DO's in emergency medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thebeyonder

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to apply to a DO program.
Do DO's have a hard time gaining
residencies in emergency medicine?

------------------
tb

Members don't see this ad.

You actually have a better chance securing an ER residency as a DO due to being able to apply to both MD & DO residency programs!

There are more to choose from compared to your fellow MD collegue!
biggrin.gif

Rob
MS III

Members don't see this ad :)
The only ER residencies in Oklahoma are DO programs. OU (a MD school) had one but didn't know how to run it correctly so they were shut down.

Speaking of OU's inability to run a program correctly:

The local news channels are reporting that OU was required by the federal government to stop all federally funded research in Tulsa a few months ago due to protocol violations. In addition, OU suspended all research being conducted on Tulsa campuses yesterday. A task force has been set up to "study" the problems encountered.

This apparently all stemmed from a skin cancer study in which patients were being given a vaccine. 28 of 96 (I think) patients have died, although I do not believe that a link has been substantiated at this time. The researchers stopped the study, and sent letters to participants saying that the study was being stopped due to an inability of the manufacturer to supply the vaccine. It was later found that this problem did not exist, and the patients were "misinformed" about the study.