Doppler effect related questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loreben

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I came across a fact and application question in the doppler effect section of my textbook and i could not comprehend the reasoning behind these fact and application question individually. As a result i was hoping anyone could help me better understand by explaining in depth the reasoning behind these respective fact and application question. Thanks, cheers:)

1. FACT
The sound from a source approaching at constant speed will increase in intensity, but the observed (elevated) frequency will remain unchanged. The doppler effect doesn't depend on distance.

2. APPLICATION QUESTION

Suppose you are on a hot ballon ride, carrying a buzzer that emits a sound of frequency F. If you accidentally drop the buzzer over the side while the ballon is rising at constant speed. what can you conclude about the sound you hear as the buzzer falls toward the ground?

a) The frequency and intensity increases

b) The frequency increases and the intensity increases

c) The frequency decreases and the intensity decreases

d) The frequency remains the same, but the intensity decreases

Members don't see this ad.

As the buzzer falls, i believe the intensity will decrease. I'm thinking the intensity should decrease too because the source and observer are moving away from each other?

I hope someone else chimes in because i just studied this today and my brain got fried at some point.