Don't you just hate the uncertainty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trustee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't you hate studying so hard to ace your classes, do well on the MCAT, and fit in volunteering/ research activities, and get LORs, just to MAYBE get into medical school?

From what i have read on sdn, the whole process is pretty random. Sure you can do things to maximize your chance of getting into somewhere. However, there is still a chance of not getting into anything.

When I think about the 40-50% of success rate every year, I get discouraged.
:scared:
I HATE THIS. :(

Do you feel the same?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't you hate studying so hard to ace your classes, do well on the MCAT, and fit in volunteering/ research activities, and get LORs, just to MAYBE get into medical school?

From what i have read on sdn, the whole process is pretty random. Sure you can do things to maximize your chance of getting into somewhere. However, there is still a chance of not getting into anything.

Do you feel the same?
I totally get what you're saying. It drives me crazy and makes me so anxious/depressed everyday. At times, I feel like just tossing this whole premed thing and pursue some other career that is less fierce. But then I may feel like a loser/quitter for the rest of my life if I do that, which is one of the reasons (though certainly not the only reason) why I continue in the premed track.

Last edited:

Do you feel the same?

Wait so you aren't applying now? You will get in based on your md apps. I predict the SUNYs and Hofstra for sure will give you a shot as would Albany or NYMC. I predict that you are competitive enough for the other NY schools but that is more up in the air because there are other people with your kinda numbers who are competitive at thsoe schools or more competitive then you so that is where it could go either way. However, I see you getting into a lot of places.

But I do understand the sentiment you feel.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have at least one good "WTF am I doing" moment everyday. Feelsbadman.jpg

That's why you need to be better then everyone else. ;)

But honestly its a rat race, from the start that's all it was and all it'll be. You'll jump through some hoops and then bark like a seal for fish. Anyways I'm slightly inclined to hope that SDN members have a higher acceptance rate then the average pre-med who listens to pre-med advisers with absolutely no grasp of this process.

OP...I was looking over your MD apps profile. It looks like you are a very competitive applicant with good numbers and very good EC's/clinical experiences. Where have you attended interviews? If you have not received any invites, is it because of a red flag in your application? If you have had interviews, how do you think they went? Keep us updated!

Well cats usually don't bark either, but both of mine do. :p Stupid confused kittens raised by dogs.

Haha, that's the first I've heard of a barking cat! Seals are incapable of producing the noises that we constitute as barking. They sound like a donkey braying or someone with bronchitis.

Source: Worked at an aquarium for 2 years.

no, i am not. applying next cycle. i hope suny schools will show some love for IS. (fyi, i am a NY resident).

I would love to go to Downstate. if only adcoms would accept me now, and have me maintain my GPA and extracurricular, life would be a lot easier. :p

OP...I was looking over your MD apps profile. It looks like you are a very competitive applicant with good numbers and very good EC's/clinical experiences. Where have you attended interviews? If you have not received any invites, is it because of a red flag in your application? If you have had interviews, how do you think they went? Keep us updated!
\

i am applying next cycle. i hope i will be interviewing next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's amazing how far knowledge of the application process alone will take you. Knowing when to submit your transcripts to AMCAS, knowing that LORs aren't required to submit AMCAS, deadlines, promptness...it all makes a huge difference to avoid pitfalls that may delay your application.

Taking control of the things you have control over can at least take away any factors that may hurt you in the whole uncertainty process. That's my two cents anyway.

This doesn't mean your chances of getting in are 40-50%. If you spend enough time looking at everyone's MDApps around here, you'll see that people who don't get into medical school on their first try either have very dismal MCAT scores/GPAs or don't apply early/broadly/intelligently. For example, someone with a 37 who applies exclusively to top-10 schools is really risking it. Someone with a 25 might not get in anywhere, no matter how broadly he/she applies.

Looking at your MDApps, you're an ideal candidate for a whole slew of med schools and might even have a shot at some top-20's. If you apply to the schools you listed, you're almost guaranteed to get in somewhere.

\

The uncertainty is there, but it's not all bad. I have gotten interviews (and even acceptances) from places I did not expect, and I have been rejected or not interviewed at places I thought I had a great chance at.

That's the game. Based on your stats and everything, if you play it right, you will get in somewhere. And I bet it will be somewhere you would like to go (you should apply only to places you would go but I personally know that some schools are more equal than others on your list).

Make sure to apply early and to a range of schools (not too top heavy), and you will be fine.

It's not "random". If you have a solid GPA, MCAT score and lead a decently interesting / positive life, you will get in somewhere (provided you have a decent personality to boot).

The 50% success rates factor in non-SDN people, which I honestly believe are generally less motivated (for the most part). That includes people like a close friend of mine who applied with a 3.7/22 and essentially no volunteering, leadership roles, shadowing, etc. SDN users are different, and I'm assuming the admissions rate on here is much higher than the overall average.

think of it as russian roulette, except, you're the shooter.

\

You will get some love for sure and WILL BE INTERVIEWING at places for sure, and yes downstate sounds amazing. i was reading about the school to write my secondary and the thought of 21 hospitals made it sound fabulous because it means great clinical experience and esp. with brooklyn diversity. The only downside is I imagine brooklyn can probably kinda dangerous at times but still Downstate would be amazing for medical training.

I have no doubt at all that you will get in many places and most likely many places in NY.

good luck and don't stress it.

You are no where near the bad position a lot of people I know are in or that I am in.

The only downside is I imagine brooklyn can probably kinda dangerous at times

iloled-pam.jpg

Brooklyn?? Really?? Well, maybe if you are a red sox fan...

If you do this, and the LOR's are good/excellent, and you can talk about your research, and you volunteering is meaningful, and if maybe you have time to be an interesting and personable person, you are almost guaranteed to get into med school.

Now, if you mean 3.6/30/cliche/cliche/awkward, maybe you have something to worry about.

LOL. You know what is funny? I knew a lot of bostonians who were yankees fans when I was in boston.

College students from New York aren't Bostonians.

Can't blame 'em for wanting to get a first-rate education in Beantown...

College students from New York aren't Bostonians.

Can't blame 'em for wanting to get a first-rate education in Beantown...

Yeah that was what happened. It was kids from NY living in boston. In some cases it wasn't just college kids but kids who moved to Mass when they were kids but were originally NY born and raised til a certain age.

I remember one time the bus driver honked cuz he saw a yankees fan in boston and another time it was a classmate of mine who lives nearer to New Hampshire in mass but who was born and raised in NY til a certain. But I know there were others too.

And often, it was because they were from NY first and then later moved to boston.

Life is uncertain, my friend. Either one of us could very well die tomorrow. Or 15 minutes from now. What assurance do we have that anything in our future will go as planned? Just live your life in the way that makes you feel the happiest, and stuff will sort itself out later :) Study what you love, work as hard as you need to be happy, and spend the rest of your time playing. If that means that you end up happy, but not a doc, then... that's a good thing right? I would much prefer that to being a miserable medical student/doctor.

The uncertainty in life is what makes it so damn interesting.

Every few weeks I have a career crisis. "Maybe I should give this up and do something easy", "maybe I should settle for a mediocre job", yada yada. It passes by the next day. If I gave up now I'd hugely regret it so yes, while the uncertainty is unnerving at times, I put up with it to pursue what I'm passionate about