Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

DOs and the Job Market

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Maran, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Maran

Maran Member

Most of what I've been reading on this thread has to do with concerns about getting in to various residency programs. I actually have questions about before and after residency.

First: What kind of clinical rotations do osteopathic med students do?

And more importantly:
    Have you experienced difficulty finding the kinds of professional opportunities you want after you finish school/residency? Do you find much bias against DOs? What forms does it take? How do you deal with it/work around it?

Thanks,

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Neurogirl

Neurogirl Resident Extraordinaire

1. Osteopathic med students take the same clinical rotations as allopathic med students. The only difference is that during the first two years of school, osteopathic students must also take courses in manual medicine.

2. I'm just a resident so I don't have any first hand experience, but I haven't heard of anyone having difficulties finding good professional opportunities after residency. All the people I know have gotten multiple employment offers. Also, I know both DOs and MDs and haven't seen any differences in either the number of offers, or compensation packages they're getting.

3. I have occasionally experienced ignorance (which quickly evaporates as soon as they have a chance to work with me), but no real bias. When it comes to employment opportunities, I'm sure there are groups that don't have experience with DOs and don't want to hire them, but then I guess you'd never hear from them in the first place. Also, there are some areas of the country (west coast) that don't have many DOs, while other areas (midwest) have an abundance and have long been "integrated".

When all is said and done, I think the majority of employers are most concerned with the quality of post grad training a person has received (hence, the overwhelming concern about obtaining a quality residency). That's the main reason most DOs choose allopathic residencies. Some think we're "selling out", but for the majority of people, that's just not the case. We just want the best training we can get. I know several people who chose DO school over MD school because the DO school was the best fit for them. However, post grad training is an entirely different matter and most will strive to obtain the best (most highly regarded) residency they can get. Unfortunately, that usually means going allopathic. There are some excellant osteopathic residencies, but they are few and far between. :(

Hope this info helps.

Neurogirl DO, MPH :D