DOs Applying to IM 2018-19

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ya I agree with the above.236/254 stats and have only received 80% community and 20% univ. with a total of around 10 interviews. At first I thought maybe I may have applied top heavy but then I realized it's more the DO part that's hindering my app.

You guys think anything we can do at this point?
Nope, just wait n pray....Or I can meet yall in Wyoming, I'm sure they'll take us there ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Nope, just wait n pray....Or I can meet yall in Wyoming, I'm sure they'll take us there ;)

Might be wishful thinking, but it’s my impression a lot of these programs will send out additional invites as folks cancel, etc it’s only 10/11 after all. And looking at previous years plenty of DO’s got into these solid mid tier places somehow, and I’m assuming it that’s how.

I’ve been told to expect interviews to continue to roll in through December. I think as the top programs start sending out invites, the all star candidates will cancel their mid tiers which will then flow down to us.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve been told to expect interviews to continue to roll in through December. I think as the top programs start sending out invites, the all star candidates will cancel their mid tiers which will then flow down to us.
Ya I hope so! Trickle down economics haha

On another note, if we were to get mid tier univ programs, should we still be going to some safety community programs for interviews? That way we can rank a good mix of univ and safety community programs to maximize our chance of actually matching?

On another note, if we were to get mid tier univ programs, should we still be going to some safety community programs for interviews? That way we can rank a good mix of univ and safety community programs to maximize our chance of actually matching?
Yes, you want to have some safety places to rank....that happens all the time...people get enamored with the big places and then don’t end up matching.

Might be wishful thinking, but it’s my impression a lot of these programs will send out additional invites as folks cancel, etc it’s only 10/11 after all. And looking at previous years plenty of DO’s got into these solid mid tier places somehow, and I’m assuming it that’s how.
You’re absolutely right, early in cycle noone cancels, but later on some competitive MD would receive enough top tier invites and they will cancel some of their mid tier iv, hang in the bro

Got a lot more IV's this past week from the Univ places that do tend to have a few DO's. Definitely feel like we'll get in on the trickle as people cancel, now that Ive gotten some of the better ones. Also interviewed at a mid-tier place with a few DO's and while one interviewer did ask about the DO clinical experience regarding the stereotype of more "preceptor based" rotations, there was never any mention of osteopathy. YMMV.

Reactions: 4 users
I got average stats and applied to mixture of 40 communities and universities programs, got around 16 interviews (5-6 mid tier universities, rest were competitive to safety community programs), matched my #2, it's not about the number of programs, it's where you are applying to. You can easily avoid SOAP without spending a fortune.
PS: some community programs also have great fellowship placement and at much better locations than many mid tier universities.

Reactions: 3 users
I got average stats and applied to mixture of 40 communities and universities programs, got around 16 interviews (5-6 mid tier universities, rest were competitive to safety community programs), matched my #2, it's not about the number of programs, it's where you are applying to. You can easily avoid SOAP without spending a fortune.
PS: some community programs also have great fellowship placement and at much better locations than many mid tier universities.

That last point can't be stressed enough. I'm interviewing at around 15 +/- 2 places and have canceled a few mediocre university spots for community shops with better fellowship placement. I have around 9-10 university with the rest being strong affiliated programs or community.

Take a look at the fellowship placement for community shops before ruling them out.

Reactions: 2 users
That last point can't be stressed enough. I'm interviewing at around 15 +/- 2 places and have canceled a few mediocre university spots for community shops with better fellowship placement. I have around 9-10 university with the rest being strong affiliated programs or community.

Take a look at the fellowship placement for community shops before ruling them out.

Einstein Philly is one that just blows me away. Their match list is better than most mid-tier university programs.

Is this where we should share results of our matches for future DOs applying IM?

Not sure but I’m interested in where you ended up at. Been following your posts for a bit. Was rooting for you! :)
Well thanks!
My step scores weren't great, but I was able to pull some visiting rotations that translated into interviews. I ended up applying to 37 programs total, the vast majority of which were in Texas. I ended up with 10 total invites, went on 9: 7 in-state, 2 out-of-state. I'll list my stats, etc below in a similar fashion from the other threads:

School: Non-top 5-ish or state DO school
Step/Level Scores: 214/217; 566/517
Grades: all A/B, if that even matters
Interview Invites: Texas Tech-Amarillo, HCA Corpus Christi, Med City Weatherford, BS&W-Round Rock, UTHSC/Good Shepherd-Longview, UTMB, UT Austin/Dell, UConn-New Britain, U S Carolina-Palmetto, Texas Tech-El Paso
Matched: UT-Austin/Dell (my #1)

Not sure that I have much advice other than apply where it makes sense for your application, location- and mission-wise. Especially if you're punching up like I was. I had some very unique things about my application that made me a fit with my top program. Also, don't underestimate the power of a visiting rotation. At least 3 of my interviews were a direct result of my aways.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well thanks!
My step scores weren't great, but I was able to pull some visiting rotations that translated into interviews. I ended up applying to 37 programs total, the vast majority of which were in Texas. I ended up with 10 total invites, went on 9: 7 in-state, 2 out-of-state. I'll list my stats, etc below in a similar fashion from the other threads:

Interview Invites: Texas Tech-Amarillo, HCA Corpus Christi, Med City Weatherford, BS&W-Round Rock, UTHSC/Good Shepherd-Longview, UTMB, UT Austin/Dell, UConn-New Britain, U S Carolina-Palmetto, Texas Tech-El Paso

Not sure that I have much advice other than apply where it makes sense for your application, location- and mission-wise. Especially if you're punching up like I was. I had some very unique things about my application that made me a fit with my top program. Also, don't underestimate the power of a visiting rotation. At least 3 of my interviews were a direct result of my aways.
Where did you do aways? Thanks for sharing your experience!

Well thanks!

Congrats man!

How did people end up doing?
I'm hoping to match IM anywhere but not feeling good about my situation.
Low COMLEX 1, no Step 1, currently planning to take Step 2 end of summer.

For those that took Step 2, when did you take it/have scores in by/ready for apps? I feel like I could even get away with taking Step 2 a little later like Aug/Sept but then that would be during rotation time.

For those that took Step 2, when did you take it/have scores in by/ready for apps? I feel like I could even get away with taking Step 2 a little later like Aug/Sept but then that would be during rotation time.

DO with 23x/24x, >600 COMLEX 1/2. Interviewed at mostly university hospitals, matched at my #1.

Low COMLEX means something different for everybody. >500, you'll definitely match, 450-500, you'll match community, <450, apply broadly and cross your fingers. If your evaluations are truly stellar, you'll need to do an away to prove yourself. Don't take Step 2 unless you can get over a 230. I took Step 2 in July and it was ready by Sep 15th.

Don't take Step 2 unless you can get over a 230. I took Step 2 in July and it was ready by Sep 15th.

Depends on what you’re looking for. The more competitive your career aspirations, the more dependent that is on crushing step 2. The average is in the 242-244 range, so even a 23x is far below 50th percentile. Based off the 2016/2017 data, a 239 is 43rd percentile and a 230 is 24th percentile.

Keep in mind that local programs will be more lenient for you, especially community and uni-affiliates.

Edit: looked at my score report, data for last year makes the percentiles 42 and 22 respectively.

Thanks! Not interested in further specializing, and at this point happy with matching anywhere, no geographic preferences. Looks like my goal is 24x-25x.

Obviously the higher the better, but you'd be surprised with what even a slightly below avg score can get you. That being said, I would focus more on doing well on COMLEX.

Thanks! Not interested in further specializing, and at this point happy with matching anywhere, no geographic preferences. Looks like my goal is 24x-25x.
I guess I don’t understand. You’re saying you’re happy to match anywhere, but also talking about taking Step 2. Matching anywhere definitely does not require taking step 2, and it’s not like that’s a low risk proposition.

Well I'm happy with matching anywhere but still taking Step 2 because that will at least open up some doors and give me a greater chance at interviewing/matching somewhere.

Are there any good academic/university hospital IM programs that are friendly to DO's? I figured academic programs will open more opportunities for fellowships.

Scour match lists. Those places.
Exactly. There are plenty of them.

Either find a region you're interested in then look at the lists of residents at all the programs in that area, or look at DO school Match lists and see where they went.

Or you can use the grandma rule. Make a list of all the university hospitals you've heard of, then ask your grandma to cross out the ones she's heard of. The ones still standing are your target programs.