DOs in CANADA???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sasevan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm debating between applying to MD or DO programs. A question that I have about DOs is whether US trained and licensed DOs can practice in Canada. One day I may want to move up to our northern neighbor and would not want to find myself without the possibility of practicing medicine there.
Does anyone know the answer???

Peace.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, just this past march I was at the AAO convention in Ottawa and they announced that DO's are allowed to practice in Canada. However, this is new a new thing, so how canadians are accepting DO's???? I have no idea

Hey bustbones26,

Cool.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks for the info and good news.

Peace. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Canadian law may now accept DO's, but when I talked to a Canadian IM attending he had a very poor view of osteopathic medicine. Keep in mind, however, that in the rest of the world, DO's perform OMM only. He had no idea that DO's in the U.S. are fully liscenced to practice the full scope of medicine. Canadian patients may be a bit more skeptical about your initials than Americans.
That said, I'm glad to see that the AOA is making progress in publicizing and equalizing the DO degree.

DO's can practice in Canada, however their scope is determined by the particular province they are in.

The last time I checked, DO's were allowed full practice rights in about half of the provinces and only allowed to use manual medicine in the rest.

You can contact the AOA.

After my exam on Monday I will dig through some info I have at home. I believe I have a copy of the most recently published list from the AOA as to where DO's can practice and with what sort of rstrictions, if any.