour ago I can say this with great certainty--your average day M3 year is going to be better than your average day during M1-M2, however your worst M3 day/rotation will make what you considered a bad day during the first two years look like a walk in the park.

I agree, the average third year day is usually better than the average first or second year day. However, you're the occasional frustrations you have in third year are going to eclipse anything from first and second year.

I agree, the average third year day is usually better than the average first or second year day. However, you're the occasional frustrations you have in third year are going to eclipse anything from first and second year.

This is just my experience so take it as you will.

I vastly enjoyed 1st and 2nd year more than 3rd year. Yeah, the majority of my class and probably this board disagrees.

But I find 3rd year to be a complete, nonstop evaluation. The mind games I play with myself are enough to drive anyone crazy.

Should I stand here? Will it impact my grade?
Should I leave early? Will it impact my grade?
Should I present this journal article and risk a beatdown by my fellow students afterwards?
Should I follow that angry intern like a lost puppy? Or just sit down and relax during this long evening of nightfloat?
Should I barge in and help to deliver that baby? Or sit back and not intrude?
Should I ask more questions at the OR table with that angry attending? Or just stay silent and look stupid?
The psych attending told me to go home at 8AM. Is that a trick? Or should I go enjoy myself and my newfound time off?

At times, I found myself envying virtually everyone I saw in the hospital because they had a defined role and me, well, I was just left to twist in the wind.

And this experience is (for the most part) with an awesome collection of residents. I've had some hit-or-miss attendings but for the most part, I was treated extremely well by residents. (At least to my face, until evaluation time came rolling around. but that's a whole different story.....)

I will agree that the worst day of 3rd year will definitely make the worst day of 1st/2nd year seem like a vacation on a tropical island.

Just remember that once you hit your MS-III rotations, you finally get to "play doctor" - what you've been waiting for all this time!

But I find 3rd year to be a complete, nonstop evaluation. The mind games I play with myself are enough to drive anyone crazy.

This was the worst part of 3rd year by far, IMO.

3rd year was the best year you will never want to do again. It is hard work but rewarding. You finally get to be (and not just play at being) the doctor.

Words of wisdom for what they are worth....
1. Be a team player- your residents and teammates (fellow students) will appreciate you far more than that student who only looks out for themselves. Exchange numbers with your teammates.
2. Read when you can, eat when you can, sleep when you can and don't forget to call home and check in.
3. Do the best that you can and let the chips (grades) fall where they may. Realize that no matter how hard you work, you may not get the honors- there is much more subjectively this year than before. What make a great doctor? Ask 100 physicians, get 100 different answers.
4. Treat every patient as if you are their doctor and they are your responsibility. You should know what is going on with them better than the resident and chief.
5. When in doubt ask. I know that there is an old saying that it is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. However, the good residents and attendings will not think less of you for asking a question or having them check something (heart murmur, lung sounds) if you are not sure. We are learning.
6. Remember everyone has a bad day including you. Try not to take things too personally if and when you get yelled at (you will make mistakes and sometimes people have short fuses).

your average day M3 year is going to be better than your average day during M1-M2, however your worst M3 day/rotation will make what you considered a bad day during the first two years look like a walk in the park.
This is one of the most accurate comments about 3rd year that I've heard. The good days will outnumber the bad days...unless you're on surgery, in which case I make no promises. :cool:

I'll disagree with one thing that's been said here. Namely, my worst days during third year were still orders of magnitude better than my worst days during pre-clinical years. Of course I've never had attendings yell at me, the fellow students on my team were always people that were my friends, and a long time ago I got over the self-created stigma of not knowing the answer.

I can't guarantee that you'll have the same experience, but there are a couple of things I've realized over the last year that I think can help.

1) Don't complain to your team. Yeah, you may wish to be anywhere else in the world at that moment, you may have a million things going on in your life, but save the sob stories and frustrations for your friends and SDN.

2) Do the things you know how to do without being asked. If you've done GYN already and know what to do for a post-op check, then there's no reason not to do them on surgery without being asked.

3) If someone offers you the opportunity to do anything, DO IT. If you've never done it, tell them, but make it clear that you'd like to do it. If it's something you've never seen done, then ask if you can watch first but that you'd like to do it next time.

4) Have things done on time. If your team is rounding at 8am, for the love of all that is holy, make sure your notes are done before then. I'd say in general, it's impossible to be wrong if you are at the hospital before your residents, unless there are some unique situations (I did surgery at a community hospital with a group of 4 surgeons and only one resident - she had to manage all the patients, so it was only natural that she got there a little before I did since I only had 3 patients to follow, and she had to track 12 or more routinely - I still tried to get there at about the same time she did though).

5) Admit when you don't know something. It's painfully obvious when you don't, and a waste of time making everyone sit around while you try to come up with the answer. Get used to saying "I don't know, but I'll look it up". There's nothing wrong with not knowing.

6) If you're ever asked a %age question - like the number of pre-eclamptics that will progress to eclampsia - your answers are always 95%/5%, 80/20 or 50/50. Those all put you in the ballpark and generally are close enough that no one's going to grill you any further. I had one of my pre-clinical advisors tell me that first year, and it's been absolutely true.

Seriously, I can't even begin to explain how awesome my third year has been. It's finally doing what you've wanted to do for so long.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations, your admission in the last paragraph nullifies everything that came before it.

Having just finished third year roughly a half-hour ago I can say this with great certainty--your average day M3 year is going to be better than your average day during M1-M2, however your worst M3 day/rotation will make what you considered a bad day during the first two years look like a walk in the park.

Point taken...it was a generalized encouragement and what I'm trying to convince myself to do.

one thing I like better about third year is that some of your grade is based on enthusiasm, willingness to work hard, ability to get along with others, etc. Basically, the things that really matter when it comes to being a good physician, but is never tested first and second year. I like it because I've been an average medical student academically, but feel like I excel in some of those subjective areas, so I'm happy to be working and my performance means more than some numerical score....

I think if I had rocked out the first two years and made all A's or something, 3rd year would be a harder transition because your grades aren't as predictable or straight forward. But it does open some chances to shine for reasons other than your ability to memorize 17483 details for a multiple choice test!

I had a lot of anxiety before starting third year too. I haven't had any truly bad experiences. There have been a few attendings who didn't really want to make the rotation a learning experience. Fortunately, there were other attendings on the same service during those rotations, so, I just tried to work with the attendings who were willing to teach on the rotation.

I think that, at least for me, going into every rotation with a good attitude goes a long way. I had a two week ortho rotation, and I dreaded it before it even started, I watched the clock all day, counting the minutes until I could go home, and it was a very long two weeks. Before my general surgery rotation started, I decided to make the most of the rotation, decided that I didn't want to be miserable for four weeks, etc.
I have one more day left of my surgery rotation and, honestly, I'm kinda not looking forward to the end of this rotation. The attendings were almost all awesome, the residents were amazing, I learned a lot, I did a lot, and I really had a great time on this rotation. I'm not ending my general surgery rotation with the intention of becoming a surgeon, but it was really a good rotation and I'm so grateful to have had this four week experience.

Read, show interest, become part of the team for the duration of your rotation- help out with whatever is needed, and just do your best. One of my best evaluations was for anesthesia- I didn't have many successful intubations, I got all of the highest scores possible (from the form provided by MSUCOM) and nice comments too.
My core psychiatry rotation was one where I came in early, stayed late (well beyond what was expected or asked for), worked really hard, typed out all of the consulations that I did and asked for feedback, etc, The attending who I was assigned to had his secretary fill out student evaluations. The student on the rotation with me came in late, verbalized his belief that all of the schizophrenic and psychotic psych patients were "faking it", or just complaining (for depressed patients), didn't show up a few days (and didn't always call or called hours late when he was "sick"). That student and I both got the same exact semi-mediocre evaluation. Work hard, but don't stress over the evaluations. In my case, they evened out- I got a great eval when I didn't really deserve it, but I also got an average evaluation when I thought I earned a stellar eval.

Last edited:

I saw some book that looked like Pharmacopeia (sp?) today, it was "How to Be an Excellent JMS." I was laughing as I was browsing it... especially at the 10 pages on venipuncture. There was even bolded "Don't forget to remove the tourniquet." This is about a week after a nurse in the ED forgot to take the tourniquet off my demented patient after putting in the IV. Good thing I caught it.

M3 year has had some of the best and worst days of my life. Be prepared for the worst. Like people telling you you're doing great, don't change anything, then getting scathed on your final eval. Be prepared to be yelled at by attendings telling you you're not helping and even by patients (residents have not done that to me yet) -- probably because I admit upfront that I know hospitals run without med students just fine. Realize that you are useless. Find a way to motivate yourself when you really don't want to get up at 6am to go see crazy people.

However, the good days are great. I enjoyed life on my ortho rotation and even my anesthesia rotation. About halfway through the rest of the rotations I wanted to claw my eyes out.

Enjoy whatever free time you have. Unfortunately, most of my free time was when the weather sucked this spring. =(

Your school may also tell you that they're there to help you when really their actions show they are not. Sorry... really bitter right now.

It only lasts a year.

The best part about 3rd year was being done with 1st and 2nd year.

I apologize in advance because I'm going to rain on the parade a little here. But i have to say some of the comments on this thread I just plain disagree with.

Especially the "you finally get to be (and not just play at being) the doctor." Ha! Playing at being doctor is EXACTLY what you will be doing in third year. (not that I would want it to be any different, mind you. Good god, if the team had followed half of my treatment plans during third year I cringe to think of what might have happened to the poor patients.) But it can really suck in third year because most of the time, your treatment plans will be completely ignored, you will have little impact on the care of patients, and the rare times that you do get it right the resident will get (or take) credit for it. At least you always have the bitter satisfaction of knowing whether you were on the right track or not.

I also think it's CRAZY to say the worst day of third year is better than the worst day of years 1-2. Huh? My worst day in first and second year was absolutely nothing compared to my worst day in third year. No one ever yelled at me in first and second year; questions were encouraged, learning was oriented towards the student, I was treated with respect most of the time, I knew what my schedule would be prior to starting the first day of class (we never knew our schedules before the first day of the rotation-i don't know if that's different for other folks).

On the other hand, my best days in 3rd year totally trumped anything that ever happened in first and second year (which were completely boring and filled with meaningless memorization).

I identified much more with what NPR said. The agony of subjective evaluations can just kill you. The balance between taking initiative and not stepping out of line varies from attending to attending and resident to resident. Reading minds would be the best way to do well in third year, because people usually don't make their expectations clear.

My best advice for third year is to be like water; flexible, flowing, ready to adapt at any moment to any situation. Always try to have a good attitude; it's the only thing you have control over. Be humble, be humble, be humble.

3rd year does suck, but you get by. Too bad I have to do it all over again...

I also think it's CRAZY to say the worst day of third year is better than the worst day of years 1-2. Huh? My worst day in first and second year was absolutely nothing compared to my worst day in third year. No one ever yelled at me in first and second year; questions were encouraged, learning was oriented towards the student, I was treated with respect most of the time, I knew what my schedule would be prior to starting the first day of class (we never knew our schedules before the first day of the rotation-i don't know if that's different for other folks).

That is one thing that really sucks about 3rd year. In the first 2 years you were expected not to know everything, and asking questions wasn't seen as a bad thing (unless it was in excess). Suddenly, if you open your mouth you better already know the answer or you will be treated like the biggest ***** of all time. Sheesh, we don't have years of clinical experience yet, give us a break when something stupid comes out:rolleyes:

This was the worst part of 3rd year by far, IMO.

I relate with the mindgames. Our third year evaluations play a tremendous role in where and what we can do for residency. That said, our evaluations boil down to time available for studying and a handful of evaluations from residents and attendings.

Unfortunately, "some" residents and attendings are less than enthtusiastic about including students in rounding, discussions, patient care, etc. Some will be happy to have you out of their hair, even if you're studying in the library, and will forget about you the second they lose sight of you. Other residents and attendings make sure to turn in evaluations on all students and show some enthusiasm in getting to know you, teaching you what they can, and figuring out whether or not you're cool, intelligent, hard-working, etc. There's this in-between category of residents and attendings that seem hot and cold. They clearly want you to remain silent at times and want you out of their hair as often as possible, but they make efforts to include you some of the time. Occasionally, you'll be following them around for two hours realizing that they're not letting you do anything and haven't made eye contact with you. You'll ask if you can do x, y, or z for them and you won't get a clear answer. They'll sit down to check their personal email, stop to chat with someone in the hall, or make a phonecall to a significant other, and yet when you break away from them to study, they'll question your interest in their specialty. People complain about scut, but what's much worse is the time you'll spend pacing and twiddling your thumbs because someone wanted you someplace "on time" (when they show up a half hour late) or because you're waiting on something and don't have enough time to take out a book or because you're sitting there, watching a resident complete a fellowship application after telling you that it's important you stick around.

I had an intern get upset with me for taking off post-call. At my program, we take call with a team other than our own (I know, a little weird) and the other team's intern made sure I slept. My intern was upset that I sill wanted post-call off because she knew I had gotten sleep and enjoyed my company during the day. I've had other residents who gave me not-nows and ask-me-laters and I-don't-have-time-for-you-right-nows for a month straight. One particular resident of this natre had a rough time in residency and will unlikely find the time to fill out an evaluation on me. Nonetheless, my school's gonna pressure him for one and I have no idea what he can write.

I've done the best on rotations where I didn't think or care about all of that stuff. If people like you, they generally give you good evaluations and are sympathetic about your need to study when it's close to the exam. But it gets tough on your longer, more important and stressful rotations. Especially medicine and surgery.

To answer hippocampus' question: You get to take care of patients third year. That's why many of us went into medicine (even those of us who are going into diagnostics). That makes the difference. There are strong emotional highs and lows third year. Some people can't stand it and others wouldn't trade it for the world. Third year, which ends for me in 5 hours from now after surgery shelf, was a very hard year but much more exciting and reaffirming of my decision to pursue an MD than anything else I have done with my life.

Good luck!

Suck it up, and be enthusiastic even if it kills you. Thus, you will survive 3rd year.

There's this in-between category of residents and attendings that seem hot and cold. They clearly want you to remain silent at times and want you out of their hair as often as possible, but they make efforts to include you some of the time. Occasionally, you'll be following them around for two hours realizing that they're not letting you do anything and haven't made eye contact with you. You'll ask if you can do x, y, or z for them and you won't get a clear answer. They'll sit down to check their personal email, stop to chat with someone in the hall, or make a phonecall to a significant other, and yet when you break away from them to study, they'll question your interest in their specialty. People complain about scut, but what's much worse is the time you'll spend pacing and twiddling your thumbs because someone wanted you someplace "on time" (when they show up a half hour late) or because you're waiting on something and don't have enough time to take out a book or because you're sitting there, watching a resident complete a fellowship application after telling you that it's important you stick around.

I don't know whether to laugh at the memory or remain angry just thinking of all the times I had to do the above.

Either way...Well said! :thumbup:

That is one thing that really sucks about 3rd year. In the first 2 years you were expected not to know everything, and asking questions wasn't seen as a bad thing (unless it was in excess). Suddenly, if you open your mouth you better already know the answer or you will be treated like the biggest ***** of all time. Sheesh, we don't have years of clinical experience yet, give us a break when something stupid comes out:rolleyes:

[/rant] The worst part is asking questions about basic clinical skills that everyone seems to take for granted in the hospital. Like reading monitors, how to drape a patient properly in the OR, sterile technique, how to operate the dang bed. Things that nurses take for granted that we already know. Christ, nobody ever told me a damn thing about any of the machines in the ICU. And I don't recall learning much about vent settings in years 1 and 2. The dumbest nurse can put in a foley like they were born doing it. And many of them look at you like you are stupid because you can't put in an IV or a foley, and don't know what a wet-dry dressing is (let alone how to apply one). You can see them wondering "what do they learn in medical school?" Never mind that they were given tons of instruction and practice time learning those skills and yet we are often expected to do it perfectly the first time, with poor instruction, and often while people are critically evaluating us. And the residents are usually no better; having learned in just as haphazard way as us, or perhaps not remembering that they once did not know how to put in a foley either. Listen, I know medical students are supposed to be 'smart' but even a smart person needs some practice with motor skills. And the psychological punishment we get for asking 'dumb' questions about things we can't learn in a book (instead of sitting there quietly like good medical students) just perpetuates the ignorance. [/bitter]

I've completed now two rotations, and I can say that what is most unnerving about 3rd year is

1.) The "evaluation straightjacket" - you are evaluated on everything, from how you look, what you do with your hands while at rest, how many and what questions you ask, what questions you don't ask, looking "busy" all the time, etc.

2.) It is almost entirely dependent on the team, i.e. the residents and attendings. Both the experience and how you will be evaluated.

My first rotation was in a field I thought I would dislike and still in fact do. But it was a decent experience because the resident (especially) and the attending let me know their expectations, were kind and treated me with respect, gave me a chance to ask questions (I never felt like my asking a question was an annoyance - they always seemed interested in teaching), and gave me the time to study for the shelf. The second rotation was in a field that I thought I would like and still do, to a degree. But the residents were so annoyed at having med students around, so unpleasant (especially one of them) to the point of disrespect and hostility, attendings were so flakey, that this second experience was awful.

Here's the thing about evaluations and "always being on stage" though - as hard as it is, try not to worry too much about whether you are saying the right thing, doing the right thing, whatever. Show up on time, ask questions, show enthusiasm, and you will do well. It is a crapshoot in some senses who does your evaluations, but if you do all of these things you are likely to do well on average.

Some people you will just not be able to relate with, no matter how hard you try, and you will always seem like you say the wrong thing or do the wrong thing around them. Just do your best. Don't be pushy - ask if there is anything else you can do or anything they need, and if they tell you to go, just go.

Here's the thing about evaluations and "always being on stage" though - as hard as it is, try not to worry too much about whether you are saying the right thing, doing the right thing, whatever. Show up on time, ask questions, show enthusiasm, and you will do well. It is a crapshoot in some senses who does your evaluations, but if you do all of these things you are likely to do well on average.

Some people you will just not be able to relate with, no matter how hard you try, and you will always seem like you say the wrong thing or do the wrong thing around them. Just do your best. Don't be pushy - ask if there is anything else you can do or anything they need, and if they tell you to go, just go.

Everyone always runs into an attending or resident that they just can't get along with no matter what they do. Speaking from personal experience (a very bad one at that), these attendings or residents are largely also ignored by their fellow faculty and therefore their evaluations are marginalized because they know just what kind of people they are. If they are being petulant, just give the appearance of not letting it phase you. There is nothing more annoying to people with Axis II cluster B disorders, which the medical field has no shortage of, than being ignored or not responding in the manner they want you to respond in. Just make sure you don't honk off the clerkship director(s) because they ultimately determine your grade.

I had, for the most part, a great 3rd and 4th year experience. Just put a smile on your face, read a little every day and show up on time. You'll do just fine and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

[/rant]The dumbest nurse can put in a foley like they were born doing it. And many of them look at you like you are stupid because you can't put in an IV or a foley, and don't know what a wet-dry dressing is (let alone how to apply one). You can see them wondering "what do they learn in medical school?" Never mind that they were given tons of instruction and practice time learning those skills and yet we are often expected to do it perfectly the first time, with poor instruction, and often while people are critically evaluating us. [/bitter]

Yeah, that sounds like my experience.

The first time I put in a foley, the nurse (who was the world's worst teacher) kept contradicting herself. First she said that the bag WASN'T sterile, and then, 3 minutes later, she screeched that it WAS sterile and that I had contaminated it. Jeebus, lady, make up your mind.

It really is interesting to see the huge divide between what the techs are taught, versus what we're taught. Yeah, that tech could put in a foley better than I could. But, halfway through the case, I heard that tech whisper to another tech, "Why do they keep talking about making sure the patient gets vaccinated? He's just getting his spleen removed."

Well, you know the bad parts already. Some of the residents are horrible human beings, the hours can suck, and it's constant subjective evaluations. Your options for getting out of bad situations are much more limited as well. You didn't like your anatomy lab group? Fine - spend minimal time in lab, don't study with these people, and your lab partners didn't grade you anyway. But if you don't like your intern? Well, you can't just run away and hide...since the intern will likely bust you for that on your eval....and you can't just switch teams either. That can sometimes be a tough situation.

Some of the patient encounters are memorable, although not for good reasons. On peds, I had TWO patients where the mother came charging in and demanded that I examine her daughter to see "if she was still a virgin." :eek: Memorable encounters, yes; fun visits, no.

My friends also now really seem to believe that I'm going to be a doctor, so they keep trying to convince me that I should become a plastic surgeon. Not going to happen, but their frequent teasing that I should gets a little wearing at times. It's also a little disconcerting to have your friends text you with pictures of their own rashes, and have them ask you "What is this?"

The good parts - every day is a little different, which can be a nice switch from the pre-clinical years. You'll have a lot of GOOD patient encounters. And all patient encounters (even the bad ones, like I mentioned above) are still better than reading about biochem pathways for hours on end. It's nice when you have a chance to really take ownership of a patient's care, and really get to know someone. You'll be doing stuff that few people get a chance to do - cut out cancers, deliver babies. You get to see people at their best and their worst. And, if you stumble upon the specialty that you love, that surprises you at how much fun it is, every day is a joy.

....and you can't just switch teams either. That can sometimes be a tough situation.
I agree with everything you said except, in my experience, the clerkship directors have been very open to switching a med student's team. I haven't had to do it but have several classmates who have and the rotation director was happy to help. They put it this way: "if you don't tell me there's a problem, I won't be able to do anything about it."

I agree with everything you said except, in my experience, the clerkship directors have been very open to switching a med student's team. I haven't had to do it but have several classmates who have and the rotation director was happy to help. They put it this way: "if you don't tell me there's a problem, I won't be able to do anything about it."

No, you bring up a good point - if things get REALLY bad during third year, speak up. Maybe the clerkship director can do something about it.

In the case that I was thinking of, there wasn't any other options. The resident was pretty crappy to ALL the med students, and if I had switched, I would have had to subject one of my classmates to her. I couldn't do that - that would be cruel. And there were no other teams without med students, so I couldn't just ask to be put on another team.

In the case that I was thinking of, there wasn't any other options. The resident was pretty crappy to ALL the med students, and if I had switched, I would have had to subject one of my classmates to her. I couldn't do that - that would be cruel. And there were no other teams without med students, so I couldn't just ask to be put on another team.
haha, I actually know of a medicine resident who is not allowed to have medical students anymore because she's been a huge b**** to everyone. It's kinda sad, really...