DOs in business

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

El Curandero

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm an applicant who just got accepted into DO school. I was wondering if I wanted to get into healthcare consulting and then go into biotech/healthcare VC after three years of consulting would being a DO over an MD hurt? I know that DOs are basically on even feet when it comes to clinical medicine but I haven't heard of any DOs going into business.

Oh, and if it matters I got accepted into what is regarded as the most "prestigious" osteopathic medical school for what it's worth.

El Curandero

Members don't see this ad.

I previously worked at two giant pharma companies (Pfizer and J&J) and there is a huge bias against DOs. That said, I'm a DO student now. I don't think going into health care consulting will be an issue (you can do that without a medical degree). And, most VCs don't hold medical degrees either. That said, if you are looking for medical director and other medically related positions in pharma, you'll face discrimination (not to say that it can't be done, just harder... like most things with a DO).

And, hate to break it to you, there is no such things as a prestigious DO school. There are only those that are established (ATSU-KCOM, PCOM, MSUCOM etc.) and those that are not (Campbell, LUCOM, BCOM etc.).

Last edited: