Dorland's (is it worth buying?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maxim728

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, i have recently been accepted into medical school and was wondering if i should buy both the "dorland' pocket medical dictionary" and the medical illustrations book by Dorland (the $45 one). Are they both great to buy or i do not need until residency? Thanks
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by maxim728:
•Hi everyone, i have recently been accepted into medical school and was wondering if i should buy both the "dorland' pocket medical dictionary" and the medical illustrations book by Dorland (the $45 one). Are they both great to buy or i do not need until residency? Thanks
:) •••

Howdy!

Congratulations on the acceptance! Isn't that a great feeling?

As for the Dorland's, I'd buy the big (decidedly non-pocket) dictionary. It has a fair number of illustrations and is an outstanding dictionary. You'll use it every day starting your first day of first year (at least I did). I also have a Steadman's Concise (free for joining AMA student section) for a pocket dictionary and am about to buy one for my Palm as well.

Besides Netter's (for gross), a good dictionary will be your best friend.

Take care and good luck!
Jeff
MS-I, UTMB

thanks jeff, that was very helpful. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, I agree. I have the BIG Dorland's and I think it is great! :D

Consider Stedmanns also. I like it a little more than Dorlands.. (Don't ask me why I have both.) I don't remember which was cheaper though. also, Stedmanns comes with a CD ROM version...Maybe Dorlands does also but I didn't get it with mine.
Congrats!! By the way.
bb

maxim728

Congrats on your acceptance. I have to agree with bustinbooty...Steadman's is a great dictionary, and is my dictionary of choice. However, either Dorlands or Steadman's will be fine. Netter's Anatomy Atlas is invaluable, though, depending on the amount of anatomy you might want to think about getting a second atlas just for some differences in perspective, but wait on that until you start classes. Enjoy what free-time you have now.

Sweaty

Thanks bustin booty and sweatypaul. :)