DO's in Path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lambeufl

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently an MSI attending Western University in Pomona, and I was wondering if there are many DO?s in Pathology? I am sure I will encounter some bias when applying for Path residency simply because I will be a DO, so I would like to do everything possible to increase my chances to be accepted into a Path residency. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do now to increase my chances of obtaining a Path residency?

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,
I am also a DO MSI who is planning on going into path. There are a few DO's who go into path, although it is definitely not a popular choice. As a whole, pathology is not extremely competitive, although indications from this board are that the numbers of applications are on the increase. Even so, it will probably never be ultra-competitive. The things that I think will help make a DO's application more competitive are : 1. Strong board scores, 2. research, I am currently applying for several summer research internships (check out NIH), 3.post-sophomore fellowship in path, there are several of these across the country and most include some research time which should help with #2 above. These are only my impressions. There are so many others on this board who are infinitely more qualified to help. Good luck!

Hey,

Bama is on the money.

The only thing I can maybe add would be to consider doing some away rotations at the programs you are really interested in attending. This is an awesome way to get your foot in the door.

My program interviewed all the DOs that applied and we are already taking one that applied last year, but wanted to do a traditional internship first. I think you will find that most programs will treat you no differently than an allopathic grad and if they do you probably don't want to go there anyway.

Good luck.