1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

DOs and Ortho surgery....

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by spyyder31, Nov 28, 2001.

1. spyyder31

spyyder31 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I have been noticing that there are quite a few Osteopaths that are Orthopedic surgeons. Is this a relatively common path for DOs to go? Are the surgical ranks seeing more DOs now a days?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Where do you notice this? This is probably more a fluke than a trend. There are relatively few ortho spots in DO programs to go around, and the number of DOs in allopathic ortho programs is not expected to rise anytime soon. With the growing unpopularity of general surgery programs, however, I wonder if the number of DOs in allopathic gen surg programs will rise.

4. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    The last two episodes of Trauma-Life in the ER has featured DOs in both emergency medicine and ortho sx. One episode was UNLV and the other was Baylor if I'm not mistaken. DOs are a nice fit into many ortho programs. I think program directors are attracted to their OMM capabilities, which separates them from the rest (assuming they have equally competitive board scores). I feel that DOs are becoming more prominent and recognizable within major medical centers and residency programs. That's my opinion.

5. drewdo

drewdo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

One of our ortho professors is a local practicing DO. His name is Dr. Orth.

6. drusso

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It's increasingly common for DO's to match into ortho. I know two from my class who matched last year (1 in an AOA program; the other in an AMA program). I think that it's still relatively uncommon to find DO's in top university ortho programs---although I met trauma ortho surg fellow while I was doing a PM&R rotation at Baylor. Ortho is tough match for anyone.

7. spyyder31

spyyder31 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I have been in contact with people in DO physicians as well as a few students. I noticed that in conversation about other students and things that students "should" go into that ortho comes up a lot.

8. Freeeedom!

Freeeedom! Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

UNLV doesn't have a DO residency for EM...but some programs send their residents to University hospital in Las Vegas for trauma for a month or two.
    As for ortho, there are perhaps 27(?) DO programs with very limited spots. Nothing like allopathic programs...but they do ALWAYS fill.

9. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Freedom,

Who said anything about DO residents at UNLV? I didn't. I was saying that all the ER docs on the show were DOs. I looked them up on AMA. Even an ER doc and an orthopedic surgeon were DO's from Baylor University SOM were featured on another show. I hope I didn't confuse anyone with my first post. I was merely saying the were on the show...not necessarily in a particular residency program. I have no idea if there is a EM residency at UNLV or not. All I know is that they are on the come up because OMM is an attractive feature to some residency program directors.