1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

DO's as Neonatologists or Ped. Intensivists

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Fred Durst, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Fred Durst

Fred Durst Member
    7+ Year Member

Anybody know how difficult it is for a DO to get one of these fellowships. So far I have only applied to MD schools but with a 3.4 and MCAT 28 I am not sure if I will get in. I would also apply to DO schools if these fellowships are available. Any help is appreciated.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Sheerstress

Sheerstress Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fred:

I don't know how difficult it is for a DO to get a pediatric intensivist fellowship, but I do know that one of the PICU docs where I used to work was an osteopathic physician (it was at Michigan State University's Kalamazoo Center for Medical Studies), so it can't be too difficult. Hope that helps.

4. hosskp1

hosskp1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I am third year med student and I know of atleast 2 DO Neonatologists and 1 ped intensivist. I do not think it is that hard, you need to do a Peds residency first and then head in the fellowship direction. I think it comes down to interest and less down to competition-- if you want to do something really bad, you will work to get. With these two specialties, you should be fine-- if you can handle the 6 years or so of post graduate training. I do not know anything more about it-- I am interested in surgery and I know many DO surgeons in all fields of surgery including trauma, vascular, ortho and Neurosurgery. the bottom line is today-- the DO should not and will not stop you unless you let it. They are looking for a good candidate-- not an MD or a DO. Do well in residency and see what happens.

5. Curt

Curt Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Don't worry! You shouldn't have any problem being accepted into a quality fellowship as long as you do well as a resident. We have a DO who has been accepted into a neo fellowship for next year.