DO's Job outlook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eh3927

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When looking for a residency and jobs...does having a MD over DO make a significant difference?I would really appreciate other's insight? How competative is the market out there for physicians who graduated with DO's.
I will be starting PCOM next year...I am very excited over the prospect of becoming a physician. I just want to make sure that all the burden that I would be placing my husband and child through...I hope to be able to find a good job and payoff my loans...

Members don't see this ad.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that. Professor A. Dumbledore••

There will be people that don't like you because you are a woman, because you have kids, because of your race or religion-- but if you are the best at what ever you do, you will succeed! I know do's at yale, mayo, & john hopkins-- not because they are do's-- but because they proved themselves to be the best at what they do. There may always be a stigma against do's, mostly in the pre-med arena-ie. applicants-- but once out in the "real medical world" we all work side by side and all i will care about is that the person next to me can do what i expect them to be able to do, when they need to do it. Most "educated" md's (whatever that means) will tell you that it is all the same once we graduate so i wouldn't worry too much about differences. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!!

Credible sources tell me that hardly any attention is paid to whether the physician is a DO or MD when selecting residents.

I am further advised that the osteopathic schools are more likely to admit a non-traditional student.

In whatever you choose, do your best.

I definitely agree. Out of all the doctors I've worked with, none of them said anything bad about being a DO. Most have told me that, DO = MD as long both are competent.

As a DO student, the only people out there that really cause a lot of problems are the ignorant ones and the ones that like to josh around.