DOs and AMA/AOA/ACGME General Surgery Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Plinko

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This issue may have been discussed elsewhere on this forum, but I could not find it after doing a search. If it has, I would appreciate a link to it. With that said, I would like a little input about the problems DO students encounter in obtaining a surgical residency (vascular, CTS, and general). I have asked many people at my school (TCOM) and very few seem to be informed. We are such a primary care oriented school, so finding information about the ins and outs of getting a surgery slot is hard to come by.

I am half way through my third year and I have surgery as my last rotation (in May and June). Additionally, I have what we at TCOM call a "max" in surgery, which means I can choose to arrange my rotation location on my own wherever I want. I would really like to know more about what I should be doing in preparation for filling out applications come next Fall. A little bit of background: COMLEX 1 score was just average (pretty much right atop the bell curve); class rank the same; performed pretty well on clinical rotations thus far. I have not taken USMLE Step 1 yet because I was unsure as to whether or not it was needed. I plan on taking USMLE Step 2. Based on match results from my school (TCOM keeps tabs on students' class rank, COMLEX scores, etc. and where students go for residency, and then makes them available to current students), I am confident I can obtain an AOA general surgery residency. However, I am completely in the dark about whether or not I should try for ACGME or AMA surgical residencies, take the USMLE Step 1, etc. Lastly, while I hear consistently that surgery is a very competitive field to get into, I also hear that many surgical sites go unfilled. I am unable to resolve this apparent contradiction.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I am pretty much 95% sure if you do an AOA residency, you may do a ACGME fellowship but you may not sit for the boards....

EMT_DO said:
I am pretty much 95% sure if you do an AOA residency, you may do a ACGME fellowship but you may not sit for the boards....

That is what my understanding has been as well. I have heard that you can do the fellowship, get the training and experience, and then petition the AOA and they will allow you to sit for the AOA boards in CT, Vascular, etc. and become board certified.