SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

DO's for Ortho

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Shark, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Shark

Shark Member 7+ Year Member

Feb 26, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Hello, I am an Osteopathic student interested in Orthopaedic Surgery. Are there any Allopathic programs that seriously consider DO students for Ortho spots? Can you offer any advice?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. jimjones

jimjones Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2001
    I would think that if you are set on ortho you would have to focus on osteo residencies. My understanding is if you apply to the osteo match, and the allo match, and you match in the osteo (which occurs first) then you are automatically withdrawn from the allo. So its one or the other, and I wouldn't hold my breath for a allo ortho spot as a DO. I could be wrong though?

4. Texas_Sam

Texas_Sam Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 16, 2000
    NYC, NY
    I spoke with a DO DME of Orthopedic Surgery just the other day about this topic. He noted that although he works with many allopathic ortho's, there is still a strong feeling that osteo ortho's should stay on their side of the fence. There just aren't enough slots in allo ortho for all the allo's let alone additional ortho's.

Second, you can only go through one match process. You will not be considered for allo's if you go osteo. The deletion occurs before the match ever runs.