Dopper effect

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doomknight

Bing
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the velocity of sound change? I know pitch/frequency/wavelength changes.

Members don't see this ad.

Does the velocity of sound change? I know pitch/frequency/wavelength changes.

no, i dont believe the velocity changes in doppler effect calculations unless the sound is transferred to another medium or something

Members don't see this ad :)
nm, I don't think I understand this well enough to make such generalizations. see below.

velocity is a property of the medium

absolute velocity is, yes. But when you walk toward a wave moving at the speed of sound, isn't the observed velocity increased? That is the basis for the Doppler equation, I think.

Well the velocity doesn't change. The fact that the doppler effect is concerned with a relative velocity doesn't change the fact that velocity itself is a property of the medium =)

If I remember correctly, there is a question from aamc8 asking about this. And the answer is velocity does not change.

absolute velocity is, yes. But when you walk toward a wave moving at the speed of sound, isn't the observed velocity increased? That is the basis for the Doppler equation, I think.

yea, the relative velocity of the sound wave will be changed if you (the detector) are moving too. so if you are moving at 170m/s in the same direction as the wave which moves at 340m/s, it will be moving 170m/s relative to you. this is the doppler effect.

Well the velocity doesn't change. The fact that the doppler effect is concerned with a relative velocity doesn't change the fact that velocity itself is a property of the medium =)

agreed.