Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

DOs in Sport Med Fellowships

Discussion in 'Family Medicine' started by cbest, May 14, 2007.

1. cbest

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey Gang, just wondering how difficult it is for a DO to get a sport medicine fellowship? Are there any DO friendly programs? Which geographic region would be most conducive to cracking a sport med fellowship for a DO? Thanks very much for the info!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sophiejane

sophiejane Exhausted
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Have you tried posting this on the osteopathic forum? I'm a DO (or will be in 5 days!!), and I've never heard of that being an issue. In fact, some of the more high-profile sports medicine docs over the years have been DOs. ONe of our faculty at TCOM used to be the team doc for the Cowboys.

It makes a lot of sense, really. I think there is an appreciation for our understanding of structural medicine, as well as manip techniques in sports medicine. Plus it's one of the places where you probably get to use your skills the most, outside of a pure OMT practice.

As for regions, I don't think it matters.

Hopefully someone with experience in this can chime in, in the meantime, that's my .02!

Best of luck

4. Tn Family MD

Tn Family MD Junior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'd bet that all FM sponsored sports med fellowships consider DO and MD candidates equally. There really is no distinction between the two in the real world that I can tell.

5. cbest

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks very much gang! The info is always appreciated!!!

6. Static Line

Static Line America's Guard of Honor

Not exactly. In my experience the only area that I have seen osteopathic OMM treatment be of benefit is in the athletic community. That's mainly because of the beating and stress many athletes subject their bodies to, specifically the musculoskeletal system. So the sports med program where I am at is an osteopathic SM program for primary care trained physicians. It would be unlikely they would accept an MD into it. I say unlikely because any MD who learned OMM may have a shot unless of course, the SM fellowships fall under the same regulations that residencies fall under. I am not sure on that point. However, we do have some MDs here who have learnt OMM, and are part of the SM program and are even better than some of the DOs at OMM. Anything is possible. All other aspects I agree that there is no difference or distinction between the two.

7. Red Beard

Attending Physician
    I am not sure about fellowships, but there are a LOT of DO team physicians in college and professional sports, particularly in the NBA. Someone must be training them!

8. Static Line

Of course there are DOs everywhere in SM. I was only responding to TN Fam. My only point was that not all SM fellowships treat both degrees equally. And by that I mean the osteopathic community prefers DOs in osteopathic SM programs because of the OMM skills. On the other hand DOs are welcomed into the allo communities SM programs as well and sometimes DOs make it in.

9. sophiejane

sophiejane Exhausted
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Surely you don't mean that the way it sounds? The 3-4 pot-bellied middle aged men and older ladies I treated every day on my FM rotation would probably disagree. They always left smiling, and some came in just for OMT. I would hardly call these folks athletes. Unless there is Olympic Channel Surfing now.
    ;)

10. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio.
    Physician Gold Donor SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Don't laugh...we already have curling. ;)

11. Tn Family MD

Tn Family MD Junior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ha Ha. I felt like I had stepped into bizarro world there for a minute. Is this guy really discriminating AGAINST MD's with his bad self and his DO degree?

Listen, cupcake, everyone knows there are DO only programs out there. It just so happens that most MD programs are nice enough to consider your apps as well. You better get that attitude lined out. If allo programs decided to quit training DO's you ALL would be screwed. There would be no where near enough training sites and many of you would be left out in the cold. You all depend on allo programs for training. Don't forget that.

12. sophiejane

sophiejane Exhausted
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    You know, your tone here is less than collegial, cupcake, and I think you intended that.

I don't believe Static Line meant any disrespect and implied no discrimination. They were just pointing out that his school has an OMM-heavy SM fellowship and it might be difficult for a physician to get in without those skills--they in no way implied authority on the matter.

As you said, "everyone knows there are DO only programs out there." Likewise, there are implicit (though not written down anywhere) rules at some programs that don't allow DO students to rotate there and certainly they don't accept them into their residency programs.

Your reaction was a bit extreme--let's ***please*** not turn this into an MD vs DO thread. With the exception of pre-meds (and I think even they are getting weary of them), everyone is really over it. Thanks.

13. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio.
    Physician Gold Donor SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    I work with a couple of sports med docs, one of whom is a DO. I think the fact that he offers OMM as a treatment option, when appropriate, is a plus. Many of my patients have found it helpful.

14. Static Line

Slap, Slap (that is me slapping your face saying "get a grip on yourself"). I never intended any disrespect of the MD degree, and I don't believe my tone suggested such. And I certainly don't want to digress the FM forum into a pre-osteo us versus them forum either. I prefer to keep the pre-meds out. I know and have worked with many MDs for over 10 years in EMS and many were very good competent physicians, and I don't understand how you could have interpreted what I said as a "dis" of MDs. It was far from. I am not going to explain myself, just go back and reread what I wrote and inject a different attitude into it and you might pull something else out of it.

And yes, I do know the lack of training spots by the AOA as I plan to head into the allo world for residency training. Infact, if you are in TN I plan on UT. So if you are in the area when I get there come meet me, and I, a future DO, would like to take my MD colleague out for a cup of coffee (I don't drink ETOH). I'll buy the first round, and let you buy all the rest.

Cupcake out!