DOOK Interview QUESTION! HELP! Interviewing friday! :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kreno

Candy Man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone PLEASE tell me a little about Dook's interview. I read up on it a bit... and I know about the alpha, betta interviews, etc. But can someone tell me specifically, WHAT DO THE INTERVIEWERS know about you? That is, is it open-file or closed-file? Do they have EVERYTHING in front of them (like at Umich, for example), or just your secondary, or neither! please explain - preferably someone who has interviewed there THIS application cycle so far. Thanks! :)

kreno :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Kreno,

I interviewed at duke back in november and it is by far my top choice school. The interviews are laid back and not stressful at all. The interviewers have all the info on you and have read it beforehand. Mine had questions all ready to ask so they had obviously taken notes on my application. When I went there were about 6-8 of us, I can't remember completely. We got there a little before 10, plan on getting there earlier because it's hard as hell to find the admissions office in the underground maze. (I went to duke undergrad and I was lost). A little after 10 you all move to a conference room and get a talk from Dr. Brenda Armstrong, who explains the duke system in detail. She's very friendly and cool. Then you see a rather cheesy film on financial aid. After that I believe we had lunch with a couple med students in a little room, not in the cafeteria. The lunches are ordered from an outside restaurant and are pretty good. The med students are really friendly and will answer any questions you have. After that we all returned to the admissions office and waited for our interviewers to call us. There are only a few interviewers so they get to see most of the applicants there on that day. As far as alpha and beta, don't worry about it. Most people can't tell which is which, and they want it that way. So just be yourself and pretend there's no such thing as alpha and beta. If you try to guess and gear your answer one way, you'll probably screw up. I thought my first one was beta for sure, but after the second, I thought my first was alpha. They do have student interviewers too, and they have just as much say as the faculty ones. I thought mine went pretty well, both the interviewers were pretty laid back and although they were asking questions, it became conversational. Be careful of ethical questions though, they seem to like them. After the interviews, you are free to go. If you drove there and parked in the parking deck, ask to get your parking validated so you don't have to pay for it. That pretty much sums up how it went for me. It's an awesome school and I wrote them a letter of intent already. I also interviewed at upenn, harvard, and yale, but in my opinion Duke is king. Have fun at the interview and put in a good word for me. Let me know if you have any other questions.

ccCrazie,

What year did you graduate from Duke? I graduated last May 2002.

Good luck getting in. I would have loved to go back there, but they gave me the boot two years in a row. No interviews, either. :( Maybe I'll get to go back for residency someday.

GO DUKE!

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated in May also. You're in Ohio now.....applied two years in a row....you wouldn't also happen to be a huge dave matthews fan and wear a basketball on your head in Cameron and a net around your neck, would you?

GO DUKE!

wow, thankx cc for the reply! :)

Damn CCCrazie, you have Dukbluedevl02 down to a T...you obviously know exactly who he is....do you know who i am??

surfdevl02,

I thought I knew who you were before because I know someone from duke who graduated in may, was a surfer, and is now at UCSF in the MD/PhD program, but your profile says you are in the AmeriCorps so it can't be who I thought it was. So I guess I have no idea then...

Did you apply to duke med this year?

ccCrazie,

Haha, that's great. Good luck to you.

GO DUKE!

So how'd it go kreno?

While you were there did you pick up any good information about this year's applicant pool at duke?

Duke was cool. Interview went weird... can't tell - prolly not as good as I hoped. we'll find out by march 12th or something i think. another rejection i'm sure :(

kreno

ccCrazie,

i guess you must be talking about me because i am a duke '02 grad now at UCSF in the MD/PhD program, but i have no idea who you are...who are you??

vmn2

Originally posted by ccCrazie
surfdevl02,

I thought I knew who you were before because I know someone from duke who graduated in may, was a surfer, and is now at UCSF in the MD/PhD program, but your profile says you are in the AmeriCorps so it can't be who I thought it was. So I guess I have no idea then...

Did you apply to duke med this year?

hey VMN, i think i know who you are....all of my Indian friends at Duke (and i had a lot of them) have asked me if i know you since i now live in San Fran. And yes, i graduated 2002.

vmn man, how you doing? What does everyone look at this website? I'm glad to hear you got into ucsf. I think when we left school you were waitlisted or something and didn't know where you were going. Or maybe I just forgot. No idea who I am? Does the CC part of my name give you any hint? And they're not my initials....

ccCrazie,

I now know who you are! I went through the entire pic book trying to find New Jersey and someone I knew in House CC who was also pre-med. Sure enough, I now know! Haha, if only I would have remembered your IM screenname from Jason K.'s buddy list, I wouldn't have had to search through the book, well at least until I got to the T's.

Good luck to you with your applications, I hope you get into Duke, man!!

btw, who is CBDWEM?

Haha, you got me! That'll give a hint to vmn2 too. Sorry to hear you got no love from duke. Was that question about CBDWEM for me? Where is that from? I don't recognize it.

Man did Duke blow it today..... I used to love chris duhon but this season man, he's just not playing well. If I see him take one more 3 from 10 feet outside the line I'm going to have to go down there and strangle him....

Good luck to you with the other schools you applied to.

ccCrazie...man i really should know who you are by now but i am blanking, any other clues?

Haha, you got me! That'll give a hint to vmn2 too. Sorry to hear you got no love from duke. Was that question about CBDWEM for me? Where is that from? I don't recognize it.

Man did Duke blow it today..... I used to love chris duhon but this season man, he's just not playing well. If I see him take one more 3 from 10 feet outside the line I'm going to have to go down there and strangle him....

Good luck to you with the other schools you applied to.

yeah cccrazie
I wanna know too! A premed in House CC, my year? I feel like i should know who you are....

vmn2,
I miss you man - i should come up to san fran to visit some time!

still curious....

I never liked Duhon, so I'd love to see this! :laugh: just kidding! Seriously though, the line is 19'9", not 27'; he should prolly get a reminder of that next year. ;) But the women are still alive (Sat. @9 on ESPN), so let's show them love as well. :clap:

Good luck to you all (Class of 2002)! :D

vmn2 and Bounty,

Got a yearbook? Page 256. Man are you slow vmn2. You were never that slow when we studied cell bio. Must be that cali lifestyle rotting your brain. Bounty, you apply to duke? I got rejected by those bastards a couple weeks ago, and then the next day got asked to donate to the annual fund. If I were them I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the check.

Was that sad last night or what? They had a great season considering they're mostly freshman, but it still sucks to bow out in the sweet 16 yet again. Felt bad for Redick because normally that kid's got ice in his veins. Just wasn't his night I guess. Next year will be special though. Now I'll cheer for the women with All-Star. Man those girls can push the ball up the court. Reminds me of the men in '99 and '01. It's a fun style to watch. GO DUKE!