DO's in the ER in NY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

williamChenry

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how common/easy it is for a DO to get into an Emergency Medicine residency in NY (city or long island area)?

Members don't see this ad.

williamChenry said:
Anyone know how common/easy it is for a DO to get into an Emergency Medicine residency in NY (city or long island area)?

I can't tell you how easy it is, but go to http://www.emramatch.org. Look at each of the residency programs. It has information about the number of DOs that have or are in the program in the last few years.

Wook

yikes..doesnt appear to be many at all :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
umm...I just took a quick look....most of the ny residencies have a few DO's in them....and when you consider that only around 1 out of every 20 docs is a DO, seeing more then that ratio is considered an OVER-representation...

williamChenry said:

There are DO EM residents in NYC. I know someone who's a 3rd year EM resident at Albert-Einstein Jacobi. She's a graduate of NYCOM.

Do some searching. They're out there. Especially in EM...

There is a good Osteopathic program at St. Barnabas in the Bronx. Not pretty, not fancy, but high volume and a decent amount of trauma cases every day. The PD and some of the attendings are excellent. They also offer EM-IM and EM-FM as well.

It's about a 30 minute trip by subway/bus from the upper east side.

Wash U has 4

Lincoln medical center
Mamonodies
St Luke Roosevelts (my personal fav, I'd have gone there except for the friggin snow!)
Kings County (GREAT program)

Not so much DO love from:
NYU/Bellevue
Cornell's
Mt. Saini

the director for stonybrook university hospital's EM program is a DO. ::thumbs up::

UMDNJ-SOM has a good EM/IM combined residency, check it out