DO's and residency programs in San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eilat87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello how are you doing. i was just wondering, typically how receptive are residency programs of DOs there? Would i have to 'audition' there for clinical rotations? when i look at matchlists, for the most part, residencies that people attend often are near the medical school that they attended, so i'm just concerned about the flexibility of being able to obtain a residency far from where i intend to go to medical school. I really want to practice there in the future so its pretty important to me. (I'm not planning to attend either western or touro CA, i will most likely end up in NYCOM, if that counts for anything) thanks guys in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have heard that they are pretty receptive to smart candidates out there, regardless of their degree. It also would depend on the specialty a bit. I know a few DO's who did their residencies out there (Anesthesia), so it is doable. Work your butt off, destroy the COMLEX and USMLE, and do an audition rotation.

I hear the plan is to make all CA residencies DO only.

Members don't see this ad :)
hello how are you doing. i was just wondering, typically how receptive are residency programs of DOs there? Would i have to 'audition' there for clinical rotations? when i look at matchlists, for the most part, residencies that people attend often are near the medical school that they attended, so i'm just concerned about the flexibility of being able to obtain a residency far from where i intend to go to medical school. I really want to practice there in the future so its pretty important to me. (I'm not planning to attend either western or touro CA, i will most likely end up in NYCOM, if that counts for anything) thanks guys in advance!

DO + SF = a difficult equation.

Not impossible by any means, especially internal. But you have your work cut out for you, big time.

Kaiser takes a few each year, so does St Mary's. But we're talking 5 DO's are residents in SF each year, out of 100's of total spots in all specialties.

Sf is a highly desirable place to live, that makes all the hospitals competitive.

bth

I took a quick scan of the current residents at kaiser perm SF and it appears that 4-5 of their residents (total of about 30 residents) are carribbean medical graduates and a bunch of them were FOREIGN medical graduates specifically from CHina, my question is.. (i dont wannt put down FMGs or Carribean graduates) but if they can get into the program, DO's definitely can right?

link is here: http://residency.kp.org/ncal/residency_programs/internal_medicine/san_francisco/residents.html

I took a quick scan of the current residents at kaiser perm SF and it appears that 4-5 of their residents (total of about 30 residents) are carribbean medical graduates and a bunch of them were FOREIGN medical graduates specifically from CHina, my question is.. (i dont wannt put down FMGs or Carribean graduates) but if they can get into the program, DO's definitely can right?

link is here: http://residency.kp.org/ncal/residency_programs/internal_medicine/san_francisco/residents.html

Last I checked, Western University of Health Sciences was a DO school (listed under one of the R3s)

yeah, i did catch that one but i just thought since there was only 1, then maybe chances are slimmer for us DO-ers

For the ones from China-those schools are where competition is way higher than anything in the USA. (Larger population, fewer spots, more cutthroat competition) It's their versions of our ivy leagues.

california is not very DO friendly. there are 5 carribean grads and 1 DO grad in that program.

excellent. just what i need. all im looking for is to be in the area. doesnt have to be EXACTLY in SF, i dont mind commuting!

excellent. just what i need. all im looking for is to be in the area. doesnt have to be EXACTLY in SF, i dont mind commuting!

Oakland is about a 30 minute drive from SF (when traffic is being cooperative), so I'd say it's pretty close! :) I'm really interested in going back to CA for my residency too, especially SF. At first I was looking into perhaps going to UCSF but I realize now that it's probably not a viable option as a DO student :(

When did they move Oakland out of CA?

look, man, I lived in Oakland for a year. It's not the most desirable place to live depends on where you are, but it is true that it's 30 min away from SF due to the bart.

look, man, I lived in Oakland for a year. It's not the most desirable place to live depends on where you are, but it is true that it's 30 min away from SF due to the bart.

I'm quite familiar with the area.