DO's and Rad Onc: can they mix?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aerial

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before but I wanted to hear some fresh opinions.

I recently learned what an incredibly exciting and challenging field Rad Onc is and how it just may be the right one for me. One problem (or is it not?): I'm a DO student. I am in my second year so I guess I have time to recoup whatever losses that may bring by doing research and getting to know people. But that leads to two more problems: who's would be willing to talk to me and where am I supposed to find these people if my school has no affiliations to any Rad Onc programs?

Just to make things even more interesting, this is an incredibly difficult residency to get into (sorry for stating the obvious). I'll be taking my boards this summer and intend on doing well. Although I have done well in my classes, most DO students aren't well known for their standardized test taking abilities-- and it worries me that Step 1 is used as a cutoff at many programs, especially the stronger ones.

Knowing that something I'm really interested in might be off limits is very upsetting. What are some of the challenges I'll be facing? Appreciate your honesty and thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

aerial said:
I'm sure this has been asked before but I wanted to hear some fresh opinions.

I recently learned what an incredibly exciting and challenging field Rad Onc is and how it just may be the right one for me. One problem (or is it not?): I'm a DO. (Well, I'm going to be a DO.) I am in my second year so I guess I have time to recoup whatever losses that may bring by doing research and getting to know people. But that leads to two more problems: who's going to want to talk to me and where am I supposed to find these people if my school has no affiliations to any Rad Onc programs?

Just to make things even more interesting, this is an incredibly difficult residency to get into (sorry for stating the obvious). I'll be taking my boards this summer and intend on doing well. Although I have done well in my classes, most DO students aren't well known for their standardized test taking abilities-- and it worries me that Step 1 is used as a cutoff at many programs, especially the stronger ones.

Knowing that something I'm really interested in might be off limits is very upsetting. What are some of the challenges I'll be facing? Appreciate your honesty and thoughts.

It is very difficult for DOs, although not impossible (this was addressed in prior threads). You certainly have to be nearly perfect in every area (research in radonc w/ pubs, perfect USMLE Step I score, good grades) since you are also competing with allopathic grads with nearly the same eligibility, not counting the numerous MD/PhDs that have been so popular in radonc lately.

To get research, you would need to go outside of your school and work with someone with a name. Do research during the summer months and anytime you have the time, say between your 2nd and 3rd yr and maybe some at the end of 3rd yr and mix in some clinical experience. Show motivation and drive, and get a name that will back you up with a glowing recommendation.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you RadOncFever and stephew (my newly adopted mentors-- with your permission, of course) for your replies. I really appreciated them, especially since I personally don't know anyone who is knowledgeable about Rad Onc (let alone a DO in Rad Onc). It's encouraging to know that with hard work it can be done. My next step is to follow your advice and contact some folks in a research arena I've been looking into-- I'll tell you how it works out.

I'm positive that there are DO's floating around on this site. Have any of you interviewed for residencies? Can you describe your journey towards this goal? Where did you set up your fourth year electives? This information would be of great help, not only for me but for other DO's who wish to break into this fantastic field.

And for you allopaths, feel free to join in....

I am starting USC this summer as a DO, so at least one was accepted last year. I met several other residents while interviewing that were from DO programs.

Here's a current list of places where DO's are training:

Fox Chase Cancer Ctr, Philadelphia, PA
Univ of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, IA
Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL
Wayne State University/Detroit Medical Center, Detroit, MI
Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA
Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI
Univ of Washington Med Cntr, Seattle, WA
Eastern Virginia Graduate School of Med, Norfolk, VA

I'd start finding mentors here...

aerial said:
Thank you RadOncFever and stephew (my newly adopted mentors-- with your permission, of course) for your replies. I really appreciated them, especially since I personally don't know anyone who is knowledgeable about Rad Onc (let alone a DO in Rad Onc). It's encouraging to know that with hard work it can be done. My next step is to follow your advice and contact some folks in a research arena I've been looking into-- I'll tell you how it works out.

I'm positive that there are DO's floating around on this site. Have any of you interviewed for residencies? Can you describe your journey towards this goal? Where did you set up your fourth year electives? This information would be of great help, not only for me but for other DO's who wish to break into this fantastic field.

And for you allopaths, feel free to join in....

Hi Aerial,
I'm a DO student applying for rad-onc this year. While I have been made acutely aware of how much harder it is for a DO to make the interview cut, once at the interview, most programs have been wonderul and the osteopathic education issue has never come up. If I had to give you advice (and take it with a grain of salt since I haven't matched yet and don't know if I will), don't sell yourself short. Do the best possible rotations that you can and work your butt off. I rotated at 3 of the top programs and got letters from all of them. Be visible, read up on pertinent issues, and just be someone that the faculty and residents would want to be around for the next few years.
Also, I thought it was interesting that of the programs mentioned on this site that have DO residents, I received interviews from only 3 of them. However, I did receive interviews from many others that didn't ever have a DO on staff. What I'm trying to say is apply far and wide since this is a really competitive field for all candidates, regardless of the letters behind their name. I have met many wonderful people on the interview and rotation trail and would be honored to work with any one of them. Lemme know if you have any specific questions...I'll post on match day if and when I do match :thumbup:
Good luck to you and to all who have visited this board and have offered advice or shared experiences...only a month and half left...