Doomsday senario...PTAs and PTs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

puppypaws

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I'm a junior in college and was hoping to go into PT, but after talking to one of my professors (who's an MD) and doing some research, I'm not too sure anymore.
I read and was told that PTs would be replaced by PTAs in the future to try to cut down on costs. So PTs would be primarily diagnosing, but wouldn't be working too much with the patients through exercises. Working one on one with patients was the main reason PT really appealed to me. I'm not too into diagnosing, especially if that's all I'd be doing at a PT.
Does anyone have any insight into this, anything to add, or similar concerns?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

With a lot of schools looking into transitioning their programs to DPT I can't see how that would happen so much. Hopefully it is nothing to worry about right now as we look into PT school. I would rather get my DPT and start practice instead of letting this reason deter me from trying to be a PT. Hopefully something like this doesn't happen, but personally I don't see that becoming a major issue.

Ive been hearing this from people as well. But like adh stated, if you want to be a PT, go and be a PT, dont let these "what if" scenarios stop you. I know of some places that dont hire PTA's and some that hire more PTAs than PTs. One thing is for sure is that physical therapy will always be needed

Members don't see this ad :)
I have also been gathering information on this, sometimes hearing less than desirable things... However, I did talk to a PT who is a family friend and she told me that she would be more concerned with those going to PT school in about 10-20 years... That I would have more than enough work for me and if things don't shape up it'll be the kids going to school when I'm nearing retirement that'll be trouble.

What ifs are everywhere... nothing is 100%. You've just got to get as many opinions from those that you trust and make a good decision for YOU.

Thanks for the replies guys, that makes me feel better.
I was also thinking today, on the up side, now that PT is a doctorate degree it can't really can't fall down too low. Even if the salaries go down, they can probably go only so far or no one would enter into PT programs since they require a good bit of money to go into.

Thanks for the replies guys, that makes me feel better.
I was also thinking today, on the up side, now that PT is a doctorate degree it can't really can't fall down too low. Even if the salaries go down, they can probably go only so far or no one would enter into PT programs since they require a good bit of money to go into.

Take another perspective, many M.D.s could similarly be replaced by PAs, but they won't. In all of the outpatient centers I observed and shadowed at here in Houston, there were NO PTAs or techs or aides. I asked them as to why, the PTs said they did not like having any PTAs or techs, citing numerous reasons, such as going out of their scope of practice or inability to perform the tasks at the caliber of a PT (patient feedback). This is what they said, not me.

However, at the hospitals I shadowed at, there were a LOT of PTAs, techs/aides. In one, there were probably only 3 PTs (the rehab director and two staff PTs), but there were at least twice the number of PTAs and aides/techs combined. This is because they lack PTs and had to hire more PTAs and aides/techs to compensate. The PT I shadowed had a PTA with her all the time, helping her treat patients, move them, etc.

Don't be worried about PTs being replaced by PTAs. The market and demand for PTs is quite large, but it's not being filled up as quickly as it should. That's where PTAs come in.

I have also been gathering information on this, sometimes hearing less than desirable things... However, I did talk to a PT who is a family friend and she told me that she would be more concerned with those going to PT school in about 10-20 years... That I would have more than enough work for me and if things don't shape up it'll be the kids going to school when I'm nearing retirement that'll be trouble.

This is good to know. As a non-traditional whose age begins with the number 3, all I need is about 15 years worth of work. ;)