DO's and Reconstructive/Plastic Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adismo

covered in moon dust
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Some quick questions for the experts out there.

1. How does an ost med student go about finding a plastic surgery residency? Is it especially competitive?

2. Is a residency in gen surg a prerequisite, and if yes how many years?

3. How does the plastic surg field view DO applicants? Is there a bias against DO's?

Im thinking about going into this field. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by adismo:
Hi there,

Some quick questions for the experts out there.

1. How does an ost med student go about finding a plastic surgery residency? Is it especially competitive?

There are 3 DO Plastic Surgery residencies listed on the AOA web site: http://www.aoa-net.org/PostDoc/ppn.htm

The number of MD Plastic Surgery residencies far exceeds this: http://www.ama-assn.org/freida

While I cannot comment on the competitiveness of the DO residencies, the allopathic Plastic Surgery residencies which are among the most competitive - especially those which match at PGY1.

2. Is a residency in gen surg a prerequisite, and if yes how many years?

There are two models of training in Plastic Surgery:

1) the traditional, independent model which requires at least 3 years of General Surgery training or a full Orthopedics residency before entering. Most successful applicants have fully completed the 5 years of General Surgery before being accepted into either a 2-3 year Plastic Surgery residency. There are further fellowships (ie, hand, craniofacial) available beyond basic plastics training.

2) the newer, integrated model which matches (at least for allopathic programs) at PGY1. Students spend the first 3-4 years largely on the Gen Surg/Surg speciality services, with varying rotations on Plastics. The final 2-3 years are solely on Plastics. You might hear these programs referred to as 3+3, 3+2 or 4+2 (depending on number of years spent doing General and Plastics).

The training might be different in the DO programs. I urge you to look at the AOA site for detailed information on the programs available. In addition, take a look at the requirements for BC in Plastics (contained in the Green Book) to make sure that your prerequisite surgical training meets the board's requirements.

3. How does the plastic surg field view DO applicants? Is there a bias against DO's?

I am not aware of any institutionalized or personal bias against DOs in the field, and am aware of several DOs practicing as Plastic Surgeons. I have yet to meet any DO students on the Plastic Surgery interview trail (although have meet 1 or 2 in General Surgery interviews) - however, I'm not sure this is a function of any bias but rather than small group which is applying for Plastics - you tend to see the same faces at the interviews. I'm sure the DO students are better placed to speak about any bias than I.

Im thinking about going into this field. Thanks in advance.

Future Surgeon and I have listed some links in response to a question about the field on the "Rotations and Residencies" forum. Take a gander there for more information.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

[This message has been edited by kimberlicox (edited 01-19-2001).]