DOs in academic medicine

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by shep, May 29, 2001.

1. shep

shep Junior Member

I will be starting in the AZCOM DO program this year. I have previously worked at a medical school as a molecular biologist and enjoy the academic side of medicine. I do not know any DOs who have followed the academic track and actively do research as well as teach. I'm sure it can be done though. I'm wondering if there is a different process for a DO to pursue a research/medical career or if they can apply for a fellowship with the NIH as an MD would.
    I have not found a lot of information regarding this and am curious as to why. Thank you in advance for your response(s).

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    While I am not a DO and know very few of them, I am pretty sure that at least some of your future faculty at AZCOM will be academic physicians.

Most physicians in a community practice, whether osteopathic or allopathic, do not actively engage in research. This is usually the arena of those employed by university medical centers.

Although many osteopathic medical schools have a primary care mission, this does not prevent you from pursuing a research or academic career. One caveat I have heard is that it is unlikely for a DO to be Chief of an allopathic program, and vice versa.

ACGME fellowships as well as research projects with the NIH or other institutions are open to osteopathic as well as allopathic physicians. IMHO the difficulty in getting these depends more on your residency training than your medical degree.

I'm sure some of the DO students around here can contribute more to the conversation than I, but I am fairly sure that the DO degree will allow you do most anything you want (all else being equal).

Best of luck!

4. stuDOc

stuDOc Member

R-01 and R-03 NIH grants for research funding are open to all graduate academicians. This is, of course, not limited to M.D.'s and Ph.D.'s. Several sources have told me that the NIH looks forward to recieving more grant proposals from osteopathic physicians epecially for research in the basic sciences. As DO's, MD's and PhD's, we go after the funds just like everyone else. No matter how you slice it, when you're asking for money it's gonna be competetive. As for DO's in the top allopathic spots, I know of several. The Chief of Toxicology at Children's Mercy Hospital (a UMKC affiliate) is a DO, several department heads at the Mayo clinic are DOs, the Chief of transplant medicine at St. Luke's (another UMKC affiliate) is a DO...the list goes on and on. The opportunities are there, we just need more DOs to fill the vacancies.

5. shep

shep Junior Member

Thanks for the input. It sounds like I can pursue the career I want without a problem. I just have not heard of any DOs that have applied for R-01 grants or other big research grants. I was making an assumption and I just wanted to make sure it was valid. Thank you all.

6. prolixless

prolixless Senior Member

This may be slightly off topic and tone, but I hope that most of DO students who desire to pursue reasearch and academic medicine will pursure those areas specifically directed toward osteopathic manipulative treatment and whatever other osteopathic practices come from the osteopathic philosophy. DO's need a strong justification that differentiates them from the MD community and strong empirical evidence regarding the benefits of OMT would definitely do this.